[SOLVED] Looking for Motherboard recs for Ryzen 5 3600/ Nvidia 1660ti

Themoniter61

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
It's upgrade time! I need to replace my CPU/Mobo/Ram this year after upgrading to a 1660ti last year.

I've decided to go with the Ryzen 5 3600 and need a good Motherboard for either Matx or ATX form factor. The goal is 144hz at 1080p for most games.

My system is five years old and I upgraded the GPU last year so that I can spend more money on the CPU/mobo/RAM this year. I just use the power supply from my old build (it's less than a year old) and still deciding on a case (thus Matx/ATX decision).

I wanted to go with the NZXT H1 but can't find them anywhere.

Thanks for the help!

Solution
It's upgrade time! I need to replace my CPU/Mobo/Ram this year after upgrading to a 1660ti last year.

I've decided to go with the Ryzen 5 3600 and need a good Motherboard for either Matx or ATX form factor. The goal is 144hz at 1080p for most games.

My system is five years old and I upgraded the GPU last year so that I can spend more money on the CPU/mobo/RAM this year. I just use the power supply from my old build (it's less than a year old) and still deciding on a case (thus Matx/ATX decision).

Thanks for the help!

For a 3600 just about any B450 board will be "good enough". Just make sure you get one with a BIOS updated to support Ryzen 3000 CPU's. One way to...

Thanks for the help!

For a 3600 just about any B450 board will be "good enough". Just make sure you get one with a BIOS updated to support Ryzen 3000 CPU's. One way to do that is get one of MSI's MAX boards: B450 Tomahawk MAX (ATX) or B450m Mortar MAX (mATX) are great choices for that.

Those boards are fairly economical, especially considering how much B550 boards are running, yet still have beefy VRM's. They'll handle upgrades to 8 core CPU's easily and even 12 and 16 core in a well ventilated case. They are also very likely to get BIOS updates to handle Zen 3 so you could have an upgrade path all the way to a Ryzen 4000 CPU. PCIe gen 4 doesn't offer enough to make it an important consideration even if you have a gen 4 capable NVME drive.

I'd go for a tower type air cooler for a 3600 rather than a 120mm AIO so no H1 isn't that big a deal. If you must have AIO go no less than a 240mm radiator, if your case will fit one, and mount it so at least one of the tanks is above the water block/pump.

Solution