Question Looking for recommendations on a reliable, quality Mobile Hotspot

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello!

I work from home and I'm looking for a hot spot that can support two laptops and a desktop regarding signal, internet speed, etc. I know VERY little about hot spots and how they are rated, their capabilities, etc. so please be patient as you assist me with my search for this product. Thank you! :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hello!

I work from home and I'm looking for a hot spot that can support two laptops and a desktop regarding signal, internet speed, etc. I know VERY little about hot spots and how they are rated, their capabilities, etc. so please be patient as you assist me with my search for this product. Thank you! :)
Have you considered a standard WIFI router with a USB modem? Asus routers support USB cellular devices. I was able to use my phone via WIFI to an Asus router before I had ISP service at a house.

kanewolf

Titan
What internet service does the Asus router use? Do you have a link to a product?
Here is a list of USB cellular devices that is supported by Asus routers in general -- https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1047044/
I am a big fan of the Merlin alternate firmware for Asus routers -- https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/ If you pick a model from the supported list on Merlin's webpage like the RT-AX68U -- https://www.asus.com/us/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-wifi-routers/rt-ax68u/ you won't be unhappy.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
Yep, +1 for Asus router. I have a Netgear Aircard 4G modem plugged into an old DSL-AC68U via USB. Works great for connecting 4+ devices (desktop, laptop, tablet, network printer).

Reactions: Why_Me

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
OK. So if my internet goes out, where does the hotspot grab the internet signal from? I would need a separate subscription for that, correct?

Also, losing service from my internet provider is one thing, losing my internet service because the power is out and my modem is off is another. Do hot spots come with a. battery back up?

kanewolf

Titan
OK. So if my internet goes out, where does the hotspot grab the internet signal from? I would need a separate subscription for that, correct?

Also, losing service from my internet provider is one thing, losing my internet service because the power is out and my modem is off is another. Do hot spots come with a. battery back up?
No. You would have to use a standard UPS to protect from power outages. If battery power is one of your requirements then this is a completely different conversation. I interpreted your question as a primary internet source, not an emergency backup.

What do you mean by "my internet goes out"? Do you have a standard wired ISP that you are trying to have a backup ?

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
No. You would have to use a standard UPS to protect from power outages. If battery power is one of your requirements then this is a completely different conversation. I interpreted your question as a primary internet source, not an emergency backup.

What do you mean by "my internet goes out"? Do you have a standard wired ISP that you are trying to have a backup ?
I mean if I lose power from a storm and need to be online working. I guess the best solution is to have a backup power supply with a hot spot tied to an internet service that isn't my primary one. So if my power goes out I can still have that and if my ISP for my modem goes down I have a hot spot supported by a different internet service. Unless I use an Elon Musk satellite lol.

kanewolf

Titan
I mean if I lose power from a storm and need to be online working. I guess the best solution is to have a backup power supply with a hot spot tied to an internet service that isn't my primary one. So if my power goes out I can still have that and if my ISP for my modem goes down I have a hot spot supported by a different internet service. Unless I use an Elon Musk satellite lol.
If you loose power, and it is not a VERY localized problem, then cellular is going to be very slow, because EVERYONE will have the same idea.