[SOLVED] Looking for software that I can run via UEFI for system diagnostics

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
Hi all,

I'm aware of a business primary software called PC-Checker (https://www.eurosoft-uk.com/products/pc-check-uefi-diagnostic-software/) which has software specifically designed for UEFI based hardware diagnostics.

They don't do this for a regular person as they only host business licenses (That cost £200 for a single user license) - I'm looking for any software that does the same or similar things as this but are more based for users like me.

Does anyone know of anything like this that can run tests outside of the OS?

Edit:

Brief rundown of my system:

Running Windows 10
It is a relatively new self-built computer
when built, all components in this computer were effectively brand new

Brief rundown of issues:

I've been experiencing BSODs whenever I power on the computer first during the day; after we REACH the Windows splash screen, I have no further issues, even when restarting.

Now, this has been going on since October sort of time and I've procrastinated this issue a lot (Yes, I know, I'm an idiot) and we've now hit a point where things finally collapsed.

The BSODs I commonly see are PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA | MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

The issues I've tested for already and checked:

1. I ran a memtext86 over two full passes which passed both times
  2. I ran checks on the SSD's I had using Samsung's Magician software which passed as well
This was what I was supposed to be doing next, however at the time I wasn't able to do these, so was advised to do these as soon as I could:

a) reset the BIOS
b) clean ports and fans > monitor temperatures
c) view the owners manual to see if there are optimal DIMM slots when using only one RAM module
d) test one RAM module at a time in the same DIMM
e) if one works without crashes then test all DIMM with the same RAM module
f) the above may be able to rule in / rule out malfunctioning RAM and or motherboard
g) if there are no further misbehaving drivers then the focus is on hardware
(any additional debugging is just to make sure there are no further misbehaving drivers)
h) make free backup images (once you're familiar with the product you can decide whether to pay for the software enhancements in the different versions)

I was unable to do these tests, however, we've now reached a point whereby the last crashes have caused system instability to the point where files are corrupt and I received the following errors:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (as usual) and something relating to NTFS.sys

This is pushing me back in the direction that it could be SSD related, despite them being brand new and despite them passing both tests that I ran on them previously, however, I have no way to test this anymore as whilst I can access the OS, I'm unable to use anything due to the corruption experienced. I grabbed what I could, which was event logs, and then shut down the system in case it is SSD related and keeping it running may cause more corruption/issues.

Prior to shut down, I did attempt to do the following:

System File Check -> Failed to run after it got about 39% through
DISM check -> Failed to run after it got about 50% through
System Restore -> Attempted to restore to the only restore that was present -> Failed to restore

Hence I'm looking for any good software that would enable me to check hardware on the computer for anything that might be wrong before diving back into the system again.

Last edited:
Solution
use something like rufus to make the usb drive. it'll make sure it is bootable. then select the live cd option once booted and it will load up the os in ram and not install anything.

this will give you access to the drives if it boots so you can do whatever to the data on it. anything encrypted will stay that way but you can copy anything you need/want.

this is mainly to tell you if it is os or hardware related. sounds hardware based on your post but could still be really jacked up windows install. if it runs fine and you can navigate around your drives and so on with the unbuntu usb, then you know it is windows and you likely need a full fresh install.

if you still get errors, then work with the ram sticks one by one booting to...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
tons of options such as linux distros and many utilities that you boot to for diagnostic purposes.

need more info on what "tests" you need/want to do and why and anything else you can offer that can help us figure out what can best fill you needs :)

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
tons of options such as linux distros and many utilities that you boot to for diagnostic purposes.

need more info on what "tests" you need/want to do and why and anything else you can offer that can help us figure out what can best fill you needs :)

My bad, I'll update the post with more information, will send a reply once done.

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017

Update posted, sorry, it's rather long as there's a bit of backstory here..

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
thanks for the update. i know it's long but that info is what will allow us to offer some advice.

if this was sitting in front of me, the next thing i would do is to boot to a live linux dvd/usb. this will boot fully into a running linux OS and let you see if it is related to your windows OS or hardware based problems. from here you can also copy more data from your ssd if needed assuming it boots up for you. if you still get errors and bsods, now you need to start what you listed above, which is checking the ram sticks (since that is where the errors seem to me coming from) one by one in different slots and so on. i am not sure but the samsung software might work on linux which would let you run that again once booted to the live disk.

unbuntu is a popular choice though you'll have to prepare it from a different pc. when you burn the iso and boot to your installer, it gives an option to install or run it as a "live cd" chose that option and see if it boots to the desktop.

https://ubuntu.com/#download

Yeldur

Honorable
Jan 28, 2017
thanks for the update. i know it's long but that info is what will allow us to offer some advice.

if this was sitting in front of me, the next thing i would do is to boot to a live linux dvd/usb. this will boot fully into a running linux OS and let you see if it is related to your windows OS or hardware based problems. from here you can also copy more data from your ssd if needed assuming it boots up for you. if you still get errors and bsods, now you need to start what you listed above, which is checking the ram sticks (since that is where the errors seem to me coming from) one by one in different slots and so on. i am not sure but the samsung software might work on linux which would let you run that again once booted to the live disk.

unbuntu is a popular choice though you'll have to prepare it from a different pc. when you burn the iso and boot to your installer, it gives an option to install or run it as a "live cd" chose that option and see if it boots to the desktop.

https://ubuntu.com/#download
So I'd just download ubuntu onto a USB, then plug it into the rig and set from the BIOS to boot into the USB as opposed to the OS and then see what I can recover?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
use something like rufus to make the usb drive. it'll make sure it is bootable. then select the live cd option once booted and it will load up the os in ram and not install anything.

this will give you access to the drives if it boots so you can do whatever to the data on it. anything encrypted will stay that way but you can copy anything you need/want.

this is mainly to tell you if it is os or hardware related. sounds hardware based on your post but could still be really jacked up windows install. if it runs fine and you can navigate around your drives and so on with the unbuntu usb, then you know it is windows and you likely need a full fresh install.

if you still get errors, then work with the ram sticks one by one booting to unbuntu or windows to test it. whichever you prefer. memtest can be gotten to from booting to your windows install usb as well. you can boot to that and get a command prompt to do some troubleshooting from there if you are more comfortable with windows cmd instead of linux one.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS