Looking to upgrade MOBO, Unsure on compatibility

Willpower21

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014
I am looking to upgrade my MOBO, mainly because I think I'm having issues due to it. I had previously bought new RAM that wouldn't work with it although it was completely compatible, and I am having issues with the gtx 1070 working with it as well. My main issue is that I have never dealt with buying a motherboard directly and have no idea how to make sure it will be a good fit for the rest of my components, as well as my case. I would like to avoid having to buy anything new along with the MOBO other than new RAM, as I would like to update to DDR4 (uses DDR3 right now). Here is the PCPartpicker for my build, minus the case because I could not find it online. It's a C Series white CyberPowerPC tower (I think mid-sized).
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kwNLpG
Any recommendations and advice pertaining to new motherboards would be appreciated! I am not looking for a top of the line board, as you can see from the parts this is a budget build and I'm just trying to get it all running smoothly. Since I'll be buying RAM too most likely, I'd rather not spend more than $250 on a board but like I said, I have no experience with them so feel free to correct me if I'll need to spend more! Thanks in advance.

Willpower21

Reputable
Jun 17, 2014

Do you mind giving me a link to start with? I'm not sure where to look for used boards and how much I can upgrade from what I have. So the i7-4770k will hold me back from upgrading to ddr4?

WildCard999

Titan

Well you'd want to look for a Z87/Z97 (1150 socket) motherboard on a site such as ebay but with the older Haswell CPU's (your i7) your unable to utilize DDR4 as the boards don't support it. At this point I'd sell your CPU, MB, RAM & buy a 8600K or 9600K with a Z390 motherboard and at least 8gb (2x4gb) of DDR4 @2666 (anything higher is diminishing returns, especially for Intel).