Looking to upgrade CPU, suggestions please

gnomicidal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Current:
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750

ASUS P7P55D-E Pro LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Looking for:

Earlier this year I purchased a GTX 780 and it's been really good to me. Now looking to get a mobo and processor up to par.

Probably looking to between 500-1000 for a solid combo that will last me a long time.

The mobo suggestion is really important to me because I haven't been that happy with my current mobo due to how long it takes to post and boot.

Also, definitely looking Intel. If i5 or i7, please just looking to know why one or the other. I was thinking i7, but I know many suggest away from that, and just curious why. I'll use the PC for high end current games.

Solution
People think the i7 is overkill, but with a 780 it is not, especially with games using more than 4 cores. I would go for a 4930k and an Asus Sabertooth X79. These will give you amazing performance, and for a bit more, Newegg has a combo with those two parts and 16gb of RAM for $1039.
People think the i7 is overkill, but with a 780 it is not, especially with games using more than 4 cores. I would go for a 4930k and an Asus Sabertooth X79. These will give you amazing performance, and for a bit more, Newegg has a combo with those two parts and 16gb of RAM for $1039.

Solution

logainofhades

Titan

If you are wanting to have this system last a long time, this suggestion is pretty spot on. You could go with a less expensive board probably though. Sabertooth line tends to be quite pricey.

trymetal95

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013

I would get the Intel Core i7-4770K or the Intel Core i5-4670K cpu, i would personally choose the i7-4770k based on what graphics card you have, also it would give you less of a bottleneck if you are planning to buy another graphics card and run SLI. i would also recommend buying the Noctua NH-D14 to keep it properly cool, the Intel stock fan is pretty much a piece of crap and the Noctua cooler will be far more silent and effective. if you find the Noctua cooler too ugly (i do) you could buy the Cooler Master V8 cooler, it is slightly less effective, but looks a lot better.
For motherboard you should probably get the ASUS Maximus VI Formula, with that MB you can run triple crossfire or SLI and get great functionality for tweaking, boosting and overclocking, it also has 8 SATA 3 ports

logainofhades

Titan

To some degree, yes you do. I usually stick to mid range boards, myself. The higher cost ones really don't seem to offer me anything I need.

logainofhades

Titan

I think you just came up with the perfect idea on what to use an FX 9590 for. :lol:

That can fit pretty much any cooler with those three slots on top. Take a look at some of Corsair's coolers too, really nice, easy to install. The Seidon is great too, so not detracting from Logain, just offering more options. The Kraken X60 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835146028) is also a really amazing cooler, but even more expensive.

gnomicidal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Is one or the other significantly better? Basically this is going to be my huge PC outlay cash-wise for a few years. I'd rather go for the superior part if it's in fact a better unit. I already ordered the 4930K, Sabretooth X79, and the Seidon 240M. Should I sub the Seidon for this unit?

gnomicidal

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
Thanks for all the help guys. Excited to get my rig up and running. One last question. With a rig like this obviously I should probably be looking to get the most out of it. What's a good newb source to overclocking and getting the most of a high end PC? I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about PCs but have yet to take the deep dive.