Looking into a liquid cooler for i7 6800k

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Hey everyone,

To start off, this is my current build via pc parts picker:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/liberty610/saved/G48RsY

I am currently using the cooler master hyper 212 Evo cooler on my cpu. I am not overclocking at all, but was wondering about looking into my first liquid cooler.

I do not know much about laid cooling, and I'm not even sure if I really need to change to it. I'm kinda am enthusiast, and I like the idea of my cpu being super cool.

I do a lot of video rendering, audio production, and started greeting into pc gaming the last few months. When using Handbrake to render/compress videos and my cpu goes under full load for a good half hour to an hour, my cpu temp peaks between 47 and 52c depending on the ambient temp in the room. This is pretty venous the red flag mark, but I was wondering if I would benefit from a liquid cooler.

I don't know much about custom loops or anything, so I was looking into something like the Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2. I see some reviewers saying the plump fails quite frequently though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Should I get a liquid cooler for my cpu? If so, what other options are there that are similar to the Corsair one?

Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If your not going to overclock, there is really no point in getting a liquid cooler unless your current setup is loud. A max temp of 52C under load is very good. Anything under 80C is good.

I have a corsair h115i, which is the 280mm version and I have no complaints. Custom loops look great, but they are very expensive. It is hard to beat the price and ease of a AiO cooler.

But if i had your temps and did not want to overclock, I would not spend the money on a new cooler.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
In not interested in custom loops, honestly. I haven't looked to in depth to them, because to me, it just seems like more work/hassle then anything else.

I kind of want to get into overclocking, which was one of the reasons why I wanted to loom into a AIO cooler. But I also am am enthusiast, and if anything, just want to get into more advanced setups.

My case can do a dual 140 mm radiator or 3 120mm. So I was looking for options on one of those. I'm kinda confused, as my case specs says this:

Radiator and fan compatibility:
Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm

Is that the fan size? Or the radiator size? Because while looking at coolers I see radiator and fan size...?

BoomTator

Commendable
Jul 20, 2017
I have the Ryzen 1700x non OC - running h100v2 in the front of the case, Running PUBG in ultra while streaming and listening to youtube, the cooler keeps my system under 60c on all that load... AIO liquid cooling is the way to go for sure for the money!!!

There is a few reasons to go with liquid cooling even if you dont overclock. I run an i7 6700k with xmp profile on for memory overclock and it overclocked my cpu passively to 4.2ghz.

So barely an overclock. However I still run a Corair Hydro H115i closed loop liquid cooler. For me, I want to keep as much hot air out of my system as possible. Using liquid cooling forces that air to the atmosphere, instead of leaving it in the case longer. That means my memory also gets cooler because of more cooler air in the system.

Also I did it as an enthusiast as well. however a practical one.

I'm on the same boat as Liberty when it comes to custom loops. Good practice is to swap out fluids every 6 months to a year... with a closed loop you never need to swap anything out. It will run like that until it dies and that can be anywhere from 5+ years depending on the pumps life.

Liberty. I would go with a closed loop and get one with the biggest Rad your cage can support. This one is what I have, it says its a 2 fan 280mm, however the 2 fan 140mmshould fit your case nicely. I've been using it for over a year and its been great. In all my benchmarking, never had heating issues.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181100

I get what your saying about the enthusiast as I am one too, but my wife calls me a junky now though. lol

You have a very good processor to overclock and it is perfect for a 280mm AIO cooling system. If you want to overclock, then you can do that with your current 211 EVO, you just wont be able to get as high of on overclock because your temps will get to high.

Overclocking is very easy and just go slow and you will be fine. Everyone is different, but for me I like my temps to stay below 80C under load for daily use, and I like to keep my voltage at 1.35 or below. Temps peaking about 80C is okay, but I don't want to see average temps above 80C for extended periods of time. Increased voltage creates increased heat. High voltage or heat for extended periods of times will shorten the life of your CPU. But if you keep voltage at or below 1.35 (some people will go higher, some people like lower) and CPU average temps below 80C when under load you will be good to go.

Here is Tom's Hardware's choice for best liquid coolers. I don't think you can go wrong with these.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-cpu-coolers,4181-2.html

I also like the NZXT Kraken X61 but the Corsiar was on sale, so I got the Corsair on sale. Some people will love Corasir and other people will hate it. Same can be said for NZXT, or any other brand for that matter.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012

Thanks for the reply! The ram temps and what not was also something else I considered, and even less heat to shoot out of the case during gaming, as my 1080 card blows a big amount in the case alone.

I was looking at a couple of the Corsair coolers, and even the one you have suggested here. I am just confused on what size radiators will fit in my case. The radiator and fan compatibility: for my case on Corsair's website says: Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm. But I get confused because on the website the coolers have radiator size AND fan size. The H115i says 'Dual 140mm' for fans, but then also says "280mm x 27mm" for the radiator. How do I know if the radiator will fit my case? Does the fan size listed for the case mean I can use a radiator that has 2 140mm fans? I would really like to order the H115i, and if I can get the size ordeal figured out in the next hour or so, I can get it shipped her tomorrow.

