Looking for help with a PC build.

Yanzir

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Hi all, i'm looking to build a PC to last me for a fair time (at least 2 years or so)

I'm from Pakistan, so i'll have to go with a used PC (CPU, MOBO, HDD), will replace the PSU with a brand new one just to be safe.

I'll have to buy the GPU separately and get it fitted to the build as well.

can't afford separate parts to build a PC from scratch as that will be too expensive in the local currency ( 1$ = 125 PKR).

here's my supposed build.

CPU: i5 3570

GPU: GeForce gtx 1060 6 GB OR AMD RX580 8 GB

MOBO: whatever comes with the build.

Ram: 8 Gb DDR3 1600 Mhz (for saving on costs, will go to ddr4 when i can afford)

PSU: 600W 80+ rated (bronze) PSU from a reliable brand

Storage: 1 tb HDD, will add an SSD down the line

my questions are ..

• 1. is the 3rd Gen i5 good enough to last me a couple years ? or should i try to get a system with an i5 6th gen build ? which one can help me with regards to longevity of the system?

2. which GPU should i go for between the 1060 6GB or RX580 8GB ? I want to game on 1080p with highest possible settings on the latest AAA games, with atleast 40+ fps stable.

3. will these GPUs hold good for the coming 2 years for gaming at high settings ? or will i run into performance issues in games down the road?

4. a friend suggested that i get a used GTX 980 instead. is it worth it to get a 980 over the two aforementioned GPU ?

5. Are there any bottlenecks in the system, which can cause problems in gaming performance of the PC?

I'm open to small, incremental upgrades like RAM or SSD but expensive overhauls like motherboard/CPU replacement and GPU replacement could be problematic as they cost alot in Pakistan. That's why i am asking for a setup that could last me for a certain amount of time without incurring any critical issues.

any help is much appreciated. I will be grateful for the guidance

I await your kind feedback.

Solution
1. 3rd gen is okay, though if you could swing an i7 that would be better. Now if you went with a 6th Gen you'd need DDR4 RAM which might be more expensive but the trade off is that you can carry it forward with you into a new system years latter. 3rd Gen used DDR3 which is end of life.

2. More or less the same. The 580 does allow Freesync though and freesync monitors are cheaper than the equivalent Gysnc (Nvidia) monitors. So there is that to consider. Frankly just get which ever is cheaper. Watch out for vendors selling the half VRAM variants as if they are the full 1060 6Gb and 480 8Gb models.

3. I'd expect them to hold up just fine. But there will always be that one game that will force you to turn down some settings to get...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
1 - Whichever saves you significant money. The 6th gen will require DDR4 RAM, which is more expensive. The 3rd gen is still worthwhile, though.

2 - They are more or less tied in terms of performance, maybe the RX580 has a SLIGHT edge, but more power consumption.

3 - This is a hard question to answer, but at 1080p with max details, at 60Hz refresh, they should both hold up. It's difficult to say what brand new AAA titles will demand next year and the year after, but game makers do try to make their games enjoyable for the largest market.

4 - The GTX 980 will perform a little better than the other two cards (it's one tier higher on the GPU performance hierarchy than the RX580 or GTX 1060 6GB), however, it would be a used part, and no warranty. Unless you could get it for significantly less, it might not be worth the performance gain given the risk that there's no warranty with the card.

5 - not particularly that I can see.

Also, on an Intel system, Ivy Bridge (3rd gen) does not support DDR4. That's not too bad, though, as faster RAM is usually less important on an Intel system than a Ryzen system.

1. 3rd gen is okay, though if you could swing an i7 that would be better. Now if you went with a 6th Gen you'd need DDR4 RAM which might be more expensive but the trade off is that you can carry it forward with you into a new system years latter. 3rd Gen used DDR3 which is end of life.

2. More or less the same. The 580 does allow Freesync though and freesync monitors are cheaper than the equivalent Gysnc (Nvidia) monitors. So there is that to consider. Frankly just get which ever is cheaper. Watch out for vendors selling the half VRAM variants as if they are the full 1060 6Gb and 480 8Gb models.

3. I'd expect them to hold up just fine. But there will always be that one game that will force you to turn down some settings to get a stable 60 FPS.

4. Performance will basically be the same as the other two. Maybe a bit better or sometimes worse, remember Nvidia/AMD will spend more time optimizing drivers for their current GPUs. Also the 980 only has 4Gb of VRAM. Not really a problem right now at 1080p but could become a bottleneck in the future. Again you'll likely be happy either way but if the 980 is substantially cheaper it probably be the way to go. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-pascal,4679-3.html

5 - Not really. Don't discount a new/used Ryzen build if they have any either.

Solution