Looking for opinions on whether to get hardware that oc's.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So I am saving up money for a 6700k, msi titanium, ddr4 3200 16x2 and a 980 ti. I haven't upgraded the system for years as I haven't had the money. I am wanting these parts because they feel more future proof to me and I want an enthusiast rig when I'm done building it, but as I save up, I'm having second thoughts because I have never oc'd before and because I don't think I'm going to have to oc to play anything anytime soon with this setup. Am I wasting money? Is it easy to get into ocing for the first time? Is there a reason to oc when the games don't require it? Looking for any thoughts as I'm starting to second guess my parts wish list.

Thanks.

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
If you aren't going to OC then don't get OC compatible parts. It winds up being a waste of money, you can do practically everything with standard fixed clock components that you can with OC Compatible ones.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
With these parts would there be any practical reason to oc right now? If I do oc, can I get a stable oc that won't do any damage to my parts as long as they are cooled well or does ocing shorten the life span even with good cooling?

Afterdark3

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014

Overclocks will increase the performance of your hardware, and depending on what hardware you have, it can be an increase of maybe about 10 to 20% (if you get lucky with your chips) OCing does not reduce the lifetime of your chips by a significant amount, and there is no issue with doing so.