Looking to max out anything at 1080P with 60 FPS. Help appreciated.

snackeyg

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
So I built this using PCPartPicker and was wondering what you guys think for the sole purpose of maxing out any games I throw at it with a resolution of 1080p and 60 FPS.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nn8CjX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nn8CjX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($256.99 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($67.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($67.88 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.78 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 980 4GB Twin Frozr Video Card ($489.21 @ B&H)

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.99 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($87.95 @ OutletPC)

Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1645.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-02-01 17:20 EST-0500

Solution
If you say max ANY games, then look to a GTX980ti.
It is a considerable boost over a GTX980.

On the rest of the build, very good.

You will need a cooler since the 6600K does not come with one.
14nm runs cool, a simple cryorig H7 will do.

Actually your 2400 speed ram is very effective.
skylake does not depend on fast ram for performance.
Read this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
Moreover, I think the higher voltage for faster ram takes away from the power budget and inhibits cpu overclocking.

Larger ssd devices perform better.
I suggest you buy a 1tb Samsung evo and forget about the second ssd and the itb hard drive.
If you need extra storage for large files, then adding a hard drive later is easy.

650w is...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Your biggest factors for maxing everything out at 1080p / 60FPS are going to be CPU, GPU & to a lesser extent RAM - what you're listing there should be more than sufficient.

Some comments though:
1. The Z170 chipset supports RAM speeds well in excess of the 2400MHz you're listing. For the minimal price difference, I suggest you take higher speed RAM.

2. 8GB (2x4GB) should still be enough to max out any game today. 16GB isn't a bad option though for the price, allowing you to still max everything out, and multitask with ease.

3. The 120GB SSD seems like a waste. Assuming you're looking to use it as a boot drive - why not just partition the 500GB to allow this? Ample mechanical storage with the 2TB WD.

4. The NEX PSU is not the best - it's far from the worst, but in a $1,700 rig, I'd suggest you start with a more solid base. SuperNOVA G2/G2 would be a much better pick - although anything Tier 1 or 2 would be a good option. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

If you say max ANY games, then look to a GTX980ti.
It is a considerable boost over a GTX980.

On the rest of the build, very good.

You will need a cooler since the 6600K does not come with one.
14nm runs cool, a simple cryorig H7 will do.

Actually your 2400 speed ram is very effective.
skylake does not depend on fast ram for performance.
Read this:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1478-page1.html
Moreover, I think the higher voltage for faster ram takes away from the power budget and inhibits cpu overclocking.

Larger ssd devices perform better.
I suggest you buy a 1tb Samsung evo and forget about the second ssd and the itb hard drive.
If you need extra storage for large files, then adding a hard drive later is easy.

650w is fine; I like the Seasonic units better.
I also do not value modular or gold rating if the price differential is important.

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
For a minimal price difference (and also minimal voltage differences) the faster RAM will likely hold up better in the long term. That's making an assumption, absolutely, but it's not going to serve you worse - only the same, or better. 2400MHz isn't bad at all, but considering we're starting to see speeds exceeding 3000MHz, I wouldn't be surprised if that can be utilized in the not-so-distant future.

For the GPU - Ultimately, a 980ti is the best option overall. But, it depends on your useage. To max any game today, a 980 will do just find, so would an R9 390x (8GB) for almost 20% less - and it performs marginally better at 4K resolutions.

If you're not playing at 4K, and are only talking about maxing everything today, then the 980 is sufficient.
If you're talking maxing everything now, and for the next 12 months or so, the 980ti would be the better option - but costs another $200 (roughly).

I don't necessarily agree with the "larger SSD devices perform better". There's no proof to that, provided there's sufficient free space on a drive. Same with 2x partitions of a larger drive. As long as they're nowhere near full, there's no performance difference.

SeaSonic, XFX, EVGA (P2, G2, GS, even B2) - there's many quality units, and what you go for will depend on your budget and how much you care about Bronze/Silver/Gold or whether it's Modular/Semi/No.

Personally, I run a SuperNOVA B2, Bronze, Semi-Modular. One of the cheaper, quality 750W units generally.

TRENDING THREADS