Looking for the right monitor

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Hello,
I was wondering if someone could help me choosing the right monitor for me.
Probably I'll go and buy the RX 480 graphics card, but until then, I'm dealing with a GTX 950Ti.
My budget is on 300-350€ (Around 350$), and I will use it the most to play League Of Legends and Overwatch, and watch some videos on youtube. I'm also having in mind if ultrawide is a good option for me. Some monitors that I've been thinking of are the BENQ 2765HT, or the BENQ XL2411Z.

Could someone help me through-out this process of choosing my future monitor pls?

Solution
First off that is 340-400 USD.
BENQ XL2411Z - 1ms reation time (perfect) - 270 USD - 24in - good aspect (HD)
BENQ 2765HT - 1ms reactio time (perfect) - 350 USD - 27in - better aspect (HD)
Since I'm cheap I would go XL2411Z but 2765HT is better but I wouldn't say 80 USD better. Honestly I would get 2 ASUS VE248H for dual monitor. It has 2ms reaction time (almost perfect) - 150 USD each - 24in- good aspect (HD)

Hope this helps!

N325TX

Reputable
Jun 2, 2016
First off that is 340-400 USD.
BENQ XL2411Z - 1ms reation time (perfect) - 270 USD - 24in - good aspect (HD)
BENQ 2765HT - 1ms reactio time (perfect) - 350 USD - 27in - better aspect (HD)
Since I'm cheap I would go XL2411Z but 2765HT is better but I wouldn't say 80 USD better. Honestly I would get 2 ASUS VE248H for dual monitor. It has 2ms reaction time (almost perfect) - 150 USD each - 24in- good aspect (HD)

Hope this helps!

Solution

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015

Thank you for answering my forum question.
Actually I the BENQ GW2765HT is a 1440p monitor with 4ms (GTG) response time. It's also an ips panel, while the BENQ XL2411Z is a 1ms monitor with tn panel and 144Hz refresh rate. This is what im doubting, a better resolution monitor but with less refresh rate and less response time, or a better gaming monitor which is the XL2411Z...

Anyway do u think that an ultrawide monitor would be good for me?

PS: My parents only let me buy 1 monitor :S

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Ultrawide is cool but Overwatch as a competitive game only allows 16:9 ratio resolutions and 21:9 ultrawide is not supported so you'd be playing with black bars on the side.

I'd recommend this AOC FreeSync monitor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160273

I have the G-sync version of this monitor with a 780ti and every game is amazing, high fps/hz, great color and you will be getting similar high fps/hz with the 480 and AOC FreeSync combo. It's all about having components that compliment each other!

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
So you're telling me that this AOC monitor is better than the BENQ model? I'm asking this question because I've seen that the League Of Legends pro players use the BENQ model. If you find a better model below the 350€ please tell me.

Thanks for answering BTW.

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
I've seen posts talking about the freesync function, and they say it's not really worth it for monitors over 75Hz as only VSync will affect it... is this true?
Also, whats the best monitor I can get for 350€?

Thx for your help JUICEhunter.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
GSync and FreeSync give you Variable Refresh Rate, it was made because V-sync on has judder/input lag and V-sync off has tearing.

Random 45fps dips also feel smoother, fps should never be down there with high hz but the an occasional dip can happen (like loading a new area in an open world rpg) and is less jarring with GSync & FreeSync.

That's why I always put similarly priced/specked monitors that have FreeSync & GSync above those that don't. If you want a 27" I'd still say get one with FreeSync with the specs you want. I'll look around a little later but just know if you're getting a 480 I'm going to recommend a FreeSync monitor and if you're getting NVidia GPU I'm going to recommend a GSync.

The end result? If you can get 65fps + most of the time you're going to get a silky smooth, fast action/response time high hz/high fps experience and it makes every single game better.

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
So you're telling me that a monitor with freesync (AOC) is better than a BENQ, although I will probably only play shooters like overwatch or mobas like League Of Legends?

BTW just found a new monitor that looks even better than BENQ and AOC... what about the ASUS MG248Q?? Could you tell me if this is a better monitor than the other two pls?

PS: Just realised that I typed in the wrong GPU that I have now, instead of 950ti, its a 750ti.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
BenQ makes FreeSync monitors too, I'm not saying one brand is better than another, I'm saying fixed refresh monitors aren't as good as variable refresh rate monitors with FreeSync and G-Sync.

If games could run at fixed fps than we wouldn't need FreeSync/G-Sync, but the fact that every game has fps all over the place, we need screens that are always in sync with the fps being produced.

I hate tearing (vsync off) and I know some games are better than others but I always notice it so that made me a vsync on guy, which completely removed tearing but than made fps below 50 feel very choppy so I would have to turn settings down to prevent choppiness.

Although I need higher fps than 60 to enjoy high hz, having G-Sync makes random dips to 45fps feel less choppy, especially if it is a short dip where the fps recovers instantly it almost goes unnoticed although I always keeps fps counter on so of course I do at least notice that part.

FPS and high hz is a perfect fit for sure but really all games feel smoother with high hz/high fps but why not have the monitor tech that helps keep things smooth when our computers or even the game engine can't always deliver high fps, why should one have to experience choppiness or tearing on a fixed refresh rate monitor when it can be avoided with newer tech made specifically for games to fix these issues that have been plaguing us for years.

marcelmiro2000

Reputable
Dec 26, 2015
Thanks for your replies JUICEhunter.

I think I'll go then for the ASUS MG248Q (as this monitor has high Hz, 1ms, and freesync), and ASUS is one of the best monitor brands (with BENQ), and I think that this monitor is better than the AOC as I've read that the AOC monitors dont have as many fuctions and that the material quality is not so good. Thanks again JUICEhunter.