[SOLVED] Looking for M.2 to SATA for PCIe 4.0 adapter

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
I've seen the 5 port adapters for M.2 to SATA.
https://www.amazon.com/Internal-Non-Raid-Adapter-Desktop-Support/dp/B07T3RMFFT
However my motherboard has PCIe 4.0 and these are only 3.0. I need 10 more ports so I am hoping to find one that has 10 ports so I don't have to buy 2 and take up two slots but I haven't been able to find anything. I'm guessing it's too early for such a thing. Has anyone seen such an adapter yet? I don't want to have to upgrade later.

Use PCIE sata controller instead.

711yItnGLOL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Use PCIE sata controller instead.

That would still only give me 6 more and I need 10. I would still need two cards. Plus, I need the PCIe for other things so I am trying to use the unused M.2. I haven't found any PCIe cards that give that many SATA ports except for an older one that has big bottleneck issues because it is PCIe 2.0.

In addition, you are connecting SATA III drives.
PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 is of no difference.

There is a big difference. PCIe 4.0 is twice the bandwidth of 3.0. An M.2 slot has 4x PCIe lanes so at PCIe 3.0 speeds that means I can have 5 SATA III drives before bottlenecks become and issue. At PCIe 4.0 speeds it doesn't become an issue until 10.

USAFRet

Titan
There is a big difference. PCIe 4.0 is twice the bandwidth of 3.0. An M.2 slot has 4x PCIe lanes so at PCIe 3.0 speeds that means I can have 5 SATA III drives before bottlenecks become and issue. At PCIe 4.0 speeds it doesn't become an issue until 10.
'bottlenecks'

What is the use case for this?

I currently have 6x SATA III SSD on the native motherboard ports, and 1x NVMe in a PCIe adapter.
This in an ASRock Z97 board of 2015 vintage.
All 7 drives running at 100% their normal and expected speed.

SSD sizes have gone up, price per GB has gone down.
NVMe is almost (but not quite) on price parity with SATA III SSD.

roberttheed

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
'bottlenecks'

What is the use case for this?

I currently have 6x SATA III SSD on the native motherboard ports, and 1x NVMe in a PCIe adapter.
This in an ASRock Z97 board of 2015 vintage.
All 7 drives running at 100% their normal and expected speed.

SSD sizes have gone up, price per GB has gone down.
NVMe is almost (but not quite) on price parity with SATA III SSD.

It's for my NAS. My old motherboard has about 20 SATA ports and my new one only has 8. So I need about 10 more. I haven't found anything that gives that many SATA ports in one card, except an old PCIe 2.0 card but PCIe 2.0 couldn't possibly support that many cards at full SATA III speeds. I need a PCIe card or a M.2 card that will support 10 SATA ports, preferably M.2 but that's unlikely. I don't think they make chipsets for that yet because such a chipset would need to be PCIe 4. I need the PCIe slots for other things but if that's all I can find I can get an adapter to use a PCIe card in the M.2 slot. If I have to use 2 cards I guess I will but I would rather use a few as possible.

edit: I also just realized the one I linked only uses 2 lanes, so it's already bottle-necked. Crap.

Last edited:

Latest posts