Looking for Router IP advice / sales?

JMCross

Honorable
May 30, 2013
So i;m currently stuck in bed with good ol'e comcast and their Arris Router/Modem crap. I'm not going to lie, it does run decently, but as far as your own user configurations are concerned, It wont even allow me to alter mac addresses / IP changes. I've heard that comcast doesn't offer IP changes, and Ive even called them maybe a few months ago, and asked them if they could change my IP, Their tech support isn't the greatest and weren't able to help me out. I've found a guide on youtube that say cloning your mac address could help but the Arris router doens't have that feature which means i'll have to buy a router myself and connect it via bridge mode on the comcast router/modem to change my IP. I'm not doing too good financially, so A budget router would probably be the best course. I currently have dual band on my comcast router, 2.4 and 5Ghz. Any suggestions or Good Brands in perhaps the 60$ price range? Sale items are a plus! :)

Solution
Don't get your hopes up that you can change your IP address. It depends on how the ISP has configured things, it may be tied to the mac of your modem which you can not change...even if you could it would then be not allowed on the network since that is how they make sure they get paid for service.

So before you buy anything put the device into bridge mode and plug your PC in. Now on the PC change the mac address on the nic and reboot the modem. Does the IP change.

The ISP does not really want you to be changing your IP. In almost all cases it is because you are doing something dishonest if you need to change it a lot.

There are only so many IP addresses and to avoid running out and make thing run stably the ISP will limit how...
Don't get your hopes up that you can change your IP address. It depends on how the ISP has configured things, it may be tied to the mac of your modem which you can not change...even if you could it would then be not allowed on the network since that is how they make sure they get paid for service.

So before you buy anything put the device into bridge mode and plug your PC in. Now on the PC change the mac address on the nic and reboot the modem. Does the IP change.

The ISP does not really want you to be changing your IP. In almost all cases it is because you are doing something dishonest if you need to change it a lot.

There are only so many IP addresses and to avoid running out and make thing run stably the ISP will limit how quickly you can change the IP. In some cases you may have to leave the modem powered off for many hours or even days to get it to change.

A vpn service is a much better solution if you need to change your IP a lot. Then again that is why many VPN ip are getting blacklisted on sites because of people doing bad things via vpn.

Solution