[SOLVED] Looking to buy a secondary workstation/gaming PC (possibly laptop) need suggestions!

mf2385

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I do most of my video editing/adobe/python and stuff like that on my main desktop computer and looking to either get a mobile workstation/gaming laptop or another desktop so I can do more at the same time. I am looking for suggestions but I'm leaning more towards a laptop for the mobility and also less power draw to it, is there anything to be said with that? I can at least use it without plugging it in for a couple hours I'm hoping also, but I usually leave on my desktop for long hours using python and other software, and I'd probably at least do that somewhat with my new separate rig, can I do this sort of thing with a mobile workstation/gaming laptop as well? What are your suggestions?!

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I was referring to the charge/discharge cycle. Typically batteries fair quite well just plugged in all the time. They only see use when the laptop spikes over the input power from the wall.

Like I said, you have basically described "a laptop" Adobe Premiere would lead you more towards an i7 or Ryzen 7 and a light GPU. Though Intel's Xe and some of the Ryzen APUs are pretty decent. If you want a mobile workstation with a larger GPU, or a gaming laptop, again available.

Sounds like you know what you want. Just start looking at prices and features.

If you want a recommendation you will need to set some sort of rough pricing and go into more detail about storage, memory, screen size, etc.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure there is a good answer here. If you want an ultrabook/laptop/mobile workstation, they are available. If you want another desktop, again, particularly an OEM purchase can be had in a few weeks with whatever options you want.

Mobile computers do use less power. It should be plugged in when not needing to be mobile, you won't save any power by unplugging it for a few hours, recharging it later (excepting some peak demand scenario). That will just put more wear and tear on the battery.

If you understand your workload and desired features, picking out a suitable solution in your budget should be easy enough.

If you want brand recommendations, I've not found huge differences between the various OEMs. Lenovo tends to have cheaper products on average, but their business line goes toe to toe with most others. Dell has a serious support problem that they seem unwilling to solve. My brother the engineer swears by ASUS laptops. In the office I have pretty much used Dell's and a Lenovo once. My personal laptop is an older (haswell) Lenovo, but I hardly use it except when I travel (not lately), just to have a computer that isn't a smartphone.

mf2385

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2007
I basically want a mobile workstation/gaming machine that I can use coding software/python to do work for me overnights and during the day possibly Adobe Premiere editing and stuff like that, similar to my desktop, but I'd rather not get another desktop, and I do know by leaving the laptop on overnight plugged in it will wear out the battery, but I can always get another battery at some point correct, plus having a mobile workstation to go with my main desktop has other benefits as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was referring to the charge/discharge cycle. Typically batteries fair quite well just plugged in all the time. They only see use when the laptop spikes over the input power from the wall.

Like I said, you have basically described "a laptop" Adobe Premiere would lead you more towards an i7 or Ryzen 7 and a light GPU. Though Intel's Xe and some of the Ryzen APUs are pretty decent. If you want a mobile workstation with a larger GPU, or a gaming laptop, again available.

Sounds like you know what you want. Just start looking at prices and features.

If you want a recommendation you will need to set some sort of rough pricing and go into more detail about storage, memory, screen size, etc.

Solution