Looking for Very Sensitive mic that is near human ear distance and low noise detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Hello ,

I trying to find the best Microphone that can capture everything like human ears . and I mean by that very long distance sounds and ALL surrounding sounds .. that is what you hear you can record long distance or near High or very low . the opposite of voice cancellation Mics . I want it to detect everything .

You are going to need to be more specific with your end goal and budget, as each approach is going to be different.
If you want directional hearing like human ears, you can get one of those microphones built like human ears (popular for ASMR).
If you want multidirectional, you can look into field microphones used to capture landscape sounds (popular with birders for identifying and cataloging species).

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Also how "very long" distance are we talking about? If we're talking about being able to pick up a conversation from a mile away, no microphone is able to do that.

I mean what the ears can hear over long distance . that is very low sounds that ears can hear , no need for amplification . I tested my MIC by dropping a pen on the bed , very low sound but my ears heard it , the Mic did not ! I want it very sensitive .

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
You are going to need to be more specific with your end goal and budget, as each approach is going to be different.
If you want directional hearing like human ears, you can get one of those microphones built like human ears (popular for ASMR).
If you want multidirectional, you can look into field microphones used to capture landscape sounds (popular with birders for identifying and cataloging species).

The budget <$1000 .. I want it to record everything around it in like 15 meters radius .. and to record everything the ears can hear like for example dropping a pen on a pillow .. the ears will hear very low sond but i could not find a MIC that records such low sound at that distance.

I mean what the ears can hear over long distance . that is very low sounds that ears can hear , no need for amplification . I tested my MIC by dropping a pen on the bed , very low sound but my ears heard it , the Mic did not ! I want it very sensitive .
Another thing of note though is the microphone is only part of the equation. The rest of the audio equipment needs to be taken into account. Even if you get a really sensitive microphone, if the audio equipment isn't up to work with it, it may not be able to make use of lower end of the noise floor because its own noise floor is higher.

Also you may not be able to get a one-size-fits-all solution. That is, sensitive microphones may peak well below what one could consider "loud".

In any case, I don't know of anything to recommend since I don't dabble in this, but you could use https://recording-voice.com/top-10-most-sensitive-microphones/ as a starting point.

The problem you are going to run into is high sensitivity and directionality.
Picking up a pen landing on a pillow would be easy enough with a parabolic reflector or shotgun style mic (look at guides for recording birding vocalizations).
However, you are going to get extremely narrow "width" on those microphones, for a wide area setup you are going to sacrifice alot of quality and detail, and typically run into either excessive background noise, or blown out audio tracks if noise does pick up.

The budget <$1000 .. I want it to record everything around it in like 15 meters radius .. and to record everything the ears can hear like for example dropping a pen on a pillow .. the ears will hear very low sond but i could not find a MIC that records such low sound at that distance.
You're going to need more than just a microphone and it's not going to happen on that budget. Add a few zeros for that level of sensitivity and accuracy.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
You're going to need more than just a microphone and it's not going to happen on that budget. Add a few zeros for that level of sensitivity and accuracy.

Not that much .. it is a simple project challenge ... the cheapest Voice only security detection. within a 15m radius.

Any kind of Image detection is not allowed. and I will be using a rotational mic or multiple mics , on a moving robotic car if needed to get closer and I am missing the mic . I will be using RASPERRY PI as well .

This will be added later to a complete Visual/Voice detection using rotational Cameras as well . but the first part (Voice only) is the challenge now.

Not that much .. it is a simple project challenge ... the cheapest Voice only security detection. within a 15m radius.

Any kind of Image detection is not allowed. and I will be using a rotational mic or multiple mics , on a moving robotic car if needed to get closer and I am missing the mic . I will be using RASPERRY PI as well .

This will be added later to a complete Visual/Voice detection using rotational Cameras as well . but the first part (Voice only) is the challenge now.
Then instead of asking a random spot on the internet, start doing your own research, learn which specs of the mic matter for sensitivity, then go search on say parts stores like Digikey or Mouser for parts. Then you'll have to get a few that seem promising, characterize them ideally using an oscilloscope to see what they're like, keep the ones that look promising, and figure out how to process the signal they generate.

If your goal is to make this cheaply, then you're going to have to make due with a budget and figure out a way to jerry rig things to make it at least closer to the requirements you're looking for. Competitions like these aren't won with a unicorn product, because they don't exist.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
Then instead of asking a random spot on the internet, start doing your own research, learn which specs of the mic matter for sensitivity, then go search on say parts stores like Digikey or Mouser for parts. Then you'll have to get a few that seem promising, characterize them ideally using an oscilloscope to see what they're like, keep the ones that look promising, and figure out how to process the signal they generate.

If your goal is to make this cheaply, then you're going to have to make due with a budget and figure out a way to jerry rig things to make it at least closer to the requirements you're looking for. Competitions like these aren't won with a unicorn product, because they don't exist.

I just came here to ask about cheap sensitive mic , I did not come here to find any unicorn products ... or to take advice how to complete my project. actually I have everything ready including the code. but the only thing I am not good at are sensitive mics . The specs are not given in the challenge I will have to figure them myself the only spec here is "what a human ear can hear you should detect at 15m distance" . and I asked in many sites as well not only here. sometimes you get a great knowledge from a simple person . anyways. thanks for all the help here.

Last edited:
The specs are not given in the challenge I will have to figure them myself the only spec here is "what a human ear can hear you should detect at 15m distance" .
And honestly that's not even a very good requirement. You can't tell how far away something is just by the sound alone. Not to mention there's nothing about how loud the sound should be once it gets to your ear. I'm sure everyone with working ears can hear fireworks going off at 15m and that'll meet the requirement. But so will putting the microphone up against a loudspeaker. Then there's the issue with the noise floor. Being near a highway is going to make things harder to hear than being in a large enough library.

If whoever's issuing the challenge isn't going to be specific about requirements, just make some reasonable ones up with conditions to go by. For all I know, a bog standard microphone that you can pick up at your local electronics store is fine because it just needs to detect something loud enough and it's plenty capable of doing that.

The problem you are going to have is a mic that is as sensitive as you are asking for will be overwhelmed in a slight wind.
But to guide you in the right direction check out some Audio Technica "studio" cardioid mics.
Range from about $300-$3000+ .
Around $1000 range your pen drop can be picked up 15-20 feet away with good clarity.
Just rubbing your hand on your jeans can be picked up 6-7 feet away and ruin a track.
That sensitive.
Also look at wind or pop screens for outdoor use.

Status
Not open for further replies.