Thanks again! I'm looking forward to getting one of these installed.

I believe the rad it self is 280mm. That is not including the fans.

This is the description of on the link I sent.

"Large 280mm radiator: more cooling capacity for cases which have 280mm radiator mounts"

however, I can get the confusion because I'm looking at it now and I have "2 fan slots (140mm)" selected on modem "H115i" so... maybe its 280mm including the fans?

According to Corsairs description. I see this

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

"The 280mm radiator and dual SP140L PWM fans provide the excellent cooling you need for highly overclocked CPUs"

"If your PC case has dual 140mm fan mounts spaced for a 280mm radiator, the H115i lets you take advantage of your case’s full cooling potential."

So if I had to guess. The rad is 280mm and the fans are 140mm. So 280mm is not the total height of the unit with fans included. However, I'd assume with your case you are only worried about width, not height? Then this should work. (that's normally the big limiting factor).

It might be easier if you just give us the model of your case lol

From what I see, Newegg only gives the fan size support, not Rad sizes.

But yeah, you'll be fine with that rad and fan setup. This case is big af.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLOt8h8-kNY

You most likely wont be able to do a push & pull configuration as that would hit the back fan. Just one or the other. However, there is very little benefit for a push/pull configuration so that is doesn't really matter. (look at Linus he has videos about that as well)

Are you deadset on this case?

I'm using a Fractal Design R5 and it owns. All the same beneifts but the design of the air filters are so much better. Your case has a small PSU filter in the back which means you need to pull out the PC each time you want to clean the filter. R5 has a full covered bottom filter that pulls out from the front. Don't have to move the PC to get the filters out.

However, its kinda user preference at this point. If you like the case you selected, get it!

This is the one I'm using.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16811352051
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ZLKzqcUtM

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Oh I already have the case. The system is up and running already, I just wanted to replace the cooler.

As far as moving the pc to get to the filter, that's really not a concern. It's a small ordeal, but honestly, my psu fan rarely kicks on.

The PC parts picker link I posted in my original post at the top is my entire rig that is already up and running.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Awesome! Yea, this is my first water cooling anything, so I have been on YouTube a lot today. Linus and I have become very close over the years ha.

I didn't plan on doing a push/pull. Just keeping things as simple as possible. I've avoided water cooling for many reasons, but I was unaware up until last year that custom loops where not the only options. I wasn't really aware of AIO coolers for the longest time.

I have it coming tomorrow in an overnight shipping. I'll come back and post my updates.

I see that corsair has monitoring software for their coolers. You have any xp with it? I'm realising now that I have a lot of corsair in my rig. Keyboard, mouse, and the RGB mouse pad. The state for those works pretty solid, but I have no xp with the cooling software. Well it monitor everything? And what about water leaks? What are the things tolook out for with those?

It comes with Corsair link software. As long as you plug in the mini usb when you install the CPU you can monitor temps etc... with Corsair link. I like the software, it gives more then just CPU, also does hard drives and a few other devices that comes from senses on the motherboard.

The only thing I don't like about the software is there is really no option to resize the software window. It is full size or a static minimized size. It's pretty annoying when I want it to only take up like half of a monitor screen and cant. Also I don't like that I can reorganize the layout of the devices in the software. They are statically placed, you can't drag and drop or reorder the important ones to the top of the list and ones you dont care about to the bottom.

That's mainly why I use HWmonitor. Its simply but atleast I can resize the window... lol

However, Link is good. I like the design and look of it for sure!

As for leaks. There really isn't anything that can monitor that but that is also an advantage of using a closed loop system. it is sealed by the manufacture airtight. I've never heard of a AIO closed loop system leaking, unless someone did something like tug on the pipes or something to hard. (which is hard to do since its seal very well).

It will come with corsair link. It will use a usb port. I am not at home with my system, but if memory serves me correctly, there will be a micro usb wire that will go into your pump, and will then lead to the usb header on the motherboard. This will allow you to use Corsair link. You can control the pump and fan speed through corsair link and it will give you information about temps of your components.

I run push/pull in my system, but it is not necessary. It will drop your temps a little, but nothing major.

I did change the fans that came with the H115i as they were a little loud. I got the corsair ml 140mm pro, they are very very quite and look nice too. But I would wait till you have everything installed and see how it sounds cause the Corsiar ml fans are not cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Premium-Magnetic-Levitation-CO-9050048-WW/dp/B01G5I6Q94/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1500578086&sr=8-5&keywords=corsair+ml140+pro

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Thanks for the replies, guys! Lots of great info coming my way between you and YouTube videos.

