Looking for CPU 5years+

Rafiul27

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014
I'm a casual gamer and bit of an enthusiast with hardware. Want a cpu and mobo upgrade to last me at least the next 5 years before i upgrade. Budget anything upto £250 but obviously doesn't mean i will spend that much if not needed, so more can be spent on the mobo.

Looking at the

Intel i7-6700 both K and non K variants (£210-£235)
Intel i7-4790k (£250)
Intel i5-7600 both K and non K variants (£225-£240)

I'm not too into overclocking although i have some experience in it, the games i play don't need overclocking for optimum performance hence opting for non K variants. I have a gtx1060 and would like 60+fps of course on high/ultra settings.

I'm very aware of ryzen, but the only two processors in my price range are the ryzen5 1600 and ryzen5 1600x. No idea how well they perform since they aren't released but just from looking at the ryzen7 benchmarks, i think those intel chips above will perform better.

Any good motherboard and cpu combinations, please comment below

thanks

Solution

Rafiul27

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

i don't play anything too demanding cpu/gpu wise. moba games/mmorpgs.

but i want to get into more pc gaming or leave a window if i ever want to immerse myself into the full extent so essentially, "future proofing" the CPU upgrade (obviously no such thing in technology to be honest) so maybe getting a 7700 or 7700k is my best bet?

since i don't want to touch the cpu for a good 5 years. It's cheaper than upgrading every 3-4 years with mid to top range components for sure, rather get the best and keep it for a long while... maybe i've answered my own question lol. i don't know

Rafiul27

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

not now, overclocking is only provides a small benefit in my opinion, only huge overclocks provide a reasonable performance increase but at the cost of cpu health.

if i buy a high end cpu, i'd consider oc'ing after a few years of stock usage to squeeze out more use and prolong a cpu upgrade

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
I agree with Trender, and as your looking for something to last 5 years plus, ryzen would be perfect, AMD say they will support the hardware for at least 4 years, Intel on the other hand are coming out with something new this year, and rest assured there will be something new next year which will then require a new motherboard because they decided to change the socket by 1 pin again, and within 2 years the 7700/7600 etc will be out of date.

Rafiul27

Honorable
Jan 13, 2014

i'd be looking at the ryzen7 1700 in that case.

was looking at the ryzen 5, but i think i'd rather get the 7 series for "future proofing". even from the benchmark videos i have seen, intel always does better regardless of ryzen's benchmark scores etc.

the other thing holding me back hugely is, AMD has always sucked with single core processing, games i play at the moment are more single core cpu demanding

is there anything very technical or innovative that ryzen does over kaby lake.. enlighten me or link me thanks

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

Bios updates are on there way to fix some things, AMD are currently working on a microcode AGENSA update which will allow RyZen to officially support 3600mhz memory, and some other things, yes I agree RyZen 7 single core performance isnt upto Intel standard, but the difference is like 8%, are you really going to notice that, the trouble is, everyone is comparing it to the 7700K, but it wasnt built to compete with that chip, it was built to keep up with the 6850K and 6900 series, Broadwell 6 and 10 core CPUs, and if you watch youtube video's based on that information, it does exactly that, even in some cases when Intel has the upper hand, dont forget these Intel chip run in quad channel memory where as RyZen is Dual channel, and still beats Intel. have a look at this, also be sure to check out the price for an average extra 8% performance : http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1800X/3605vs3916

Even in multi threaded games, its not rubbish like people are making out, 60+fps I get in games I play at 1080p 60hz, do you need anymore than that ? im not running synthetic benchmarks, I actually playing games with MSI afterburner OSD running, real life, 4k and higher resolution is even better.

Here's som,ething to watch about after all the hype cooled down, very interesting watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylvdSnEbL50

If your just going to use it for gaming, then id agree and say you may as well get the 7700K, however, id also say, if your just going to be gaming, you might as well get a playstation or XBOX, but as your not, you're going to be using it for redering, then the 1700 is probably defo the better choice.

Someone also mentioned waiting for Canon lake, however, Intel already messed up canon lake, it was supposed to be 10nm architecture, but they can't get it right yet, so it's going to be 14nm, the same as kaby and sky lake, which means, hardly any performance gain, another money making scam, but then they will continue working on 10nm, and by the end of this year, possibly the beginning of next year, they'll release it, and canon, kaby and sky will be old school.

I'm by no way a fan boy of Intel or Amd, I just got fed up of intels tactics, every 6 to 9 months coming out with a new cpu, minimal changes, pretty much no noticeable changes for the average user, and then doing things like changing the socket by as little as 1 pin, so now you can't just change your cpu, you need a new motherboard too, twice this has happened in the last 3 or 4 years with Intel to what I know of.
Socket 1150 to 1151 and then socket the 1156 to 1155, really???

So now there's talk of Canon lake being another socket change, and then there 10nm will be yet another socket change, so now we're up to about 6 socket changes in 4 years, or you could just go with AM4 which Amd say they're going to support for 4 plus years, which means, if they bring out a new cpu in 2 years time and you feel like buying it, you won't need a new board, just a simple bios flash.

Solution
If you can get an i7 6700 for £210 then you should go for it - I don't know where you're getting that pricing though because the cheapest I see it is £280+.

On a personal level I'm waiting for the r5 1600 , I honestly think that's the sweet spot CPU for performance / price by a long stretch at the minute.

kol12

Honorable
Jan 26, 2015

Intel apparently has 6 core mainstream chips coming soon, think it might be Coffelake... I would imagine these will be good for both gaming and productivity and could be a strong contender against Ryzen...