Question Looking for silent rear fan

dhal277

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Hi, I have a Cooler Master Masterbox lite 3 case, since I have my son I can use my pc only at night. My wife finds it noisy, I replaced the front fans to Arctic F12 Silent. I'ts a lot better, but when I'm gaming the rear fan is quite loud, therefore I want to replace that fan as well (Cooler Master Sickleflow). I can't decide between Arctic P12 Silent - Arctic F12 Silent, I guess it's better to have a static pressure fan at the back side. Or shall I go with the Arctic P12 PWM version?

thank you in advance

No, it's not better to have a high static pressure fan in back. Rear and top fans should always be oriented so that they are exhaust fans and there is absolutely zero need for high static pressure on an exhaust fan because they are not going to enounter any significant restrictions to airflow like an intake fan, heatsink fan or radiator fan would.

For exhaust fans, high CFM, not high static pressure, is what you want.

If you want a very quiet rear fan, then you want a Noctua fan. There is no other fan that can be as silent at any given RPM as practically any of the Noctua fans are by comparison.

This would be a good choice, if you have an available four pin PWM fan header for it to be plugged into.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM 54.32 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $13.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 16:38 EST-0500

If you only have a three pin DC controlled fan header, then this would be a good choice.

PCPartPicker Part List

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 54.32 CFM 120 mm Fan ($13.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $13.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-24 16:39 EST-0500

Both have a very low maximum decibel level of 19.8db