[SOLVED] Looking to buy a used graphics card for older motherboard.

Adi88

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
Hey everyone, I have an old system that I use for some light gaming and entertainment. The graphics card has recently given up and looking to find a used one to replace it with.

I know cpu's need to match the socket of the motherboard to even work but wondering if gpu's are that strict as well? How modern can I go? A somewhat modern one would be good to use when I'm finally ready to move on from this system. I have about $100-$150 CAD to spend.

Asus P5KPL-CM Link to board
Core 2 Duo E8400
4GB DDR3 Memory - Not sure what speed.
Windows XP
----------------
Nvidia 9600GT [Stopped working, need to replace] The FPS wasn't great with this card in the games I was playing but it was playable. So just a moderate upgrade over that would be really enjoyable.

Thank you everyone, have a great holiday season!

Solution
The best GPU I would throw into such an old system, that should still work with the motherboard is a GT 1030, which is probably around 250-300% faster than the 9600 GT you were using. Try to get the GDDR5 version which usually has 2GB of vram. However, there are no drivers for Windows XP to use the GT/GTX 10 series. The GTX 700 series is I think the last to have XP drivers and the GTX 750/750 TI are equivalent in performance to the GT 1030. I have no idea what the best and newest Radeon series would be that works with Windows XP and with such an old motherboard.

Edit - Looks like there may actually support for the GTX 950 and 960 with the last Windows XP driver release...

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
I did some googling and saw that board is from 2009 and PCIe 1.0? That's a pretty old system and I assume the power supply is very old and that of a low wattage. I can't recommend a card for that system but I'm sure someone here can.

What is your power supply make, model and wattage?

Adi88

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2014
I did some googling and saw that board is from 2009 and PCIe 1.0? That's a pretty old system and I assume the power supply is very old and that of a low wattage. I can't recommend a card for that system but I'm sure someone here can.

What is your power supply make, model and wattage?

It's a Thermaltake TR2 600W Link

Thanks again.

The best GPU I would throw into such an old system, that should still work with the motherboard is a GT 1030, which is probably around 250-300% faster than the 9600 GT you were using. Try to get the GDDR5 version which usually has 2GB of vram. However, there are no drivers for Windows XP to use the GT/GTX 10 series. The GTX 700 series is I think the last to have XP drivers and the GTX 750/750 TI are equivalent in performance to the GT 1030. I have no idea what the best and newest Radeon series would be that works with Windows XP and with such an old motherboard.

Edit - Looks like there may actually support for the GTX 950 and 960 with the last Windows XP driver release. https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/105040/en-us

Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'd look for a 750 Ti and not one that requires supplementary power. The PSU is old and fairly garbagey even when new, so I wouldn't get anything that needed even a six-pin power cable. And I wouldn't go newer than a 700 series because later GPUs don't always work properly with extremely old motherboards (no UEFI support).

One potential issue is that modern graphics cards expect to be installed where there is a uefi bios. That may or may not be possible on your older motherboard.
Some modern cards will also run on a legacy bios, but you would need to verify that.

I second the suggestion of a GTX750ti. It runs on pcie slot power which is a max of 75w.
Another plus is that the evga model supports displayport and a 4k monitor @60hz.
Precisely why I picked that unit for a second pc.
They go for $65 or so on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeFor...sh=item3b542f9305:g:y7oAAOSwO6Bf4p8d&LH_BIN=1

Do not buy the stronger FTW versions which need aux power