I was actually just going to ask about fans! Funny you brought that up. I am actually looking into replacing all the fans in my rig eventually. I have this RGB/LED theme going with my case, motherboard, mouse, mouse pad, and keyboard, and was looking into changing out the fans for RGB ones. But I want to make sure I am getting high end fans. I am not to educated on them, but I use Google for just about anything PC related and figure things out for myself. But if you guys have any recommendations, I'll surley take them!

The further along I go, the more I realize I am just a tech junky ha. I have pretty goof sized budgets to work with, so the $30 fans are not really much to me as far as price goes.

Honestly fans weren't to bad. But to be fair my case has sound dampering so I didn't really notice it.

I changed them out just to match my case colors and for some RBG lighting. I use Fractal Design Rad rated pressured fans and have them linked to a fan controller in front of my PC for switching between auto and manual speed controls. I normally stick to my custom fan curve settings. I have two configs. One profile for the CPU\Rad fans and another for all remaining fans in my case. But those settings are something you have to play with yourself to get your ideal temps. Every PC design is different.

However, the included fans are pretty decent. Other then preference or sound, there really isn't much reason to change them out.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Ok guys, so my cooler is set to be delivered today. I have a question about the install.

On my motherboard, I have the standard CPU fan plug. Running the dual fans for the radiator, I am assuming the cooler has a 2 in 1 plug where both fans are going to connect to that, yes? What about the pump? My mother board has 2 fan connectors labeled "CPU_OPT_PUMP". Is there a place I should plug the pump into? Does the pump need to be plugged into a PWM plug... and how can I tell if the CPU_OPT_PUMP headers are PWMs or not? In the manual they headers are labled 'CPU_OPT_PUMP/SYS_FAN3_PUMP'

Any ideas?

The motherboard is a Gigabyte X99 Ultra Gaming:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=n82e16813128928&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleKWLess&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleKWLess-_-DSAFeed-All-Products-_-motherboards-intel-_-NA&ignorebbr&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg6-nr7ea1QIVTh2BCh2ECg6tEAAYASAAEgInkPD_BwE

PWM simply means that the FAN has the extra connector to allow it to be managed rather then not managed. If you have a plug that matches the number of leads on the fan header. Then use it and you will be able to manage the fan controls.

There is no need to drill down into "if the motherboard can support it or not" based on manual description.If the fan pins are 4 and your mobo has the same fan header with 4 plugs. Use that and you should be able to manage the fans.

If your fan plug has 4 pins but the only thing you have on your mobo is one with 3. Can you use that as well but the fans will be controlled by the BIOS automatically, you wont be able to control it directly with software.

As for the pump. Just plug it into the same header you were using for the stock CPU. As long as the plugs are the same (aka 4 pin to 4 header), the pump should turn on and be manageable.

That's one thing I love about PC building. It's pretty hard to get plugs wrong. That's why there is different size plugs for fan and something like, ATX power for example. Just use the same plug types that match on your mobo and you should be fine. For the most part.

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
I know about the fans and only being able to be plugged in to the fan pets and what not, my confusion was the pump and where that gets plugged in. I'm assuming the pump is the main coming unit not, and the fans just help blow the heat. But are the fans suppose to be PWM controlled as well so you can tamp them up as the temp rises? That's where I'm getting a little confused. With an air cooled cpu, you just plug the fan in the cpu fan plug and you're done. Butt with this liquid cooler, there is the pump and 2 fans...

"butt" lol Yeah I get ya.

Plug the pump into the same header the stock CPU was using. All the pump needs is power and it can draw enough from that header.

As for the fans. Again that shouldn't really matter where you plug it into as long as it's a 4 pin header on the motherboard so it can be controlled.

What I would do is plug everything up the way you think it should go. Plug the power in and turn on the system with the case open. Make sure the fans are spinning and the pump is flowing. If that is working then power down the system plug everything back up as normal.

Turn on system like you normally do, and install the Link software. See if you can see the fans and heat temps etc... and play around with the settings to make sure it is controllable.

You wont break the system as long as you can know it is getting cooling. The fans are spinning and the pump is running.

See if this video helps ya.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm-tDRezd5s

liberty610

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2012
Okay sounds good. I already installed the link program. Like u says, this is my first liquid cooling attempt, so I'm not really sure what to expect ha. I know enough of what in doing in air coming. I build rigs all the time with those. But I know very little about liquid coolers. Wasn't even sure if the plump made any noises or anything...

I have Arctic 5 silver paste that I always use on my heat drinks for air coolers. Should I go with that and wipe off the pre applied paste?

As stated before, the pump will get plugged into the CPU 4 pin header on your motherboard. Attached to the pump will also be 2 female 4 pin connection wires. These 2 female 4 pin connections is where you will plug in the fans from the radiator. You will need to plug the USB cable provided into the pump and USB header on your mobo. This will give you control over the fan and pump speed through Corsair Link. You can rout all of the wires through the back of the case for easy cable management. The whole process is pretty easy and straight forward.

TRENDING THREADS