Looking to build my first PC. Help please.

StanSkar

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015
Hey guys. I want to build my first pc for gaming ( high end pc gaming) and 3d design which include rendering. I want to take opinions about the components:

i7 4790
Nvidia gtx 980 or 970 4gb
Ram 16g
Hard drive: 1T + 128ssd (or 256ssd)
Motherboard: im torn between the asus z97-A or the asus maximus ranger (please help)
Power supply: 750w fsp

And will i need water cooling or the air cooling of the case should be enough?

Plus i'll be playing/working on a 1080p display or could change to 1444p
Should this be good/enough for high end games and 3d design work?

And another question, what is clocking amd how it works?

Please i need some help here since im raw at this and thanks in advance. :)

Solution
Nice build you have their. For the motherboard I would go with the Asus z97-A because it's cheaper and the Ranger doesn't really offer much more. Also I would get a different power supply as that power supply is pretty average and probably shouldn't be powering such an expensive rig. As for the cpu you have the non overclocking version (non-k) meaning you really only need the stock cooler. However, getting an aftermarket cpu cooler will lower the noise and heat a bit. I suggest the CM 212 evo as you probably won't really be able to utilize a higher end cooler.

psu's I would recommend for your build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WRYb23 Seasonic...

chilly2468

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Nice build you have their. For the motherboard I would go with the Asus z97-A because it's cheaper and the Ranger doesn't really offer much more. Also I would get a different power supply as that power supply is pretty average and probably shouldn't be powering such an expensive rig. As for the cpu you have the non overclocking version (non-k) meaning you really only need the stock cooler. However, getting an aftermarket cpu cooler will lower the noise and heat a bit. I suggest the CM 212 evo as you probably won't really be able to utilize a higher end cooler.

psu's I would recommend for your build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WRYb23 Seasonic
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tQtjGX EVGA

As for learning about clock speeds and overclocking, I would ask about that in a separate forum post or look it up.

Solution
The GTX 980 will offer better performance in CUDA-accelerated 3D design but not a lot of improvement in gaming (relative to its price). I'd also recommend getting the 4790K instead of the normal 4790 so you can take advantage of that Z97 chipset (overclocking). As chilly2468 said that power supply is not good and I'd recommend changing it. As for cooling, the stock cooler will work just fine if you don't overclock, a good aircooler will allow you to overclock nicely and watercooling would only be required if you plan to do massive overclocking on the CPU.

chilly2468

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015

Agreed, you should get a 4760k rather than just the 4790. Also you sir have a great profile picture :)

StanSkar

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

Thanks for taking slme time answering this. I appreciate it. And as for the cpu i forgot to mention the "k". it's an i7 4790k. So does that change anything? And as for the power supply it's the 750w fsp gold so again does this change it to be the better version? And i guess i'll be adding air fans for the cpu and the gpu. Thanks again for answering. :)

For the PSU get an EVGA SuperNOVA 750 (750W Gold Full-Modular). They tend to be the least expensive good-quality PSUs with those specs.

StanSkar

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

The gtx 980 should be enough for a 1440p display 60fps for the latest games? Or even two displays. One 1440p and the other is 1080p?

Yes and no in a way. It will be more than enough to run any game at 1440p 60FPS but it would run into problems if you attempted to use both monitors for gaming. It can run both monitors for anything else though.

StanSkar

Reputable
Dec 5, 2015

What kind of problems please? Cause i've noticed many set ups that use two, three or more monitors

Lack of VRAM. The 980 only has 4GB of VRAM which is enough for any game at max settings 1440p, but if you added a second monitor it might run out of VRAM. You'd only encounter this in the latest AAA games though.