[SOLVED] Looking to replace mother board and processor if needed. thanks in advance

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I currently have a geforce gtx1060 3gb with 650 power watt supply. I have a intel i5 -4570 cpu @ 3.20 ghz and a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with 16 gig of Forza Ram with Asus VG 248QE 24in monitor.

So what I am asking is will there a big difference in my system now if I make any changes. My games all run to my knowledge sweet. but still new to the PC world and just checking my options. Thanks in advance

Solution
4K and the 1080Ti, it is passable. But as new games come out it will quickly fall behind. Certainly don't expect the highest settings in all titles. You may have to compromise and settle for less than 60FPS.

Personally going to stick with 1440p 144hz for a while longer. Even though my GTX1080 can't quite muster up the power to run the latest games above 80 or so FPS, I think I shall wait for the next Nvidia release. Looking forward to what a die shrink from them will do.

Nothing wrong with buying a monitor planning for the future, but if you are going to be stuck with it for a few years, be prepared. 4K 60hz is still a heavy load on every GPU but the 2080Ti. They are releasing 4K 120hz panels now, but it takes a pair of 2080Ti to...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You have to have a budget and goal in mind. A proper pairing can cost as much as $2000, down to about where you are at now at $300 or so.

What do you want to experience that you don't get now?

If the answer is FPS, a GPU that is faster than the one you have now that you can afford. So RTX 2060 and up to see something significant.

If the answer is higher resolution, how high, what FPS? If you don't want to slide backwards higher resolution high FPS panels are starting to get relatively cheap, but still start around $300, and a GPU to run them properly is going to set you back around $500. If you want an ultrawide high resolution high refresh display, you are back in that $2000 range. $1100-1300 for the monitor and $800-1200 for a GPU.

A lot of freesync panels now support G-sync, so keep that in mind. Plenty of 1440p 75hz monitors out there for quite a reasonable $250.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I am thinking about going for gtx 1080TI 11g founders edition. To make things play faster, fps now is about 80. Temps are good. So for future 4k monitor. As next upgrade after GPU. The i7-4790k I am very pleased with results.