[SOLVED] Looking for information to upgrad my current pc

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Oct 3, 2020
Hello guys , i've read a lot of posts, but my time came to start upgrade my PC. And thus I made account for advise on a upgrade.
I mostly use it for gaming especially rocketleague r6 and fortnite.

my current rig

CPU - Intel Core i5-9600K
MOBO - Gigabyte Z390 GAMING X
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 1660 TI GAMING X 6G
PSU - Be quiet! System Power 9 600W
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16Gb (dual sticks)
Case- Cooler Master Mastercase MC500 - Midtowermodel

Cooling:
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition - CPU Cooler
Fractal Design Dynamic GP-14 2x - Fans

Storage :
1tb Seagate barracuda hdd
500gb kingston A1000 m.2 ssd

I play on 144hz monitor and I cap the fps around 180fps

I was thinking abt buying a new graphics card or a new cpu because I cant get the desired stable fps in a lot of scenarios(especially competitive fornite). I was thinking about an i7 9700k or a 3060(if NVDIA releases one) but I'm not sure what I should get.|

But my worries is always bottleneck, which
i dont know much of, except what i read from other peoples experience and dillemas.

i also should mention that I overclocked my gpu with 110+ core and 800+ memory and I multi-task a lot (bec have a dual-monitor setup) while I'm playing games).

Not sure where i should go from here, since my upgrade options are a bit limited to 1 or 2 components.
Thanks in advance and sorry for another upgrade post.

Solution
I disagree that a new GPU wouldn't be beneficial here. The 9600K is still a very good CPU that's capable of a lot.

A GPU upgrade will definitely increase FPS even at 1080p.

With $350+ he may be able to afford a 3070/3060 when they come out. AMD's lineup is also coming soon. I would suggest to wait a little bit (if you're willing) and look at some results.

That way u can compare whether a new CPU + 1660Ti or a 9600k + new GPU is a better.

Regardless of what you end up picking. The new releases this October will definitely affect market pricing.

I hope this helps.
Graphics cards DO NOT improve frame rates when you are running at low settings. Or even at medium settings when you're talking about 1080p or lower resolutions. The...
Oct 3, 2020
Not strange to me.

For the benchmarks that site dont show the 1% lows that is most important. The end game with everybody popping up walls and floors would put it under a lot more stress.

I might start with overclocking the processor if your OK doing that. You would probably need a better cooler.

The 9600K has a all core turbo speed of 4.3GHz you should be able to get that up to the 4.8 area fairly easy with proper cooling.

You said you have your FPS caped at 180 what are they dropping down to?
IT drops to 100~120 FPS.

The FIRST thing I'd do is upgrade to BIOS version F10c. Your friend clearly lacks some insights that on many newer systems upgrading the BIOS is almost as much of a necessity these days as upgrading chipset or other drivers when newer hardware is installed or fixes are released. In the old days, it's true that BIOS updates were a last resort type of thing, these days, they are pretty much a requirement for a LOT of problems or performance issues.

Update the BIOS and then go from there. I'd advise that you watch two or three Youtube videos on how to update the BIOS on your particular board OR at least on a similar Gigabyte chipset board model, so that you are well familiar with the process before doing so. Don't guess, learn how, and KNOW what you are doing when you do it. It's not complicated really, but you also don't want to just start doing stuff without any understanding of the process.

Also, the way you described your max temperatures, and the temperature you posted, tells me you really lack the experience in this area to understand what exactly it is you are trying to see. So let's go over that a little bit.

WHAT, EXACTLY, are you DOING when you see that 50 degree temperature? Is that at "idle"? What exactly do you consider "idle"? Is that at a full, steady state load, like running Prime95 Small FFT with AVX and AVX2 disabled? Because THAT is how you determine your maximum operating temperature. Is during a gaming session, and if so, is it during the MOST demanding part of the gaming session? Did you open HWinfo, play the game for an hour or so and then check back with HWinfo to see what the maximum recorded temperature was during the session? That would be helpful information too, although if you do the proper testing for maximum operating temperature there is generally no need to do that because you'll never see temperatures that high under normal gaming or usage unless you are running something that uses one of the newer AVX instructions extensively.

Oct 3, 2020
The FIRST thing I'd do is upgrade to BIOS version F10c. Your friend clearly lacks some insights that on many newer systems upgrading the BIOS is almost as much of a necessity these days as upgrading chipset or other drivers when newer hardware is installed or fixes are released. In the old days, it's true that BIOS updates were a last resort type of thing, these days, they are pretty much a requirement for a LOT of problems or performance issues.

Update the BIOS and then go from there. I'd advise that you watch two or three Youtube videos on how to update the BIOS on your particular board OR at least on a similar Gigabyte chipset board model, so that you are well familiar with the process before doing so. Don't guess, learn how, and KNOW what you are doing when you do it. It's not complicated really, but you also don't want to just start doing stuff without any understanding of the process.

