[SOLVED] Looking for triple monitor support card for PCIe 2.0 slot

Feb 4, 2020
I currently have an AMD FX-8320 CPU on a MSI 760 GMA-P34 (FX) motherboard, with an Nvidia GeForce GT 630 video card, connected to 2 x Acer V233HL 23" monitors (one on a VGA/DSUB connector, the other on DVI).
I'm currently looking to upgrade the video card to a relatively cheap one that can handle 3 screens, all of them at or above 1920x1080 res, primarily for working with spreadsheets, etc, but also for basic gaming and video (DVDFab, YouTube, etc).
PCIe 2.0 specific cards are getting hard to find, so I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations for a cheap PCIe 3.0 card that would be backward compatible with my current setup. I haven't yet purchased a 3rd screen so I'm flexible on the 3rd monitor connection as I'll purchase a 3rd monitor to fit.
Note - I live in Australia, so I need to take into consideration that any international online stores provide international shipping (Eg the USA BestBuy site does not support international shipping).

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The card, even if it's at PCI 3.0 will be backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 slots. To note, I would ask you to state the make and model of your PSU and it's age. That is the only thing preventing me from confidently suggesting a GPU upgrade, especially since the board you own is only advertised to support an 125W CPU but in reality it's just a disaster waiting to happen. With that I'm doubtful if you should sink money into a new GP/PSU when you shouldn't be on that platform to begin with, i.e rebuild with lower TDP, concurrent tech parts.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The card, even if it's at PCI 3.0 will be backwards compatible with PCIe 2.0 slots. To note, I would ask you to state the make and model of your PSU and it's age. That is the only thing preventing me from confidently suggesting a GPU upgrade, especially since the board you own is only advertised to support an 125W CPU but in reality it's just a disaster waiting to happen. With that I'm doubtful if you should sink money into a new GP/PSU when you shouldn't be on that platform to begin with, i.e rebuild with lower TDP, concurrent tech parts.

Solution
Feb 4, 2020
I would ask you to state the make and model of your PSU and it's age.
Hey Lutfij, thanks for the quick response. The PSU I have is a Corsair TX650M (it's about 2 years old as the original PSU died a noisy fan death). Its currently powering the MB, 1 x SSD, 1 x mechanical HDD (both about 6 months old as the original drives both started to fail), a DVD-RW drive and the existing GT630 video card, so I know the PSU has plenty of headroom to power a newer/larger video card.

the board you own is only advertised to support an 125W CPU but in reality it's just a disaster waiting to happen
Hmm, not certain what to make of that comment? Yes I know the board and CPU are about 6-7 years old (approx the time I bought it) and the fact that the board supports 125W CPUs (which is what the FX-8320 is and noting that I have not OC'ed it), should be fine, so I'm unsure what you mean by "its a disaster waiting to happen"?