Looking to revamp.

Michael_410

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016
Im looking to revamp my computer. Currently I'm running the AMD FX(tm)-4100 quad-core, bulldozer architecture, with 8gb's of DDR3, a Nividia GTX 570 with 2gb on built in memory, with an MSI motherboard of some year and model, I can't fetch the specs atm. But with all that in mind, I'm looking to upgrade to the GTX 1060 3gb graphics card. Its fetching for 200$ and benching in the top ten for high-end graphics atm, which seems fair enough for the price. My fear is that upgrading to this card will leave my CPU lacking, and outdated, or completely incompatible all together. And in replacing the CPU to compensate, I'll run into the issue of my mother board being outdated and incompatible. Because this computer is roughly 4 - 5 years old. I've tried looking up articles, and even checking the company websites to find lists of supported parts. But It seems like pulling teeth to get one ounce of information. So help is needed!! Pretty please. <3

some motherboards will support the upgrade to the piledriver cpu's which are a bit better (you need to cehck the actual motherboard specs and update the bios the latest one supporting the new architecture)

you have problems in certain games with the 570? i imagine it plays most games on 1080p with medium-high settings.

if you can wait longer the more you wait the better performance you will get out of your money, also black friday is a great time to upgrade.

your old motherboard will most likely work with the new 1060, pci ex is backwards and forwards compatible, no problems with that.

what's your psu model and W? if you've been using your pc 24/7 4-5 years can be a long time for a low quality psu, you may want to start with that. did you have any problems in terms of stability over the years?

Michael_410

Commendable
Sep 15, 2016

I'll answer this in reverse. I don't know the model of my psu, but it's a 1000wt and technically it's the third one Ive hard on this computer so it's relatively new in comparison to all the other parts. As for the W what do you mean? And for the stability, no. No issues. My computer has ran rather fantastic over the years actually. I put the OS onto a ssd by itself and everything else has ran beautifully. The GTX 570 as you guessed has held up well for me. And yes it run everything on about medium high, even though I can push things to high and still have decent fps.
But as of late, I've been playing games like overwatch which require a system that has a bit more umph that mine can give. Also I've been dabbling into Emulators. (Disclaimer, I only download emulators I own the console for, and all ISO's I use are copies of games I own.) The Dolphin emulator plays nice with my system (GameCube) but the pcsx2 (Playstation 2) does not. And that's because if my system can't run the game at 60fps consistently is scales the games spend down according. So if I have 30fps the games running at 50%, slow mode essentially. And that's a problem because then I'm forced to drop the graphics quality down to achieve that fps. I'm also running into issues of not being able to use Anti-aliasing about 6x, and many of the newer graphical options. I paid about 200 for the GTX 570 when it was benching in the top 10, so moving to the 1060 which is exactly the same price at spot 6, I think is a fair trade.
As for the motherboard I will look into that, I'm just more worried about the CPU compatibility with the GTX 1060, I'm looking at the i5's which seem to benching rather high overall, but some of the i7s are wayyyy higher. Holding the top 1 - 5 spots.