[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my CPU, and I need some guidance

Barbatum083

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2015
Greetings,
I thank you for taking the time to read over my thread, and hopefully be able to help me with my decision. I currently am using a i5-7600K with a Asus PRIME-Z270-A LGA1151 and I'm looking to upgrade to an i7-7700/7700K. According to my motherboard's compatible list, the 7700/K/T is as high as I can go as far as semi-current CPUs go. I have this comparison set up, but to be honest, not much of it means anything to me. The biggest difference I see is the two i7 CPUs have Hyperthreading, and my i5 does not. The i7-7700k also seems like it requires more power, so I know I'd need to figure out if my PSU can handle it. Would the i7 CPUs be a big upgrade for me? My reasons for wanting to upgrade mostly revolve around the upcoming Assassin's Creed game, which states the i7-6700 is what is required to run on high settings.

I guess my biggest concern is that games coming out this year seem to be requiring CPUs that are at the max level my motherboard can handle. I'm worried if I upgrade to the i7-7700 now, I'll not get a lot of time out of it before it's falling behind with new games. On top of this, I need a new GPU too, but that's a whole other topic I've not even started to consider yet.

Solution
Greetings,
I thank you for taking the time to read over my thread, and hopefully be able to help me with my decision. I currently am using a i5-7600K with a Asus PRIME-Z270-A LGA1151 and I'm looking to upgrade to an i7-7700/7700K. According to my motherboard's compatible list, the 7700/K/T is as high as I can go as far as semi-current CPUs go. I have this comparison set up, but to be honest, not much of it means anything to me. The biggest difference I see is the two i7 CPUs have Hyperthreading, and my i5 does not. The i7-7700k also seems like it requires more power, so I know I'd need to figure out if my PSU can handle it. Would the i7 CPUs be a big upgrade for me? My reasons for wanting to upgrade...
Greetings,
I thank you for taking the time to read over my thread, and hopefully be able to help me with my decision. I currently am using a i5-7600K with a Asus PRIME-Z270-A LGA1151 and I'm looking to upgrade to an i7-7700/7700K. According to my motherboard's compatible list, the 7700/K/T is as high as I can go as far as semi-current CPUs go. I have this comparison set up, but to be honest, not much of it means anything to me. The biggest difference I see is the two i7 CPUs have Hyperthreading, and my i5 does not. The i7-7700k also seems like it requires more power, so I know I'd need to figure out if my PSU can handle it. Would the i7 CPUs be a big upgrade for me? My reasons for wanting to upgrade mostly revolve around the upcoming Assassin's Creed game, which states the i7-6700 is what is required to run on high settings.

I guess my biggest concern is that games coming out this year seem to be requiring CPUs that are at the max level my motherboard can handle. I'm worried if I upgrade to the i7-7700 now, I'll not get a lot of time out of it before it's falling behind with new games. On top of this, I need a new GPU too, but that's a whole other topic I've not even started to consider yet.
With i7 7700k you would gain more cores and threads as well as some frequency at boost but frequency you can gain by slight OC anyway. It will still be 3 generations behind so you should start planning for something new.

Solution

Barbatum083

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2015
With i7 7700k you would gain more cores and threads as well as some frequency at boost but frequency you can gain by slight OC anyway. It will still be 3 generations behind so you should start planning for something new.
Thanks, I think you confirmed in my mind what I was worried about. I guess I'll start looking into a new PC for future games I hope to play.