Looking to Swap Motherboard in ax3400g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
I'm kinda new to computers and want to get my feet wet.
I have an Acer Aspire AX3400G-U4802 That I picked up for near nothing. And I'm actually really surprised at how this thing handles everything, but I want to upgrade.
AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.1 GHZ
4GB DDR3 Ram
Integrated NVIDIA GeForce 9200... :S
1 TB HD
And a 220W PSU...>:C

I'm wanting to swap this motherboard into a proper sized case/tower, but am having a hard time finding what it really is and if its compatible at all.
I can put in a somewhat decent/Low profile GPU in this case, but I'm worried about the PSU/Heat and just would rather have a better cool tower with a standard GPU.
I don't do heavy gaming but I like minecraft(this comp. plays easily), starcraft, and possibly league of legends in the future.
Like I said, its definitely not the greatest system, I got it for a decent price, can get a case/PSU fairly cheap.

Thanks for reading and thank you for your time.

Solution
Looking at the images found on TigerDirect's Web Site, you have a Mini-ITX motherboard. Any case that accepts a Mini-ITX form factor motherboard would work for you.

The problems that I foresee are:

1) You only have a PCI-Ex1 slot for expansion (as opposed to the normal PCI-Ex16 slot used for graphics). Now there are PCI-Ex1 graphic cards, but they're generally over-priced, low-end cards and not much better than your current graphic solution.

2) Since the only PCI-Ex1 graphic cards available are so low-end, you really do not need a power supply upgrade; which may actually save you from any compatibility issues with a *possibly* proprietary motherboard (standard power supply wiring doesn't match up).

All in all, I think your...

Wolfshadw

Titan
Looking at the images found on TigerDirect's Web Site, you have a Mini-ITX motherboard. Any case that accepts a Mini-ITX form factor motherboard would work for you.

The problems that I foresee are:

1) You only have a PCI-Ex1 slot for expansion (as opposed to the normal PCI-Ex16 slot used for graphics). Now there are PCI-Ex1 graphic cards, but they're generally over-priced, low-end cards and not much better than your current graphic solution.

2) Since the only PCI-Ex1 graphic cards available are so low-end, you really do not need a power supply upgrade; which may actually save you from any compatibility issues with a *possibly* proprietary motherboard (standard power supply wiring doesn't match up).

All in all, I think your best bet would be to just go with a low-profile card like this HIS Radeon HD5450 for $70 assuming you can use either a DVI or HDMI connection. It should work in your current system without issue.

-Wolf sends

Solution

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
Thank you for your help! I believe I do have a PCI-Ex1 as well as a PCI-Ex16? I have two available slots as of now. and online the specs say it has one of each. one tiny, the other looks about right. just not a lot of room above it(case)
I could be totally wrong though? haha

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I believe the PCI-Ex16 is right above the PCI-Ex1. Its right on the top of the case and hard to see in any of the pictures. Maybe?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Duh...

If I had bothered to actually look at the specifications page rather just relying on what I saw in the second to the last image, I would have seen that there is an available PCI-Ex16 slot. Sorry about that.

With that in mind, the problem now is whether or not you can properly replace the existing power supply with a standard power supply in a new case. Unfortunately, I'm not finding any information concerning that prospect.

-Wolf sends

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

Could I just check by looking at the Mobo power plug in? Do you think there is any possibility of overpowering this motherboard by doing so?

Wolfshadw

Titan
To be honest, there really isn't any telling without contacting Acer directly. Dell used to proprietary motherboards with different pin layouts for their motherboard power connectors. Connecting a standard ATX power supply caused problems and hardware failures. Granted, that was Dell and I'm not sure any other companies did the same, but it is something to watch out for.

Your best bet would be to contact Acer directly: http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/

-Wolf sends

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I just pulled open the case, and looked at the motherboard power connector out of curiosity, and it has a 24 pin plug, isn't that standard? I contacted Acer and all he had nothing to say about the motherboard.

This is what he said: Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer. My name is Kannan, badge number GWSI1692. I'll be happy to assist you.

I understand that you would like to upgrade the power supply in the system.

I have verified your product serial number and found that the unit is out of standard limited warranty.

The system came pre installed with power supply: 220 W (PFC, 80Plus-certified, more than 82% efficiency)

We have not tested with any other power supply and we are not sure whether it will work with the system.

Please be informed that Acer does not recommend altering the factory shipped System configuration. Changing the System configuration may cause driver conflicts. You have the option of upgrading or changing your System configuration at your own discretion. However, it is preferred that you keep to the original configuration of your system so that all the programs and applications in your computer will recognize all the hardware installed in it. In addition, we are not liable for any damage or compatibility issue that they may cause. Please be advised that any changes or upgrades to the original configuration of the system are done so at the sole risk of you the end user.

You can contact any local technician for assistance.

For further clarification, please feel free to visit our web site http://support.acer.com/

“Find solutions or advice from other Acer owners on the <http://community.acer.com>Acer Community! Give it a try today!”

Thank you for contacting Acer.

Have a great day!

Respectfully,

Acer America

Online Technical Support

Wolfshadw

Titan
Yeah, that is a whole lot of nothing.

Yes, the 24-pin count is standard, but it's the configuration of those pins that is of concern. Again, this is probably not an issue, but it is something that could prevent you from completing your upgrade and *may* cause damage to your system if the pin configuration is different from standard.

-Wolf sends

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I just got another message from him, he confirmed that these motherboards are micro-ITX. So, Technically, If I compared to a standard ATX/MicroATX PSU Wires configuration, it should work right? haha. Im wondering if I should upgrade the card to the best this machine can handle and leave it. Save up and build me a rig later on.

Wolfshadw

Titan
I just got another message from him, he confirmed that these motherboards are micro-ITX.

No such thing as "Micro-ITX". E-ATX, ATX, Micro-ATX, Mini-ITX are the common form factors today. If that's a misprint on your part, ok. If that's a direct quote from Acer support, you can stop listening to them.

So, Technically, If I compared to a standard ATX/MicroATX PSU Wires configuration, it should work right? haha.

If the Mini-ITX pin-out matches that of a standard ATX pin-out, then yes. It should work.

C0AF250.JPG

Standard ATX Pinout.

Im wondering if I should upgrade the card to the best this machine can handle and leave it. Save up and build me a rig later on.

I'd probably drop a single slot width Geforce GT620 or Radeon HD6450 in there and call it a day. Start saving for a new system and when you're ready to build that system, replace the DVD drive with a Blu-Ray drive to this system and make it your HTPC for your living room.

-Wolf sends

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013
UPDATE: If anyone is interested that is.
I successfully put my motherboard into a stardard MicroATX Case. Mounted right up, and is running off a 450W power supply. So far no problems. now there is enough room for a full sixe GPU and PSU.

Cummins801

Honorable
Aug 26, 2013

I acquired a pretty decent Micro ATX case for free, put all the guts from my slimline in it, and it is running normal. I will probably get a decent video card, and sooner than later buy a new setup and use that card in.
Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.