[SOLVED] Looking for input for new build

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
My 1080 ti died so I bought a 3080. My 7700K is a pretty big bottleneck for the 3080 so I am starting to research parts to upgrade everything in my gaming rig. I am most likely going to go with the 11900K. Does anyone have suggestions on the most suitable motherboard. I am sticking with Asus since my Maximus IX Code has done me well over the past 4.5 years. What is the difference between the ROG Strix motherboards and something like the Maximus XIII Hero? They look pretty close in the descriptions. I will not be water cooling other than an AIO CPU cooler. I won't be doing any major overclocking since the 11900K already boosts to 5.3GHz.

I have also read that the LGA 1151 socket and the LGA 1200 socket should be compatible with AIO cooler swaps. Has anyone successfully done this without needing to order a new bracket? I am using a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm .

Lastly I think it would be best to have a PSU higher than my current Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W. I am thinking 1000W or maybe even 1200?

Solution
What is the difference between the ROG Strix motherboards and something like the Maximus XIII Hero?
Maximus boards are ROG branded.
Strix is juts a subset of the ROG series.
I am most likely going to go with the 11900K.
if you're looking to upgrade immediately the Rocket Lake series are pretty nice.
but the 12 gen Alder Lake CPUs will be released by the end of 2021 so not long to wait for them and the new LGA1700 socket.
the LGA 1151 socket and the LGA 1200 socket should be compatible with AIO cooler swaps.
i'm currently using a 360mm AIO.
went from 8th gen LGA1151 to 11th gen LGA1200 with no issue whatsoever.
mounting accessories are: 115X / 1200 compatible.
What is the difference between the ROG Strix motherboards and something like the Maximus XIII Hero?
I am most likely going to go with the 11900K.
if you're looking to upgrade immediately the Rocket Lake series are pretty nice.
but the 12 gen Alder Lake CPUs will be released by the end of 2021 so not long to wait for them and the new LGA1700 socket.
the LGA 1151 socket and the LGA 1200 socket should be compatible with AIO cooler swaps.

Solution

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017

I have been reading further and it looks like the Strix doesn't have wifi? I definitely need that.

I read a really good post on Reddit last night that it might be better to skip the Alder Lake cpu until at least generation 13 to see what type of issues might need to be resolved with DDR5 memory and the big/small chip structure. It also makes me wonder if they will even be available due to the current state of availability with pc parts. I saw the 11900K on Newegg yesterday for $550. Looks like that falls in line with Intels recommended retail price.

Good to know the AIO will swap over to the new socket. Thanks.

My 1080 ti died so I bought a 3080. My 7700K is a pretty big bottleneck for the 3080 so I am starting to research parts to upgrade everything in my gaming rig. I am most likely going to go with the 11900K. Does anyone have suggestions on the most suitable motherboard. I am sticking with Asus since my Maximus IX Code has done me well over the past 4.5 years. What is the difference between the ROG Strix motherboards and something like the Maximus XIII Hero? They look pretty close in the descriptions. I will not be water cooling other than an AIO CPU cooler. I won't be doing any major overclocking since the 11900K already boosts to 5.3GHz.

I have also read that the LGA 1151 socket and the LGA 1200 socket should be compatible with AIO cooler swaps. Has anyone successfully done this without needing to order a new bracket? I am using a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm .

Lastly I think it would be best to have a PSU higher than my current Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W. I am thinking 1000W or maybe even 1200?
The i9 11900K is a hose job. Same amount of cores and threads as the i7 yet it uses more power and cost more. Intel's Alder Lake is being released next month and you might want to see the reviews before making a decision.