Looking for motherboard suggestions (and more)

ranger133x

Honorable
Jan 9, 2014
I'm looking to upgrade my build. I want a an i7-8700k, which means I need a new motherboard and a few other things.

I currently have the following setup (its about 4-5 years old)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4770K Processor 3.90 GHz
MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula Motherboard
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Core Edition
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Trident X
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 2.5-Inch 256 GB SATA 6GB/s
HDD: WD Blue 1 TB : 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64 MB Cache
ODD: Asus 24x DVD-RW
PSU: Corsair HX Professional Series 750-Watt 80 Plus Certified
Case: CoolerMaster HAF X Blue

My primary concern is a new MOBO. I was looking at the ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING, but I'm not so sure I want to spend that much. It seems to have a lot of features for the price, and I like the Asus boot menu (mainly because I'm familiar with it). I would like to get suggestions on some cheaper boards though.

Additionally, I will need a better CPU cooler...I don't really want to go with liquid cooling because I have had multiple failures in the past. My computer is in an air conditioned room that tends to get no hotter than 75 F. Current CPU temps around 34-40 C idle and 50-60 C when heavily loaded. If it helps, I have 7 case fans (2 big inputs on the front and lower side, 2 small inputs on front, 2 big outputs on the top, and 1 small output on upper rear).

I would like to make sure my case is big enough for the new cooler, right now the Hyper212 Evo is about 1 inch from touching the windowpane.

Finally, I would like to make sure my PSU is good enough for the new upgrades.

Please let me know what you think.

Solution
Recommend to read more info online, yes the i7 8700K is very good cpu, but the upgrade is not cheap. And if you say I want it, that maybe the reason to buy, also I guess you use the pc for games, right? So read the review, and make the decision.
4th gen i7 vs 8th gen i7
https://www.techspot.com/review/1526-intel-4th-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/
Recommend to read more info online, yes the i7 8700K is very good cpu, but the upgrade is not cheap. And if you say I want it, that maybe the reason to buy, also I guess you use the pc for games, right? So read the review, and make the decision.
4th gen i7 vs 8th gen i7
https://www.techspot.com/review/1526-intel-4th-gen-core-i7-vs-8th-gen/

Solution