[SOLVED] Looking to Build a 2006-07 Gaming Rig, Need Suggestions for Parts

avrona

Reputable
Feb 11, 2019
I am planning on building a gaming rig from roughly 2006-07, and I'm on the lookout for some parts for it. Since I wasn't really into hardware back then, I don't know what parts existed, so does anyone maybe know what kind of parts I should look out for for such a build? To really go with that whole early 2000's feel I would also like to use SLI in the rig if possible, which I hear requires motherboards with some special Nvidia Chipset. Though it's fine without it if it turns out SLI for the thing will be hard to get or expensive. I've also heard there are many places where you could get such parts for free, does anyone maybe know of any?

Solution
Some indication of parts you can look for,look for these chipsets,see if you can find something sli for yourself.

EVGA e-GeForce 8600GTS aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Asus P5Q-EM met C2D, koeler en ram aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Asus Rampage Formula aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
these are from a Dutch site,but are used parts in the years you look for.
Add in some ddr2 ram 800mhz (6400) or a little slower 667mhz (5300),think depending on what a motherboard can use 2x4gb or 4x2gb.

Rest is same as a current pc,mean psu+case etc. Use a normal hdd...

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Some indication of parts you can look for,look for these chipsets,see if you can find something sli for yourself.

EVGA e-GeForce 8600GTS aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Asus P5Q-EM met C2D, koeler en ram aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
Asus Rampage Formula aangeboden - Vraag & Aanbod - Tweakers
these are from a Dutch site,but are used parts in the years you look for.
Add in some ddr2 ram 800mhz (6400) or a little slower 667mhz (5300),think depending on what a motherboard can use 2x4gb or 4x2gb.

Rest is same as a current pc,mean psu+case etc. Use a normal hdd with it. Sata ssd might well work but not at rated speeds,maybe something cheap wil do fine.

Solution

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
most computer/laptop repair shops do have those. sometimes in a fully built system, you can also maybe check pc warehouses i dont know what they are exactly called but they pretty much hoard pc components, you might try your luck there. you would have to do a lot of digging or online searching to get them though or ask around people you know some households still have pretty ancient PC or even work places or government offices and establishments.

but i found a XPS 720 which had the QX6700 and a 8800GTX in SLI at the hospital where my mom worked at the time , they were gonna throw it away but i asked if i could have it and they gave it for free, i kept it for collection. since i loved the Q6600~QX6800 and 8800GTX era. sadly the 8800GTXs were dead and so was the PSU so i placed it in my XPS 630 View: https://imgur.com/a/CmyQMwF
, validation i made back then https://valid.x86.fr/gyyccv . )

gatgraham

Prominent
Jan 30, 2020
I am planning on building a gaming rig from roughly 2006-07, and I'm on the lookout for some parts for it. Since I wasn't really into hardware back then, I don't know what parts existed, so does anyone maybe know what kind of parts I should look out for for such a build? To really go with that whole early 2000's feel I would also like to use SLI in the rig if possible, which I hear requires motherboards with some special Nvidia Chipset. Though it's fine without it if it turns out SLI for the thing will be hard to get or expensive. I've also heard there are many places where you could get such parts for free, does anyone maybe know of any?

Thermaltake Swing Case, my first case from around 2006-2007, still have it to this day!
https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-swing-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811133172

TRENDING THREADS