[SOLVED] Looking to replace mother board and processor if needed. thanks in advance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So I currently have a geforce gtx1060 3gb with 650 power watt supply. I have a intel i5 -4570 cpu @ 3.20 ghz and a ASRock Z87 Extreme4 with 16 gig of Forza Ram with Asus VG 248QE 24in monitor.

So what I am asking is will there a big difference in my system now if I make any changes. My games all run to my knowledge sweet. but still new to the PC world and just checking my options. Thanks in advance

Solution
4K and the 1080Ti, it is passable. But as new games come out it will quickly fall behind. Certainly don't expect the highest settings in all titles. You may have to compromise and settle for less than 60FPS.

Personally going to stick with 1440p 144hz for a while longer. Even though my GTX1080 can't quite muster up the power to run the latest games above 80 or so FPS, I think I shall wait for the next Nvidia release. Looking forward to what a die shrink from them will do.

Nothing wrong with buying a monitor planning for the future, but if you are going to be stuck with it for a few years, be prepared. 4K 60hz is still a heavy load on every GPU but the 2080Ti. They are releasing 4K 120hz panels now, but it takes a pair of 2080Ti to...

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You might be thermal throttling if you get shuttdowns, you need to solve this issue first before getting a new cpu. And obviously you need to get into bios to overclock. If you never heavily overclocked with this motherboard i bet its still working fine and the issue is not hardware related and fixable.

Download hwmonitor and hwinfo and look your graphics card and cpu core temperatures when stress tesing , gaming , keep them backround. If you hit crazy values thermal throttling might be the issue. You need to also update your cooler to atleast hyper 212 look it up, dual fan is even better.

Use msinfo32 method to find out what bios version do you have : https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/checking-bios-version/
Version 3.40 is the latest for this motherboard and version 3.00 is the first version which supports i7-4790k and 4770k
I would however support the latest 3.40 since it adds pcie compatibility.

Read the manual or find it from asrock site to find out how to flash bios,

i7-2600 is sadly LGA 1155 processor which uses different socket. So you need either i7-4790k or i7-4770k for noticable gains.

OK what about the razen amd 5 2600 or higher ? Will that work?

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I have never klocked this board now did my buddy. I do have a bootleg copy of windows 10 on my PC came with it. could that be it? As i said I was also looking at the Razden 5 2600 . I will try these things and get back to you. thanks for all the help cheers!

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
i just realized this went to 2 pages lol. Ok so the changes I made was i thought solved the freezing issues and it still freezes,its weird if i go through the tutorial guide i can then go through the bios with no freeze issue. I changed some USB settings thats really it and did a BIOS UFEI update.

As far as the CPU change I now know what socket means thanks to you, So basically I need to need to stick with Intel pretty much. i am in the budget from $200 to $250 plus with the CPU cooler you recommended, so about $300 total.

I did use both those links you told me to look at and saw my temps and fan speeds are all good and also did a Diagnostic test on my CPU and all passed fine.

So let me ask you this since my CPU cooler fan is still running slow can I upgrade the fan for now?

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
i just realized this went to 2 pages lol. Ok so the changes I made was i thought solved the freezing issues and it still freezes,its weird if i go through the tutorial guide i can then go through the bios with no freeze issue. I changed some USB settings thats really it and did a BIOS UFEI update.

As far as the CPU change I now know what socket means thanks to you, So basically I need to need to stick with Intel pretty much. i am in the budget from $200 to $250 plus with the CPU cooler you recommended, so about $300 total.

I did use both those links you told me to look at and saw my temps and fan speeds are all good and also did a Diagnostic test on my CPU and all passed fine.

So let me ask you this since my CPU cooler fan is still running slow can I upgrade the fan for now?

UPDATE!!!

So I found out how to change MB settings and save and fan is moving much faster,

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You have motherboard with excellent 12 power phases. You might look into upgrading your cpu to i7 which is a "k" version meaning it has unlocked multiplier and you could get that thing running very high clocks with that motherboard. Look a good deal on either Core i7-4770K or Core i7-4790K dont really matter which one both have 4 core 8 threads and unlocked multiplier.

You get about 150% increase in performance even without overclocking your cpu : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-i5-4570/2275vs1896
And obviously score increases even more when you oc it 4,5ghz example

Just saves you some years until you have to upgrade motherboard since that looks like really good one going waste if you just update whole system.

Ok after reading and looking myself and understanding what you mean by socket fitting, I realize what you mean by " waste of a MB" I am definitely now going to go with the I7-4790K I am looking for one. going to look at used due to pricing and hope the best. also get the Hyper 212 cpu cooler fan.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You are locking yourself into that system though, nothing faster you can put in there, so this will be it. Only do it if you think you will be comfortable with it for at least two years.

