Looking to Transfer Alienware X51 Extreme to an ATX Sized Case / Motherboard

Darkvillan

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
So I have an Alienware X51 Extreme (Is what they used to go by, unable to find them anymore.) And I want to switch it out to an ATX motherboard, for ease of working with the motherboard and swapping in parts, the problem is, I don't want to start transferring, and then not have a working computer. So I was wondering if there is anyplace I could start by getting a case that could hold the Mini ITX motherboard the PC comes with, and then replace that with an ATX when I can save up the money for it, (In the same case). Also what would I need to upgrade/replace for this build to work properly. Thank you for all feedback!

Solution
Here's a list of cases that can fit a ITX & ATX motherboard.
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#f=2,8
For the transfer you will just need to make sure that the ATX motherboard you want uses the same CPU socket, supports the same RAM & has a PCIE slot for your graphics card.

Looking at the prices of ATX 1155 motherboards I think a better option is just to replace your RAM (from 8 to 16gb) & GPU to a GTX 1060 or something similar. **May need to replace PSU if you get a GPU that draws over 150W (per PCWorld review).**
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249382/alienware_x51_review_the_little_pc_that_could.html

WildCard999

Titan
Here's a list of cases that can fit a ITX & ATX motherboard.
http://pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#f=2,8
For the transfer you will just need to make sure that the ATX motherboard you want uses the same CPU socket, supports the same RAM & has a PCIE slot for your graphics card.

Looking at the prices of ATX 1155 motherboards I think a better option is just to replace your RAM (from 8 to 16gb) & GPU to a GTX 1060 or something similar. **May need to replace PSU if you get a GPU that draws over 150W (per PCWorld review).**
http://www.pcworld.com/article/249382/alienware_x51_review_the_little_pc_that_could.html

Solution

Darkvillan

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Thank you very much for all of the help! I will begin looking into this very soon, so what you're saying is to not change motherboards but to rather keep the M-ITX and rather just upgrade on that motherboard? I would definitely need to start with a PSU since the default alienware one is very very small.

WildCard999

Titan
Yea I would just use your current ITX motherboard unless there's a reason you need a larger MB (besides more RAM slots). I would upgrade RAM, CPU cooler if needed, PSU & GPU. Plus with a larger case you should get better airflow so essentially cooler parts.

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
One issue, the main switch and SATA ports etc are not on the motherboard but on a second small board, which I believe is what is failing in my Alienware. Just purchased a Silverstone Raven case and a 600w SFX powe supply. Then I just watch a youtube video stating the info regarding the SATA ports. Haven't had mine open in a while and I'm not sure.

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
It seems to be one of the biggest issues with the x51 r1 and possibly resolved in the R2 but I believe that is what is failing in mine. Computer won't stay in and about half the time won't post at all.

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017

I appreciate any help, I ordered a case and power supply, hoping I don't need a board.

WildCard999

Titan
Unfortunately if that smaller board is failing then the entire motherboard may need to be replaced. TBH though I've never seen a motherboard setup like that before and even though when it was first released you might of been able to get replacements I doubt there's anything available now.

WildCard999

Titan

What do you mean by it's not staying in? Is it falling out of the case or are the holes for the motherboard not lining up?

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I can't believe this, I got the new case and new power supply. When disassembling the alien I found the USB 3.0 cable was loose, I put it back together and the computer is running fine. I still have the heating issue so I would like to move to the new case. I can't figure out where the YouTube guy plugged the 12v cable int the mother board as it only has the 24 pin and a few other small plugs for fan etc.
I would really appreciate some help if any one has a clue.

WildCard999

Titan
Well that's good the motherboard isn't going bad. To figure out where to plug the cables in I would look for a model number on the motherboard then try to look it up. There should be a manufacturers website (Dell?) that should have a diagram explaining were everything needs to be plugged into.

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I made progress, I found the CPU power connection under the fan shroud for the CPU, the plug from the power supply which appeared to NOT fit is actually modular, and snaps apart into a 4+2 sort of thing. The only thing I have left to figure out is power switch reset switch and HDD LED!!!

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I found a diagram, everything wired up works fine except I get a "power sensor failure" hit F1 to continue. The sensor wire went from mother board to the power board, not sure what to do with that now.

SkiddMark

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I just set it to skip all errors in the bios, I'm good to go. I've been taking pictures and saving diagrams, I may post a video on YouTube I'm sure there is some on some where trying the same thing.

Thanks for your help Wildcard99

TRENDING THREADS