Looking for cost effective upgrades - Fallout 4 will be getting played after Xmas day!

niallcameron

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hi Foks,

My PC is 3 years old, Is there anything you can suggest to improve it to give it another 3 years would be awesome. I play a few games, skyrim, fallout 3 &NV. I'd like to get another GPU but not sure what will fit my setup., Was thinking X-Firing my 6870?

I have about £150 to spend come January.

MY PC
Intel® Core™ i5-2500K, 3.30GHz@4.5 GHz,
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard,
16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz,
Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 CO CPU Cooler,
OCZ StealthXStream2 700w Silent ATX2 Power Supply 80PLUS,
Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6870 1024MB GDDR5,
Intel 520 Cherryville ssd
64Gb mSata for OS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s

Thoughts welcome!

N

your best bet now that amd has stop supporting your gpu is wait for the newer pascal and amd gpu dropping in 2016 and replacing your older gpu. the i5 and mb i would not replace it till it failed. the newer skylake and haswell cpu are slightly faster in real world but not by much.

migronesien

Honorable
Your CPU is still totally fine, especially with that OC. 16gb RAM is plenty and a 700w PSU will support pretty much any GPU out there.
You only need to upgrade your GPU and you'll have a pretty good PC again. :)

Don't Xfire cards that old. Just get a new one and you'll be fine. Also i'm not really a fan of Xfire.

The R9 380 or the GTX 960 would both fit your build and are within your budget and both should give you about double the framerates you're getting at the moment. The R9 380 is a bit more powerfull but needs more watt. But since you got a 700w unit that should be no problem.

So i suggest picking up an AMD R9 380. :)