Also, the way you described your max temperatures, and the temperature you posted, tell me you really lack the experience in this area to understand what exactly it is you are trying to see. So let's go over that a little bit.

WHAT, EXACTLY, are you DOING when you see that 50-degree temperature? Is that at "idle"? What exactly do you consider "idle"? Is that at a full, steady-state load, like running Prime95 Small FFT with AVX and AVX2 disabled? Because THAT is how you determine your maximum operating temperature. Is during a gaming session, and if so, is it during the MOST demanding part of the gaming session? Did you open HWinfo, play the game for an hour or so and then check back with HWinfo to see what the maximum recorded temperature was during the session? That would be helpful information too, although if you do the proper testing for maximum operating temperature there is generally no need to do that because you'll never see temperatures that high under normal gaming or usage unless you are running something that uses one of the newer AVX instructions extensively.
Thanks for this reply. I check the Hardware info when I'm in the laggiest servers of the game(lowest fps highest load 95%) I understand now that I can only determine the ACTUALLY max temp with a stressing software with prime95 FFT Avx avx2 disabled. ill do the test and Ill give you more information tomorrow on the "real max temperature". idle is when 0 programs running AND thus there are 0 loads(apart from background and windows). Ill do rreasearch on the BIos upgrade and i will do it soon. i still have a question: What cpu cooler should i get?( I've seen that you have a lot of experience with them i think a noctua nh-xx will fit but I'm asking you because you have more knowledge i geuss?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
OK I just played 4 matches till I finished 3rd. At the end all 3 of us putting up walls and blasting stuff.

CPU usage was 48% around 35 until the end, I had Epic draw distance and a mixture of mid and high everything else, caped FPS @ 165 only dropped to 145 briefly. Not trying to be the epic player just used the server it put me on. (put this on my 1080p monitor I usually use my 1440p and cap at 120.

Programs running, Discord, Frapps, and task manager.

Now I'm using a 10600K with a 1070 card. 10600K to your 9600K add about 20% for the hyperthreading and about 10% more for my overclock (fairly close estimate) that would come out to roughly you using 80% of your processor under the same circumstances My video card is in the 25% better performance area again rough estimate.. (if the game scales with that many threads I never really checked each core just the % but I did not have the large FPS drop like you)

Net speed from here (Memphis TN area) to Atlanta. Ping 21 DL 33.21mbs UL 11.93. Speedtest.net

The largest server should not matter since if it was on their end you would have issues the whole game (not just end game) since it's still limited to 100 people per match.

As you add crap to render to the screen FPS drops are normal and can sometimes just come down to the game engine not being able to keep up. The more crap you add the worse the performance will get.

Now the good, bad and ugly! To add to a already long post. Don't take any of this as a personal attack.

Send me your PC I will see what's up
, this is not going to happen so over the net we depend 100% on that the user is 100% accurate on the suggested things to try. This includes all the programs, program results and everything.

First you said your processor is running 50C with 95% load. With that processor, cooler you have, and load I can't see that as accurate unless you have disabled turbo or are using power savings in Windows.

Second you never checked the video card load when the FPS drop occurred (that could of limited your FPS if your process was 95% that could of been a factor but it still was not maxed out)

Third updating the BIOS I'm not nowhere as high on that as other people unless it has a update that specifically says it improves performance. If it's not broke and says nothing about performance don't fix it!

I still think overclocking the CPU will solve the problem with a better CPU cooler (still waiting on the video card usage)
Good coolers that would still let you upgrade the CPU if needed (and still have adequate cooling) after you overclock your current CPU to the 4.8 area.

Third updating the BIOS I'm not nowhere as high on that as other people unless it has a update that specifically says it improves performance. If it's not broke and says nothing about performance don't fix it!
Clearly, based on what's going on, SOMETHING is broke.

And, from the BIOS updates for his board, which I think might potentially have a relationship with his problems.

BIOS Structure refresh
Fix CPU Vcore and power behavior

In any case, I disagree, because I've seen too many HUNDREDS of systems with problems on this forum that couldn't be resolved any other way, but WERE resolved by installing a newer BIOS version that did NOT specifically call out anything seemingly relevant to the problems at hand. When the manufacturer posts a new BIOS version online they do not always include a description for all noted changes, only the most significant changes, and in some cases the descriptions are EXTREMELY vague as to what is actually being changed or addressed. Therefore, when a new BIOS is available, and it is not a BETA BIOS, and somebody is having problems especially when they are a few versions behind, and nothing else seems to work, it is ALWAYS a good idea to try a BIOS update. Obviously, that is my opinion, but I think it's pretty well supported by the hundreds of occasions where that was the only fix that worked, and that's ONLY talking about my own threads. Certainly there are hundreds and hundreds more involving other members.

