[SOLVED] Looking for help/tips to overclock my Fx 6300 ...thanks in advance

Apr 1, 2020
Hello guys,

so I recently got back into overclocking my rig (its not new) I have Windows 7 a AMD Fx 6300 Vishera CPU, Asus M5A78L -M LE USB3 Motherboard, Stock cooler, 8 GB Corsair DDR3 (dont know much about it cuz its really old xD), 1TB HDD, a Strix GTX 970 (GPU already OC to the limit). I´ve watched alot of Youtube Tutorials and tryed out a few things dont worry I kept and eye on the temp and mate sure to stop when it got to hot I didnt go to far with anything and I was at 4.04 Ghz Max and went back to 3.9 Ghz cuz I noticed that it was to hot and the cores where jumping way to much from 4.04 Ghz to 3.02 Ghz I have my HT set to 2400 and my NB to 2000 (tell me if I need to change it please) now I read a lot of posts and googled alot on what could help but nothing changed I have Installed Intel Stress test, Core Temp, Prime95, Amd Overdrive, GPU - Z and a normal GPU Benchmark if any of u guys could give me tips or help me or tell me where the limit is it would be highly apreciated

Thanks for your time :3

Solution

Do you see where it says it uses the 760G chipset? In a word, don't. Don't even attempt to OC that CPU on that board. It was a mid range board when it came out, it doesn't handle 125W CPU well. The VRMs on that board are few and garbage. You are best off just using that system until you can get a better one. I have no idea why AMD allowed that chipset to run those chips. One of the worst decisions they ever made. We constantly see people come here asking about it. I'm sorry for the bad news but I wouldn't even try.

4745454b

Titan

Do you see where it says it uses the 760G chipset? In a word, don't. Don't even attempt to OC that CPU on that board. It was a mid range board when it came out, it doesn't handle 125W CPU well. The VRMs on that board are few and garbage. You are best off just using that system until you can get a better one. I have no idea why AMD allowed that chipset to run those chips. One of the worst decisions they ever made. We constantly see people come here asking about it. I'm sorry for the bad news but I wouldn't even try.

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

logainofhades

Titan
You could try and search the used market, for an intel i7/xeon e3 1230, or better, 2nd through 4th gen. That would allow you to reuse your ram. Otherwise, I would wait until you can get a more proper upgrade, to something like this. Sticking money, into a dead platform, doesn't make much sense.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (€124.80 @ Alza)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€110.80 @ Alza)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€85.89 @ Alternate)
Total: €321.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 20:15 CEST+0200

Reactions: Karouko

4745454b

Titan
I didn't suggest a new board because it's a waste. The entire system needs to go. It's rather pointless to spend $80ish on a new board for that 6300 when that can get you a new board for a new CPU that is faster. I would not spend any money at all on the board/CPU/RAM. It's done. It had it's time and now has been replaced/passed by both camps. To try and eek out more is pointless. Sorry.