Looking to add a gtx 970 to an older gaming rig. Any severe bottlenecks in this system?

igamon

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Current gfx card: gtx 570

Mobo: MSI p67a-gd80 (b3)
CPU: i5 3570k
RAM: 16 GB DDR3
PSU: Antec 550W
Hard drives: two 2 TB hard drives (platter disks)

When I upgrade the gfx card, I'm wondering if my current system will suffer any severe bottlenecks at the other components. Looking to play newer games like Evolve on high quality, and the current setup just doesn't cut it.

Thanks.

FunSurfer

Distinguished

The i5 3570k will not bottleneck the GTX 970. I have also a relatively old system with i7 2600 and HDD, I had a GTX 760 and got slideshow performance on FC4 ultra settings (900p) then I upgraded to a GTX 970 and the performance is great on maxed settings.

Edit: check that your motherboard has no issues with the 970, my motherboard is also a P67 (asus) IDK if it is true or not, but to be on the safe side I bought an asus card and it worked, maybe you should consider an MSI card for yourself.

bikeracer4487

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Your 3570K should be plenty powerful enough to support two 570s or even a 970. That said, you'll notice the largest improvement on games that are HEAVILY GPU-limited, like the Metro or Crysis series.

Sounds like a good move to me, the i5 3570K is still a VERY fast gaming CPU and unlikely to restrict a GTX970, even slightly.
Before upgrading, update the motherboard BIOS, there MAY be issues with installing such a new card in an 'old' motherboard.
Before carrying out the upgrade, uninstall any tuning/tweaking software and delete any saved data when asked, use CCleaner to clean out the old registry/folders as well then download, but don't install, the latest WHQL drivers from the Nvidia website, that way they'll be available for installing once the upgraded system boots.

igamon

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Thanks guys, I'm gonna go for it then! I'll definitely update the mobo BIOS and prep everything beforehand, it's been a while since I've poked around in there. Man, I sound like a married man now.

EDIT: bought and installed the gtx 970, works like a charm. Evolve on max settings, woo hoo.