Oct 3, 2020
CPU usage was 48% around 35 until the end, I had Epic draw distance and a mixture
First you said your processor is running 50C with 95% load. With that processor, cooler you have, and load I can't see that as accurate unless you have disabled turbo or are using power saving in Windows

Second you never checked the video card load when the FPS drop occurred (that could of limited your FPS if your process was 95% that could of been a factor but it still was not maxed out)

I still think overclocking the CPU will solve the problem with a better CPU cooler (still waiting on the video card usage)
Good coolers that would still let you upgrade the CPU if needed (and still have adequate cooling) after you overclock your current CPU to the 4.8 area.
First sorry for msking this thread long i want to know what was wrong so i can fix it and learn something from it. Secondly im not giving inacurate information my cpu runs on 44-45 degrees when im playin the endgames and is around 90-95% usage. I check my hwinfo while im playin and after to see the last graph. My gpu has a usage of 45-55% and the tempersture is 65-67 degrees in de endgames. I havent checked the gpu usage as much but when i checked mt gpu yesterday after 4 matches it was around that.

I think you cant compsre your specs with mine because it has an other envoirment and other components tha help each other more effeciently. And thus you cant compare 1 on 1.

Second i dont have fps drops as in it drops with 50 and gets back up. I have that my fps lowers when the endgame approaches. Im trting to get rhe best performancefrom my components.

Third i dont know anything about this.

Fourth yes i want to upgrade cpu and cpu cooler but zerk hasnt reacted and what i have seen he knows alot about it. After my cpu cooler upgrade i will overclock and wait until black friday for the upgrade.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Clearly, based on what's going on, SOMETHING is broke.

And, from the BIOS updates for his board, which I think might potentially have a relationship with his problems.

BIOS Structure refresh
Fix CPU Vcore and power behavior

In any case, I disagree, because I've seen too many HUNDREDS of systems with problems on this forum that couldn't be resolved any other way, but WERE resolved by installing a newer BIOS version that did NOT specifically call out anything seemingly relevant to the problems at hand. When the manufacturer posts a new BIOS version online they do not always include a description for all noted changes, only the most significant changes, and in some cases the descriptions are EXTREMELY vague as to what is actually being changed or addressed. Therefore, when a new BIOS is available, and it is not a BETA BIOS, and somebody is having problems especially when they are a few versions behind, and nothing else seems to work, it is ALWAYS a good idea to try a BIOS update. Obviously, that is my opinion, but I think it's pretty well supported by the hundreds of occasions where that was the only fix that worked, and that's ONLY talking about my own threads. Certainly there are hundreds and hundreds more involving other members.
That is a good point.

In order of performance and preference, I'd be looking at this:

Then this:

https://azerty.nl/product/cryorig/807119/r1-ultimate-koeler-voor-processor-140mm

Then this:

https://azerty.nl/product/be+quiet!/3499747/dark-rock-pro-4-koeler-voor-processor-120--135mm-fan

And then any of these, which will all have lower performance than those three, but are still more than enough for use with your 9600k.

https://azerty.nl/product/thermalri...er-voor-processor-aluminium-met-koperen-basis

https://azerty.nl/product/be+quiet!/3499746/dark-rock-4-koeler-voor-processor-135mm-fan

Graphics cards DO NOT improve frame rates when you are running at low settings. Or even at medium settings when you're talking about 1080p or lower resolutions. The card he has can handle 1080p low to medium settings without even batting an eye, much less struggling, so upgrading the graphics card does literally nothing to improve frame rates. The processor is where any increase in frame rates is going to happen when practically all of the load is shifted to the CPU because the quality settings are almost nil. So no, it will not.

Now, if he was trying to INCREASE the QUALITY settings AND increase the frame rates at the same time, then yes, it would be beneficial. Or if he was trying to just stay at the same frame rates while increasing the quality settings, then it might, and probably would, be beneficial. But when the card is already more than capable enough at a given quality setting, then adding a higher tiered card doesn't add anything because it is not in fact the limiting factor. In his scenario, with the quality settings low, the CPU setting the frame rate and limiting it, because it can only do so much. I agree, the 9600k is a fairly capable CPU, but it lacks additional hyperthreads found on the same gen i7 models and it lacks cores and hyperthreads compared to some 10th gen and Ryzen models, so there are some gains that could be had through increased clock speeds and additional cores, depending on whether or not the particular game is well optimized to handle multithreaded performance or not.

Obviously, the easy and quick gain is to overclock that CPU, which probably only requires a fairly decent mid tiered CPU cooler to gain a few hundred Mhz over the stock configuration and also to ensure that all cores see that gain, rather than the lower all core boost limitations. There are options, but none of them are cheap or free.

That's very very good to know!