Build Advice Looking for help with gaming desktop. (UPDATED!) Build complete. Thank you everyone!

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Hi all.

I'm planning on building a new gaming computer but I need some help with if the parts I've chosen will all work together. If anyone can help me out it would be appreciated.

Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE / DeepCool AK500

MSI MPG Z690 CARBON WIFI ATX

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

Gigabyte AORUS MASTER GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case Cyan/black

These are the parts and case I have chosen so far. My top price point is about 2700.00$ CAD. I play games like Cyberpunk, Alan Wake 2, DayZ, BG3 and all sorts of things if they look interesting. If anyone has any feedback I would also appreciate that.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
In terms of parts compatibility, you're in good order. I would opt for a Z790 chipset motherboard instead of a Z6890 platform. If you parse a PCPartpicker link, mentioned your budget and your preferred purchase date, we would've been able to fine tune the build. Then again, as it is, it's good.

Would help if you include the titles you want to game with the build.

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
In terms of parts compatibility, you're in good order. I would opt for a Z790 chipset motherboard instead of a Z6890 platform. If you parse a PCPartpicker link, mentioned your budget and your preferred purchase date, we would've been able to fine tune the build. Then again, as it is, it's good.

Would help if you include the titles you want to game with the build.
Hi.

Thanks for the answer. Do you mind telling me why you would choose a Z790 over the 690? I'll add some games and price points to the above post.

Nice, well then... no objections from me :D.
Good luck with the build!

P.S.: I really like the Lian Li Lancool II, III Mesh, really good performing, plenty of space and solid build quality. The Corsair 4000D looks like a good option as well or maybe the be quiet! pure base 500DX.

Last edited:

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Nice, well then... no objections from me :D.
Good luck with the build!

P.S.: I really like the Lian Li Lancool II, III Mesh, really good performing, plenty of space and solid build quality. The Corsair 4000D looks like a good option as well or maybe the be quiet! pure base 500DX.
I was actually looking at the Lian Li Evo O11, LANCOOL II Mesh performance. Also the NZXT H9 flow. I'm like a kid in a candy shop. Need to find the right USB combination though.

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Ended up coming up with a newer build. Let me know what you guys think of this instead.

CPU - Intel Core i5-14600K

CPUC - DeepCool AK500

Mobo - MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX

GPU - Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card

RAM - Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory

CASE - LIAN LI LANCOOL III

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Looking pretty good. One small thing, I'd still prefer the Thermalright Peerless Assassin as it's generally the clear winner in terms of performance vs the AK500.
I was looking at the Thermalright but I can't get it in my area anytime soon. I can also switch it out later if need be.

Reactions: ChumP

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Hey again everyone.

I ended up getting the following PC parts for a build at very good prices. I'm looking for a new SSD however and would love some opinions. Also is a heatsink needed on a SSD?

Thanks!

Intel Core i5-14600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor​

be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler​

MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard​

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory​

Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive​

Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card​

NZXT H7 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case​

Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply​

I'm looking for a new SSD however and would love some opinions. Also is a heatsink needed on a SSD?

Some people use heatsinks on NVMe drives. Some don't. I don't.

That motherboard supports 4 NVMe drives; 3 of them PCIe 4.0; the other PCIe 5.0.

I'd probably get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe as a boot drive. You might insist on a PCIe 5.0 if you are obsessed with the latest and greatest even if you couldn't tell the difference. I think PCIe 5.0 drive temps are quite high, so you'd probably want a heatsink if you use a PCIe 5.0 drive.

For PCIe 4.0 drives, I'd look at Western Digital, Samsung, and Crucial. Not a lot of difference between them. Be sure to get the right size. I have no idea what you intend to put on it.

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018
Some people use heatsinks on NVMe drives. Some don't. I don't.

That motherboard supports 4 NVMe drives; 3 of them PCIe 4.0; the other PCIe 5.0.

I'd probably get a PCIe 4.0 NVMe as a boot drive. You might insist on a PCIe 5.0 if you are obsessed with the latest and greatest even if you couldn't tell the difference. I think PCIe 5.0 drive temps are quite high, so you'd probably want a heatsink if you use a PCIe 5.0 drive.

For PCIe 4.0 drives, I'd look at Western Digital, Samsung, and Crucial. Not a lot of difference between them. Be sure to get the right size. I have no idea what you intend to put on it.
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

I play games of all kinds. Like to max everything out when I can. Of course I'd want my OS on it. There is a Samsung 990 PRO on sale and a 980 PRO as well. Both are 1TB and about 10 dollars difference with the 990 being cheaper. Would this be a good SSD? They're PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 2.0 (990) and PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c (980). Would you mind telling me which is better?

Edit: There's also MSI SPATIUM M450 M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x 4 NVME 1.4 3d NAND internal SSD.

Last edited:

Above might be informative.

990 is newer and shows faster speeds on the spec sheet. I can't recall the details, but I think it was the model that had some firmware issues when released. Maybe that has been corrected?

You'd like to buy the one that is least likely to give you any problems. I don't know how you can find that out. Any drive can go bad.

You say you like to "max everything out". I guess that means you would have buyer's remorse if you didn't buy the latest/greatest...which points toward the 990, even if you couldn't tell the difference from the 980.

rc001

Honorable
Feb 13, 2018

Above might be informative.

990 is newer and shows faster speeds on the spec sheet. I can't recall the details, but I think it was the model that had some firmware issues when released. Maybe that has been corrected?

You'd like to buy the one that is least likely to give you any problems. I don't know how you can find that out. Any drive can go bad.

You say you like to "max everything out". I guess that means you would have buyer's remorse if you didn't buy the latest/greatest...which points toward the 990, even if you couldn't tell the difference from the 980.
I meant graphics in general. I don't need the newest things. If the 980 is going to seemingly be the same. I'll go for it if it's cheaper. However in this case it is more expensive than the 990. Thank you!

I meant graphics in general. I don't need the newest things. If the 980 is going to seemingly be the same. I'll go for it if it's cheaper. However in this case it is more expensive than the 990. Thank you!

I'd guess the 990 is cheaper even though it is newer because of the problems it had when introduced. The word gets around and some prospective buyers are spooked away from it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hey again everyone.

I ended up getting the following PC parts for a build at very good prices. I'm looking for a new SSD however and would love some opinions. Also is a heatsink needed on a SSD?

Thanks!

Intel Core i5-14600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor​

be quiet! Shadow Rock 3 CPU Cooler​

MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK MAX WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard​

Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory​

Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive​

Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card​

NZXT H7 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case​

Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply​

The motherboard comes with heatsinks for all the M.2 drives.