Question Looking for Help with Confirming Replacement Laptop Screen Compatibility

Aug 11, 2024
Hello all

I own an MSI GF65 Thin 10SER-1223CA and recently partially damaged the screen. The screen is still usable for practical use, but not ideal for the gaming visual experience. Though I’m sure some might argue the screen wasn’t anything great to begin with. Tbh I wasn’t a huge fan of the brightness even before the damage. The laptop is not on warranty btw and MSI customer support wasn’t a whole lot of help either as they don’t sell individual panels or confirm 3rd party parts.

I looked up some youtube tutorials on how to physically replace the screen on my model of laptop and it seems straightforward enough. I also looked up tutorials and read guides on how to find compatible panel models using tools like hwinfo and sites like panelook.com, though this part was a little less clear. I figured if I’m going through the trouble of replacing the screen, it may as well be an upgrade.

According to hwinfo, the model of screen I’m currently using is the B156HAN08.4. I found a website that sells replacement screens. One of the online customer reps informed me that if I’m looking to upgrade my screen, the model being sent would be the LP156WFG-SPT3. I compared both panels on panelook.com and as far as I can tell, just about everything looks good and checks out. It has the same size, fixation, pins and I think interface for compatibility. It also has a higher refresh rate (144 -> 165Hz), higher brightness (250 -> 300 cd/m2) and a higher color gamut.

The main thing that caught my eye and concerned me was the interface going from eDP1.4 -> eDP1.4a. Not sure if this is fine or if this spec needs to be exactly exactly the same and could cause problems otherwise. Hopefully someone with more experience with screen replacements can shed some light on this. However, even if the panel is technically compatible, maybe I’m overthinking it, but I’m also a bit worried if the upgrade could possibly put too much strain on my system like when gaming. Perhaps causing lag or worse, though maybe that could be rectified by overclocking the cpu/gpu (Intel Core i7-10750H CPU/RTX 2060 mobile)? Is it also possible I could run into the problem of not being able to modify the brightness on the new panel once it’s installed?

Would really appreciate if someone could confirm whether the LG panel is compatible with my system and lend their insight here. Please let me know if additional info is needed. Thanks.

Links:
https://www.panelook.com/B156HAN08.4_AUO_15.6_LCM_overview_48179.html
https://www.panelook.com/LP156WFG-SPT3_LG_Display_15.6_LCM_overview_51938.html