Looking for build advice and motherboard recommendations

rehamrick14

Honorable
May 21, 2013
Hey guys,
I'm picking out components for a new pc for a friend interested in getting into pc gaming, and I feel pretty good about the parts, though if you see anything I should reexamine, let me know. Basically I'm going for a Mid range build with a couple nice parts to sort of "future proof" his PC (CPU). The only thing I'm really not sure of is the motherboard. I've never really been well-read on motherboards, so I don't know how good the one I chose for him is. Basically I just need some advice on anything I could change to save a little money on, or anything I should spend a little extra on that I'm not already. I went with a gtx 950 because my friend doesn't have a ton of money right now, but he will by the end of the year and may be interested in buying one of the new NVIDIA pascal video cards. Anyway, if you guys could just let me know if everything looks good or if there's anything I should change, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Build:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
CPU
Intel Core i5-6600 (doesn't intend to overclock)
GPU
EVGA GeForce GTX 950 02G-P4-2957-KR 2GB SSC
PSU
Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Storage
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Memory
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Case
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Windows 10
Total Price: $834 ($788 after mail in rebates)

Solution

Mr Hat

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Get a B150(M) mobo, those mobos have the 1151 socket too, support DDR4, but cannot handle OCs. Since he won't do that, you're fine. My B150M came with 6 SATA ports, and 8 USB ports, I think that should do :). It's cheaper than a Z170 ofc. Brand doesn't really matter, just take one of the bigger brands, like MSI or ASUS.

Solution

rehamrick14

Honorable
May 21, 2013

OK cool, I'll check it out. Everything else look good to you? Especially the power supply?

Mr Hat

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015

Looks fine to me, that's gonna be able to make enough power for this system for sure, and Cooler Master is known for quality. Good luck with your build, and btw, you made a little mistake in your original post, look what you wrote as case :p. Don't forget to select the best answer, good luck, and have fun building! Idk about the pricing in your region, but the i5-6500 is a better CPU choice for this build, if possible. The 6600 is a bit overkill :), unless he's gonna do youtube ofc, you need that CPU performance for compressing videos.

rehamrick14

Honorable
May 21, 2013

Hahaha yea your right. Thanks so much for your help!