Don't ignore listings of complete PCs with an i7-4790k, you could buy that, put your CPU in it and resell the whole thing. Only pay the difference in price plus shipping.

Something I commonly recommend with i7-4770 and i7-4790 systems for people upgrading from i3 or i5 on the cheap.

Also the possibility of passing that complete system to a family member or what have you.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
i7-4770k is fine aswell since your about to overclock it, whatever you find cheaper and that fan is really cheap and still powerful. You can use fan in next system too so its not waste of money. Just remember to get either i7-4770k or i7-4790k . you cant overclock non "k" model. Going used is fine too to save some money, even if the previous user overclocked it you wont be using this system more than next 2-3 years max anyways. I would guess used ones sell for around 100 euro / 100 usd or am i right , someone with more knowledge on these tell him what is good value

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
i7-4790k are closer to $150 shipped. You can get 4770k for about $100, but they are about 300Mhz less capable.

I have mine at a stable 4.3Ghz @ 1.29volts. Delidded with liquid cooling @ 1.35 volts it could probably do 4.5GHz easily enough. I ran it that speed once, but the temps were way too high. i7-4790k stock boost is 4.4Ghz, and they can be pushed to around 4.8Ghz with a good air cooler (probably a little more than an Evo 212, something like a mid-range Noctua, be quiet! Dark Rock 3 or 4, or the like.

i7-4790 will do a stock max boost of 4.0Ghz, so they aren't slouches compared to a stock i7-4770k at 3.9Ghz. 102Mhz BLCK and you get 4.12Ghz as well.

All that said, you are spending about $185, and you could get this, or wait for the 3000 series launch and see about getting any sales:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($145.78 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($84.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $295.66
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-21 13:58 EDT-0400

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You are locking yourself into that system though, nothing faster you can put in there, so this will be it. Only do it if you think you will be comfortable with it for at least two years.

Don't ignore listings of complete PCs with an i7-4790k, you could buy that, put your CPU in it and resell the whole thing. Only pay the difference in price plus shipping.

Something I commonly recommend with i7-4770 and i7-4790 systems for people upgrading from i3 or i5 on the cheap.

Also the possibility of passing that complete system to a family member or what have you.

I was actually thinking about that all ready with the whole system and reselling, I would really like a better CPU with a more up grade MB for system. Any thoughts on MBS and CPU'S

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
i7-4770k is fine aswell since your about to overclock it, whatever you find cheaper and that fan is really cheap and still powerful. You can use fan in next system too so its not waste of money. Just remember to get either i7-4770k or i7-4790k . you cant overclock non "k" model. Going used is fine too to save some money, even if the previous user overclocked it you wont be using this system more than next 2-3 years max anyways. I would guess used ones sell for around 100 euro / 100 usd or am i right , someone with more knowledge on these tell him what is good value

yes I have found one for $100 bucks never clocked

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I was actually thinking about that all ready with the whole system and reselling, I would really like a better CPU with a more up grade MB for system. Any thoughts on MBS and CPU'S

Right this second I would probably take an AMD X470 motherboard, maybe an Athlon 200GE ($55) or Ryzen 2200G ($85) to get basic operations and a BIOS update done. Then buy a Ryzen 5 3600 when it comes out and drop that in with a beefy cooler. See how far it will overclock. If things pan out it should certainly outperform an i7-4790k, and possibly the early Skylake and Kabylake chips (I have mine running at 5.0Ghz, but Ryzen 5 has two more cores, so it would probably even out there in newer games)

It's that or an expensive Intel platform. I probably wouldn't buy a Z390 board at the moment, I've been burned too many times thinking I could upgrade later. Though nothing wrong with an 8700k or 9700k. 9900k is a bit overpriced.

I have a Z87 board, but it can't accept a Broadwell chip, only the Z97 can (Not that that ever was really an option, though I still kind of want one)

I waited past Z170, thinking that Z270 would give me a better upgrade path. So what do they do, make the new CPUs only available on Z370 and Z390. (There are ways around that, and I might still do it, kind of tempting to drop a 9700k in here)

I've been thinking about going back to HEDT and getting the next X series board from Intel, at least you are assured a few generations there since it is based on the server chips. But I would bet AM4 is going to be the socket for AMD until DDR5 hits the market.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
What changes you did? Also ryzen is amd it wont work with this socket, my options are only ones which gives noticable performance boost.

Sorry did not see the question about changes I changed the I think it said processor speed from Auto to 100. And then I have ran test on CPU and checking temps it's running 45c while playing FF XIV for about 5 hours. My FPS is now pretty solid at 60 FPS also Ran BF5 online for couple hours and seems to be some better smoothness. I been wanting to do some upgrades for a while. And I would like for these to last for a while. I have no issues with also getting a GPU. If needed. But I really like the 1060.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
So the new AMD X470 Pro I found is running $160 which with a CPU and a new fan gonna be nice set up. so the following 2 I am looking at. If it makes a BIG difference is the few more dollars worth it?

