looking for budget ssd

Mashari_F

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
looking for an ssd to replace my laptops hdd, cpu core i5 4200u

i have no experience in ssds, could you help me?

i prefer sizes 250gb or 500 gb

Solution
The EVO uses what's known as TLC NAND. In general, TLC NAND has less write endurance than MLC or SLC. SLC is the best, but very expensive and only really feasible for enterprise use, it has the highest write endurance. MLC is more common than SLC and has less write endurance than SLC but more than TLC. So in general SLC > MLC > TLC. TLC is the cheapest solution however and that is why they are cheaper.

Before you go off and spend more money on a MLC though, I have to tell you that the write endurance of TLC is more than enough for the average user. Especially if you don't fill the drive to capacity. I have a 500GB 840 EVO and it has 67.88TB of host writes on it. SMART still shows it at like 99% endurance, I've had it like 3...

Mashari_F

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016

im in ksa, but i can buy it online, because prices here are crazy

The EVO uses what's known as TLC NAND. In general, TLC NAND has less write endurance than MLC or SLC. SLC is the best, but very expensive and only really feasible for enterprise use, it has the highest write endurance. MLC is more common than SLC and has less write endurance than SLC but more than TLC. So in general SLC > MLC > TLC. TLC is the cheapest solution however and that is why they are cheaper.

Before you go off and spend more money on a MLC though, I have to tell you that the write endurance of TLC is more than enough for the average user. Especially if you don't fill the drive to capacity. I have a 500GB 840 EVO and it has 67.88TB of host writes on it. SMART still shows it at like 99% endurance, I've had it like 3 years now. I'm probably going to replace this drive for something larger long before it starts having problems.

If you want a drive with MLC, then you can look at the Samsung 850 Pro's, however they are more expensive. If you are an average user, you'll never likely wear out a TLC drive.

Solution

rkzhao

Respectable
Mar 8, 2016
The Samsung 850 EVO is nice for performance.

A Crucial BX100 would be a good choice too. You don't get the performance of the Samsung but you gain some reliability benefits like having basic power loss protection and MLC for about the same price as the Evo for a 250.

Oh also, something to note with both Crucial and Samsung and any 250 or 500GB SSD, a 250GB SSD has the same physical capacity as a 240GB or 200GB. They should all be 256GB drives (multiples of 2s) with only the specified capacity available for use and the remaining capacity reserved as "over provisioning". Higher over provisioning essentially gives the drive more backup NAND to shift workloads around and reduce wear to increase the lifespan. 240 has 6.6% over provisioning which is a good safe amount for most consumer use cases. A 250GB (or 500GB) SSD has about a third of that at 2.4%. But like techgeek said, the average user isn't going to see any issues.