Looking for custom gaming computer company that has payment plans for people with no credit HELP PLEEEEASE!!!!!

Feb 23, 2019
I’m desperate!!! I’m disabled and on social security disability income. I have no credit card and not allowed to have one says Ssi (don’t wanna start a discussion or disagreement debate because I KNOW what they said TO MY FACE) and so I have zero credit established but I wanna get a nice rig that I can pay off in installments. Please help me out!!! PLEEEASE!!! I’m sick and tired of buying garbage eBay gaming computers on the cheap and Craigslist crap !!!!!!!

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The real hitch here is going to be the "gaming" computer aspect of it. There are quite a few rental companies that will rent to high risk at a high cost. There are a few retailers that operate in that space as well but have never seen any of them have something I would call "gaming" available.

Feb 23, 2019
I have a bank issued debit I pay all my finances with. Does that count towards my credit? And if so any companies (not that rental garage please) that cater to bad credit people in northern Virginia????

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I’m kinda a rube at the whole credit thing as you might have noticed;) I use a bank issued debit card to pay bills and stuff. Does that count as credit?

Credit is a funny thing. If you don't "have" any credit it's much akin to having bad credit. When you do develop credit, paying bills doesn't so much help it, but can quickly hurt it if you are late.

With my own experience with this, I found one of the quickest and easiest ways to build credit is to obtain a secured credit card. It's a high interest card that you provide the money (pre paid) as the line of "credit" you are using. As a for instance, you pay them $500 and have that much available. Use that to pay for mundane items you need, like groceries and the like. Pay the balance, in full, on time. Do that for about six months and you will have built up a little credit. Typically from there you can get store cards and other unsecured high rate cards. After you work those for a while you have built up a credit rating, that based on other factors can be used to buy a car, rent a place, etc.

Edit to add that I may have skipped over or not noted all the details in your initial post.
IMO your best bet is to use some self control and be frugal to a degree that you can save up for something better than what you have been getting.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019
Dude as I explained I CANNOT get a credit card SSI won’t allow it!!!!! So let’s FORGET that idea please and go back to the original topic. IF I got a credit card my ssdi would be cute COMPLETELY and I’d be HOMELESS !!!!!! So do I count as bad credit? I’m pretty darn good at paying my bills on time. If so what are my options as far as companies go?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Dude as I explained I CANNOT get a credit card SSI won’t allow it!!!!! So let’s FORGET that idea please and go back to the original topic. IF I got a credit card my ssdi would be cute COMPLETELY and I’d be HOMELESS !!!!!! So do I count as bad credit? I’m pretty darn good at paying my bills on time. If so what are my options as far as companies go?

Yes, I added an edit below, missed that part.

At one point in my youth I used a place called Fingerhut. They charged me out the fanny for an item that I "had to have" with no credit. I took a quick look at their page and would have say that still applies, but to look it appears that they may require some manner of credit now, as you have to apply for their "card".

Something to consider, and without knowing your level and means of disability. I know there are rules about working, how and to what level...but perhaps you have some skill or marketable ability that you could reach out to your circle of friends network to propose an off the books barter arrangement?

You arent going to find a company willing to finance a PC with zero credit.
Have you actually tried to see what your credit score is? You may have one.
Or have you tried getting financed by one of the big name companies (Amazon does it)? Worst case they say no, but then you know for sure.

Not going to get into the whole SSI and whatnot, but I would have to assume you got some poor information regarding credit.
If none of the above work, you can always ask SS again and confirm what was said to you, and potentially ask why so we all could learn.

Feb 23, 2019
To give you an idea of the level of disability. I used to work at McDonald’s and I did and still do run my own computer business w/o a credit card (which cripples it quite a bit) I have a non bank issued reloadable debit cards I use for company purchases but ssi ------about it soooo

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 23, 2019
You arent going to find a company willing to finance a PC with zero credit.
Have you actually tried to see what your credit score is? You may have one.
Or have you tried getting financed by one of the big name companies (Amazon does it)? Worst case they say no, but then you know for sure.

Not going to get into the whole SSI and whatnot, but I would have to assume you got some poor information regarding credit.
If none of the above work, you can always ask SS again and confirm what was said to you, and potentially ask why so we all could learn.
SS has made it abundantly clear NO CREDIT CARD!!!! I guess this will always be a pipe dream and I should give up now while I’m ahead eh?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I have a bank issued debit I pay all my finances with. Does that count towards my credit?

Potentially. Do you have a cell phone bill, things like that? Those will report to credit agencies.

And if so any companies (not that rental garage please) that cater to bad credit people in northern Virginia????

The thing is, we don't know if you have "bad" credit - that's one thing.
If you don't appear on any credit agencies radar though, you have "no" credit, which is typically viewed in a much more negative light opposed to "bad"

At the end of the day, you're going to have to apply for credit financing and see what happens - no way to know until then.

Most of the big, 'name' brands offer financing - and some stores (BestBuy, maybe?) might offer it too.
Unfortunately though,those are typically brands/stores that charge above the going rate for systems..... And add financing etc on top, and you'd be paying substantially more than a system is 'worth'.

Add to the fact you may be paying something off for years - Opt for something pretty modern (but not latest an greatest), like an 8th Gen i7 + GTX 1080 and Dell/Alienware (as an example) are going to hit you for $1,700 or something crazy as the 'base' price.
I assume most of these companies won't finance beyond 3 years. So, add 3 years of interest to that, you'll likely pay another 30-50% on top of the sticker price, if not more.
Probably a $75/month investment, for something that's remotely worthwhile at the end of the term.....

Yes but did they say as to why? I honestly want to know.

An "option" would be to set aside money each month until you can afford a system outright. Its not financing, and you have to wait to get it, but its really your only choice with the info we have. You should run a credit check though.

People with no credit buy PRE-PAID debit cards. Vendors take bank debits like credit cards, as long as the debit card has a VISA logo on it. But is up to the individual vendor whether they take debit or not, refund on debit is a huge hassle for the vendor because they have to cut you a check. Smart vendors will spell out, refund given in vouchers/credit, no cash, but I don't know this is legal everywhere hence some vendors avoid it altogether.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yes but did they say as to why? I honestly want to know.

^Agreed, I'd love to hear the specific reasoning.

I assume what they said is you likely "can't" get a credit card (as in a financial institution is unlikely to grant you one), but I can;t find anything that states you "cannot" have one.
https://www.creditkarma.com/question/can-you-have-a-credit-card-when-on-ssi/
https://www.sapling.com/7264883/credit-included-eligibility-ssi-payments
https://www.disability-benefits-hel...dit-when-receiving-social-security-disability

Admittedly, it's probably not a great idea to have one.....

People with no credit buy PRE-PAID debit cards. Vendors take bank debits like credit cards, as long as the debit card has a VISA logo on it.

True, but that doesn't address the lack of credit long-term. Helpful for a one-off purchase though.

But is up to the individual vendor whether they take debit or not, refund on debit is a huge hassle for the vendor because they have to cut you a check.

Assuming this is a US thing, with cheques still being fairly commonplace? As, at least in Canada, UK etc, a refund to a debit card is no different to a CC refund.