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119100?Description=x470&cm_re=x470-_-13-119-100-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/asus-rog-str...iption=x470&cm_re=x470-_-13-119-099-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails?ItemList=Combo.3886107

I really like this combo what are your thoughts??

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I7-4790k/i7-4770 or the like will certainly be an improvement, but won't be drastic. Relatively inexpensive though.

Or buy that combo now and have instant regret when the new chips come out. Or do it, and try to sell of the 2700 when the 3700 comes out.

Wait for the release and likely struggle to get product. Launches can be brutal. Look at nowinstock.net if you have issues getting parts.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
I7-4790k/i7-4770 or the like will certainly be an improvement, but won't be drastic. Relatively inexpensive though.

Or buy that combo now and have instant regret when the new chips come out. Or do it, and try to sell of the 2700 when the 3700 comes out.

Wait for the release and likely struggle to get product. Launches can be brutal. Look at nowinstock.net if you have issues getting parts.

So I am thinking about this new build what are your thoughts

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z2xrTB

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Might as well aim for a Z390 board if you are going that route. Get the latest board for the socket in case they release more chips. (More and more looking like they might have to) You can always pick up a used i9-9900k later on (though practically in the same boat you are now going from an i5 to an i5)

Not something I would pick out myself. It would either be an i7-9700k or one of the new Ryzen 3000, R5 or R7. Just can't justify a hex core when you can get 12 threads for the same price.

I would probably still wait to see if Intel is going to try an attempt at price reduction as well. Would suck to find they dropped $30 off it in a week or two.

Not a big fan of the H60 either. There are air coolers better for the money, check out be quiet! and Noctua products in that price range. If you are doing water cooling, go big with at least a 240mm and up, otherwise it is just a convenience factor. Some argument can be made for things like the h80i since it is double the normal thickness, but even then it wasn't super effective compared to even some lower end heatsinks I have used.

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
I cant advice anything about these new intel or amd chips but i have experience with coolers and IF you want want to get liquid cooling then dont get anything other than CORSAIR or NZXT products like Corsair h150i , H115i , kraken x72 etc, choose whatever you want depending on your budget. Benchmarks can be found on youtube.

I used to repair PC:s and there are some serious problems with some liquid cooler manufactors, even leaks are not uncommon. Only manufactors which provide longer warrantys for leaks etc are Corsair and NZXT (corsair 5 years and nzxt 6 years)
Think about the longelivity of your liquid cooler, you can use it in next 2 systems if you pay little bit more and not worry about leaks etc for more than half a decade if you choose wisely.
(Ofcourse you get better results going custom but that is large investment to make, aircooler is never bad option too, only minus is it can look bad and some cases wont fit large aircoolers, also you might need to detach aircoolers when moving your pc, you however save money by going quality aircooler if you dont mind these things)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I can say that my h80i did leak, so warranty isn't everything if it wrecks your stuff. O-ring failure at the outlet. I could have fixed it, but I went one step too far in taking it apart and snapped a wire going to the pump. Too deep to solder it back on. Should have just gotten an o-ring at that point and refilled it, oh well. It served well for many years, and I have since done more custom water cooling.

Luckily it only restarted the computer in question when it dripped on the back of the GPU. Just had to clean it up and stick a big air cooler on it and it was fine until I retired it.

Any of the Asetek pumps that NZXT and Corsair often use are represented by many brands, so that isn't a big factor in my mind. If they look like an Asetek pump, they usually are. Pretty much everything from NZXT, half the old and all the new Corsair models, Thermaltake, Antec, etc all use them as an OEM.

Plenty of brands with their own designs are just fine as well. Just want to stick to the more expensive models.

Reactions: fagetti

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
You have motherboard with excellent 12 power phases. You might look into upgrading your cpu to i7 which is a "k" version meaning it has unlocked multiplier and you could get that thing running very high clocks with that motherboard. Look a good deal on either Core i7-4770K or Core i7-4790K dont really matter which one both have 4 core 8 threads and unlocked multiplier.

You get about 150% increase in performance even without overclocking your cpu : https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-i5-4570/2275vs1896
And obviously score increases even more when you oc it 4,5ghz example

Just saves you some years until you have to upgrade motherboard since that looks like really good one going waste if you just update whole system.

So wanted to give an update I have found a slightly used Core I7-4790K for $120. So going with this and also 16 gigs of RIP jaws ram each stick 4gigs. Buying whole package for $150. So get my cooler fan and I am good. And will start saving for my new build. But I am excited to see the change you have showed me. I will let you know.