Looking for help/information regarding the MSI Z170a M5 mobo and Kaby Lake compatibility

MrPulse

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015
Hi, I recently ordered most of the parts to my very first gaming rig build and two of those parts include the MSI Z170a Gaming M5 mobo and the i7 7700k CPU. I did so much research on all of the parts I ordered and made completely sure before I ordered, but I guess through all that research I completely missed the fact that Kaby Lake CPUs are not technically compatible with 100 series mobos from MSI. However, my parts are already arriving on Monday.

I did read that the 100 series mobos got a BIOS update that added support for Kaby Lake CPUs and that you can grab the update by simply using a Skylake CPU, update the BIOS and then switch to the Kaby Lake. My problem is I am building from scratch and don't have a Skylake processor on hand. I read other posts from months and months ago saying that most of the 100 series mobos should be shipping with the BIOS update already installed. It's May now, so should my mobo ship to me with the correct BIOS to support my 7700k? If so then that will save me so much trouble. If not, then I will be forced to either buy a 200 series mobo or figure out how to get my BIOS updated without already having a Skylake.

Anyway, any help and/or info will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Solution
Your info is pretty much correct. But it's hard to guess if your board will have BIOS updated. If it's new (recently built), then yes. But it can as well be something that was lying on the shelf in a shop for some time, and in such case it might not have correct BIOS. Anyway, don't worry yet. There's nothing you can do about it right now, and you have knowledge, so you are prepared. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Your info is pretty much correct. But it's hard to guess if your board will have BIOS updated. If it's new (recently built), then yes. But it can as well be something that was lying on the shelf in a shop for some time, and in such case it might not have correct BIOS. Anyway, don't worry yet. There's nothing you can do about it right now, and you have knowledge, so you are prepared. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Solution

MrPulse

Reputable
Apr 8, 2015

Thank you for the quick response.