[SOLVED] Looking for guidance/criticism on building 2500 euro gaming pc

Jan 29, 2019
Hello everyone, I am planning to buy a new PC from scratch, as my 8 years old companion is starting to fall behind, and I would like to jump from 1080p 60hz to 1440p 144hz (when GPU market stabilizes).

Budget: around 2500 euro, including monitor but not GPU for now as I recently upgraded from an old 580 to a 1060 6gb and I am waiting for a better deal than 2080TI.

Now I am aware that I will not get any chances at 1440p 144hz with that GPU, but the plan is to build a very solid ground for now, meaning CPU - Mobo - Ram - PSU - Case that will last me for years to come, just like my beloved i5 2500k @4.6 build did.

This is what I put together as the best possible gaming rig and "future proof" during my research:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/T8rGgw

I live in Bucharest by the way, prices are quite higher here, that same setup you see on part picker goes for 2500 euro already. Crazy if you ask me, but what can I do?

On the same topic, do you think I am being silly by buying such a monitor with no GPU to back it up for now? I just can't justify paying over 1000 euro for a "future proof?" 2080Ti, Nope.
And the used market for 1080Ti is quite dangerous since everyone and their granny were mining here in Romania, and I generally don't buy used anyway.

Maybe I could settle for a good 1080p panel for now, to take advantage of 1060 6gb for a little longer and upgrade monitor and GPU together later on, when the prices stabilize a bit.
Who knows maybe Nvidia currently supporting FreeSync and the release of "navi" by AMD will stabilize the market a bit?

I have patience and my current PC run's games fine @1080p, and since I never experienced higher resolution or hertz I am not missing it, so I can wait few months.

I am totally out of date when it comes to building a pc (I had no clue that some SSD now looks like ram for example), what are your suggestions, am I over spending for no reason on some components? Could i get the same performance of that CL 14 @3200 G.skill ram somewhere else with lower price?

Thank you for reading this long post, hope you can give me your suggestion or opinions on this.

Solution
If NAVI doesn't work out, the prices on the high end GPUs are here to stay. The GPU market has already stabalized and everything is selling below MSRP. The 2000 series Cards were launched at higher prices because Nvidia could do so because of there not being any competition in that segment (And Raytracing). The 2080TI were probably not used for mining. The mining craze was already over when they released.

I think there is nothing wrong with building your PC now and upgrading the GPU down the line. Worst case scenario, you will have to lower some games to 1080p. If you plan to buy a good monitor anyway, it doesn't make sense to buy a crappy one just to upgrade it later.

I recommend you to go ahead and upgrade and wait for info on...

rhelmar1

Respectable
May 23, 2016
If NAVI doesn't work out, the prices on the high end GPUs are here to stay. The GPU market has already stabalized and everything is selling below MSRP. The 2000 series Cards were launched at higher prices because Nvidia could do so because of there not being any competition in that segment (And Raytracing). The 2080TI were probably not used for mining. The mining craze was already over when they released.

I think there is nothing wrong with building your PC now and upgrading the GPU down the line. Worst case scenario, you will have to lower some games to 1080p. If you plan to buy a good monitor anyway, it doesn't make sense to buy a crappy one just to upgrade it later.

I recommend you to go ahead and upgrade and wait for info on NAVI. If we are lucky, They will shake up the market and we will have decently priced high end GPUs again.

The only other option I would consider is to wait for Zen 2. Maybe there is someting interesting there. But I don't think there is anything wrong with a 9700k.

Solution