Question Looking for pointers and advice on upgrading a prebuilt

Sep 6, 2024
I'm not super familiar with pc things so sorry if I ask a lot of questions in advance! Also hopefully this is the right place to post this

I recently bought a prebuilt PC from Cyberpower and it should be coming soon (like later today) but I'm pretty sure I want to upgrade somethings to improve its longevity and just general capabilities and I'm not too certain where to start/don't really want to break the bank in the process. This is my first pc as I've only had laptops and Macs in the past so any tips for longevity or suggestions for upgrades are really appreciated! From what I've gathered online people don't seem to really like Cyberpower but when I bought it, it seemed like a pretty good deal and I've been looking into to getting a PC for years now so I just went for it.

For some information on what I'll be using it for
I want to try streaming art and some games and I'm pretty sure it will work for normal streaming and hopefully won't have too many issues but I don't really want to put a huge strain on it (also I'm not bent on streaming in 4k or anything like that)
Art wise I mainly use Clip Studio Paint but I also use Photoshop and Illustrator + do some video editing and a bit of 3D modeling
Games wise, I don't think I play any super heavy games as of now so I'm not too worried about it while not streaming ? (heaviest thing might be FFXIV or Hoyoverse Games? as of now but I've never really had the opportunity to play any heavy pc games)
I'll also be using this for schoolwork but this part shouldn't cause any issue
Also don't think this matters and I should get out of this habit anyways but I always have like 500 tabs open.....

Regarding the streaming, I'm a bit interested in getting into vtubing and from the information I've gathered running vtube studio and streaming at the same time can be taxing on the cpu so from what I've gathered I might need to replace the cpu cooler (?) and maybe add some ram (?)
As of now I don't know the specifics on the PSU, CPU cooler, or motherboard so I can't definitively decide on what needs to be upgraded
I'm also considering upgrading the CPU in the distant future but as of now I don't feel the need to.
Overall I just want it to be able to last and be useful!

I mostly got it because it was a pretty good deal at the time (around 60% off) but here's some info
Case: Onyxia II Gaming Case
CPU: i7-13700F
GPU: RTX 4060 Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR5
Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD
Unsure of what additional information to provide so here's a link to the Amazon page
Thanks!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The first thing you should do if you decide to keep it is update the BIOS. Then set the memory to the advertised speed. (Everything else is more or less safe to leave on defaults at that point)

About a $1200 build, so the markup is pretty hefty on this one.

If you can return it you can have someone pick out better components here and you can have it assembled at a local PC store perhaps?

16GB is a little low these days. So an upgrade to a decent 2x16GB DDR5 6000 kit would be something to do.

1TB drives are cheap, but not cost efficient. And they probably used a lower end dramless model.

PSU is a major concern, as mentioned.

The CPU cooler may be a little undersized for a 13700F.

4060 Ti is expensive for the performance you get, but it isn't a bad card.

Chassis is probably fine, looks relatively cheap, but it gets the job done. Not something I would pick out if it were available direct. Solid glass front isn't ideal.

logainofhades

Titan
Yea that PSU will have to go. Apevia makes some of the worst PSU's you can buy, unfortunately. A better cooler, and a new 32gb kit of ram would be good choices, along with a better quality PSU. Everything else is pretty capable, as long as you are looking to play at 1080p, and 1440p with some settings turned down.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $239.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-06 16:53 EDT-0400

Last edited:
I would either open up or take off that front glass panel and replace it with a magnetic dust filter so that you get some airflow.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($90.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $216.86
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-06 16:49 EDT-0400

Sep 6, 2024
The first thing you should do if you decide to keep it is update the BIOS. Then set the memory to the advertised speed. (Everything else is more or less safe to leave on defaults at that point)

About a $1200 build, so the markup is pretty hefty on this one.

If you can return it you can have someone pick out better components here and you can have it assembled at a local PC store perhaps?

16GB is a little low these days. So an upgrade to a decent 2x16GB DDR5 6000 kit would be something to do.

1TB drives are cheap, but not cost efficient. And they probably used a lower end dramless model.

PSU is a major concern, as mentioned.

The CPU cooler may be a little undersized for a 13700F.

4060 Ti is expensive for the performance you get, but it isn't a bad card.

Chassis is probably fine, looks relatively cheap, but it gets the job done. Not something I would pick out if it were available direct. Solid glass front isn't ideal.
Thanks for the info on setup!
I got it for ~600 so it seemed pretty worth it (?) I'll definitely be looking into different PSUs now too, do you have any recommendations for CPU coolers?

Sep 6, 2024
Yea that PSU will have to go. Apevia makes some of the worst PSU's you can buy, unfortunately. A better cooler, and a new 32gb kit of ram would be good choices, along with a better quality PSU. Everything else is pretty capable, as long as you are looking to play at 1080p, and 1440p with some settings turned down.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($93.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $239.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-06 16:53 EDT-0400
I would either open up or take off that front glass panel and replace it with a magnetic dust filter so that you get some airflow.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Memory: *Silicon Power Value Gaming 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($90.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $216.86
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-06 16:49 EDT-0400
Thanks for the recommendations! It seems like both of you suggested the same cpu cooler so I'll go with that one, and replace the other 2. Really appreciate the help. I'll try getting a magnetic dust filter once I can too

Reactions: Why_Me
The time to ask for advice is BEFORE you buy.

Unless you have reasonable opportunities to exchange, use it as is and be satisfied.

I might have suggested that 16gb of ram is a bit small if you do any multitasking.
And adding ram later will not always work, ram must be matched.

The psu included on a prebuilt is usually the minimum wattage and uncertain quality.
If you ever wanted a stronger graphics card, you may be facing a psu upgrade.

Lastly, Buying a F suffix processor may save you %25, but without integrated graphics, you miss out on quick sync.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I agree with the above.
PSU will be the cheapest they could get, cooler inadequate probably gimped the CPU so they could use it, single stick of memory, poor case airflow (glass front), cheapest motherboard they could get, and probably a lot of bloatware in the OS.

All of those are known problems with Cyberjunk prebuild PC's they do better if you select the parts yourself but then the price is over what you could build it for.

EDIT from your link it's not even sold by Cyberjunk.
Ships from
Forfavor Electronics (S/N Recorded)
Sold by
Forfavor Electronics (S/N Recorded)
Returns
30-day

56% approval rating

Last edited:
Thanks for the info on setup!
I got it for ~600 so it seemed pretty worth it (?) I'll definitely be looking into different PSUs now too, do you have any recommendations for CPU coolers?
That is an excellent price for this PC assuming it works. The CPU and the GPU are worth about 600 dollars alone. Personally, I would get a new case, CPU cooler, another 1x16gb stick of RAM (same exact module) or get a new kit of 2x16gb of RAM, and a respectable PSU. Sell all the parts that you replace if you can.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 - TT Premium Edition 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $272.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-06 19:20 EDT-0400