[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade from a 4690k HELP

Nov 22, 2018
Hello all,

Let me start off with my current specs

CPU: Overclocked Intel Core i5 4690K Quad-Core (4.0GHz-4.7GHz)

Power Supply: 850 Watt Corsair RM850

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Ranger

Graphic Cards: Dual 4GB NVIDIA GTX 970

Memory: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz (2x8GB)

This build has hit its 4 year mark, and its black friday/cyber monday, so I think now is the time to upgrade and capitalize on some of the upcoming deals.

My PC has been being used for gaming & streaming. My biggest hold backs as of recently have been poor gaming performance while streaming, and even whilst not streaming. Im guessing my biggest bottleneck is my CPU?

But to upgrade my CPU, in my understanding I'll have to get a new motherboard and RAM along with it? Since the new MB/CPU's require DDR4 RAM?

Anyways, I've been looking at the i7 8700k & 2700x. I've been leaning towards the 8700k but would like to know y'all's opinion on which would be better for streaming games.

With those 2 CPUs, which motherboard should I get?

Yes i know, I can compare motherboards on my own, but when im looking at the features and specs, I dont know exactly what I'm looking at. I suppose for reference, I want something close to the features my current motherboard is offering. Idk if I'll be overclocking, but a motherboard that has good OC features is something i know nothing about.

Im wondering if im making a good choice with these upgrades and ignoring the GPU upgrade for now because of budget reasons. If doing these upgrades, will my GPU's be a huge bottle neck?

I should also note i game at 1080p

Anyways, thanks for taking your time. Hope you guys can give me some good feedback and not troll on this post. Lol. :)

Solution
Well at 1080p, your realistic GPU maximum will be 1060 / 1070 / 1070 Ti, depending on game (and settings), tasks, monitors and so on. The 970 is around 90% of the 1060, so it's not in a bad place for now.

If you can afford the 2700x / mobo / RAM (3000 or 3200 best), I would look to adding an NVME drive, and get some serious performance. Adata's SX8200s are pretty good, and not too expensive. Gaming-wise, anything from a Ryzen 1600x would be an improvement on what you have, but if you're looking at gaming + streaming, you'll want more oomph in your system.

Maybe keep an eye out for any bargain GPUs too. The 1070 / 1070 Ti range might improve in price with the 2070s hitting the market.
Well at 1080p, your realistic GPU maximum will be 1060 / 1070 / 1070 Ti, depending on game (and settings), tasks, monitors and so on. The 970 is around 90% of the 1060, so it's not in a bad place for now.

If you can afford the 2700x / mobo / RAM (3000 or 3200 best), I would look to adding an NVME drive, and get some serious performance. Adata's SX8200s are pretty good, and not too expensive. Gaming-wise, anything from a Ryzen 1600x would be an improvement on what you have, but if you're looking at gaming + streaming, you'll want more oomph in your system.

Maybe keep an eye out for any bargain GPUs too. The 1070 / 1070 Ti range might improve in price with the 2070s hitting the market.

Solution