Looking for Computer $1200 Budget Pre-built or my first build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Its a wise suggestion by Dranzer. Beside holding on to the GPU for now, you can also check the used market for good deals. You can build the below rig with quality parts and try to get the GPU down the line...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($189.39 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.79 @ OutletPC)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1009.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-21 11:39 EST-0500

Or the other way you could do it, so you could game now. Get the above build and pick up a cheap placeholder GPU like a GTX 1050 or 1050ti, or RX 560 or something, hold the rest of your money and use the cheaper GPU to get you by until you get the GPU you really want, then sell the cheaper one at that time to recoup some of your money.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018
With a gtx 1080 and i7-8700 at roughly $1650, is that the same worth of deal? If that deal isnt as good as the first one Dranzer mentioned, ill keep waiting.

Here is the list:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($339.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF Z370 Plus Gaming ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($166.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.49 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design - Core 2300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $989.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-21 12:38 EST-0500

Get this and save for GPU. You will have time to add up more to budget. Get the high end GPU like GTX2080/1180 when released. That is the best thing to do if possible.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018
Well I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to buy some parts now and find a GPU later. That being said I have a few options... First, I can wait 4 months or so and see what happens to prices and build a computer. Second, I can purchase a pre-built computer right now while the president's day sale is still active. The deals I have found include: http://deals.dell.com/mpp/productdetail/x7s /or/ http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop/dpcwxtc01h?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjEzNzkuOTksIk9DIjoiZHBjd3h0YzAxaCIsIlF0eSI6MSwiTW9kcyI6W3siSWQiOjYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiR1QxMDcwIiwiUHJpY2UiOjM1MC4wfV19LHsiSWQiOjgsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiMjU2RzFUQiIsIlByaWNlIjoyNjAuMH1dfV19 Third, I could wait a month or so and keep actively looking for a better deal on a pre-built. Lastly, I could go with the original build that @Hellfire13 suggested which is: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CgQFfH

With all of that, my least picked solution would be the first one... I don't know what will happen to prices and I have PC Fever! Please give me your opinions ASAP as a few of the solutions are time sensitive :)
Thanks guys!

Well I've come to the conclusion that I don't want to buy some parts now and find a GPU later.

My opinion remains the same as the first post. This is not a good time to build your own machine. Prices cannot and should not get any worse from now, so waiting should be a good option.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018
I let the deal pass me by last night, i felt i was rushing it and that it wasn't the correct time. With the last builds both dranzer and hellfire suggested, which is better? Also should I buy a temporary GPU like ohiou had suggested earlier? This would allow me to build and use my new rig, then upgrade gpu and sell the old one a few months down the road. My reasoning for this would be to start streaming now rather than a few months down the road :) thanks!

It's totally up to you. I actually did see this card a little bit ago if you wanted to get a temporary card. It's about 50 less than the 1050 ti and should be I think maybe within 10% give or take of the performance? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814932003

But as far as builds, I would say both are good. I like the bigger power supply of Dranzer's build for when you get ready for a new GPU later, but I like the idea of the 2TB storage drive in the first build. So do a hybrid imo. As far as a temporary card, even if you sell it later for say 75, at least you recoup part of the cost, and you can game/stream now. Or you could always set up a HTPC later too.

No big difference besides having Storage and OS. Hellfire13's build has more storage. Mine comes with OS.

Also, on a temporary video card, if you wanted better performance than the 560 or 1050 ti, you could look at for example a 1060 3gb or 6gb, or even an RX 570 or 580. I had an RX 480 8gb until recently(sold it to make some cash from the mining craze and bought a 1050 ti so I could run my system), but with my Ryzen 1600 and only 8gb of ram, if you were playing at 1080p 60hz, the RX480(same card basically as 580) seemed very smooth to me and would run most things on max or close to max settings. Not a 1070, but was a fine card. Wouldn't mind having it still, but I did make some cash on it, and the 1050ti will do as a holdover until prices get back to reasonable levels again.

No need to spend on GPU as that would be waste of money even if you go for low end card. Intel i7-8700K is enough to handle majority games which are not too graphic intense like wildlands at low to mid settings with ease. Save as much as possible and add bit more to budget and add in high end GPU if possible. Doing that you will get very powerful and long lasting build.

Intel has never been that good with graphics. Maybe they are improving with AMD's old GPU guy there hahaha:). I'm not saying I don't believe you, but that would be more believable if he were building a system with say a Ryzen 5 2400g.

In all truth, yes, it will do it just as you say I'm sure. But right now, you can't touch the integrated card performance. Unless on low end stuff. Although as good as the new Ryzen APU's are, it will be interesting to see 5 or 10 years down the road if people are still even too worried about integrated cards for builds, or if it boils down to how good of an APU you can afford.

They've come a long way then. Did you also see the news that it looks like intel is working on a dedicated GPU? Apparently it was rumored somewhere that they were working on a dedicated lower end card, but who's to say they may not in a few years compete with AMD/Nvidia?

Yes and also heard that Apple were working on their own GPU.

dreamimpulse

Reputable
Feb 18, 2018

Appreciate the feedback, I agree, I lose out on 8700k, which to my knowledge isn't a huge difference since I don't plan to ever overclock. I also lose out on no SSD and 1070ti but this has an 8700 while the previous build had an i5-8400... I think the only upgrade I need for this pc is to buy an SSD. This pc also has an optane hdd which is supposed to be similar to having the speeds of an ssd I believe?