[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my CPU

Solution
I would say that the 3800x will last longer. Here's a catch 22 though. If I've read right, AMD will be releasing their 4000 series of CPUs which should drop into your board with a bios update.

For example, I've got a 1st generation b350 board, but if I update my bios, I can use almost any of the 3000 series CPUs. So with whatever board you select, that may be an option.

I guess what I'm saying, there's nothing wrong at all with the 3800x if that the route you go. But you might consider the 3600 or 3600x for now, wait for the 4000 series to land, and if they are a significant improvement in performance, update your bios, grab the fastest CPU from that series you can and sell your 3600/3600x. Just an idea you may consider.

But...
Since you've already got ddr4 3200 MHz you might look into the AMD ryzen series. Something like a ryzen 3600 or 3600x and b450 motherboard. You could also go with a ryzen 2600 for a bit less and still have decent performance.

But if you want to stay Intel that's an option also.

CharlieMKE

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Okay after looking at the different option AMD looks like a landslide choice, right now I'm looking at what Ohio_buckeye recommends which is a Ryzen 3600x, I'm also looking at a Ryzen 3800x for around another $100 than the 3600x. Looking at different motherboards I would like to oc my processors I'm looking at two different motherboards one being the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard and the other being a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Motherboard. I'm definitely not going to be using wifi on the board itself but is there any difference in the overclocking itself will one be better than the other that is my question.

My main concern is going to be on if the Ryzen 3800x will bottleneck other components. also with switching to AMD will my intel GPU be effected in any way. finally on the motherboard to chose I'm just looking for a board that I can overclock my CPU with efficiently.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
Your list is fine. I'll upgrade to 6 gen i7, or better overclockable cpu that your motherboard supports. Also you have very slow hdd. If you install games on it should cause a problems. I also add 1 tb ssd to install games. How I say, everything else is fine.

greigm78

Reputable
Sep 28, 2018
Okay after looking at the different option AMD looks like a landslide choice, right now I'm looking at what Ohio_buckeye recommends which is a Ryzen 3600x, I'm also looking at a Ryzen 3800x for around another $100 than the 3600x. Looking at different motherboards I would like to oc my processors I'm looking at two different motherboards one being the MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Motherboard and the other being a MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi Motherboard. I'm definitely not going to be using wifi on the board itself but is there any difference in the overclocking itself will one be better than the other that is my question.

My main concern is going to be on if the Ryzen 3800x will bottleneck other components. also with switching to AMD will my intel GPU be effected in any way. finally on the motherboard to chose I'm just looking for a board that I can overclock my CPU with efficiently.

If not using the wifi, don't pay for it. Something like a B450 Tomahawk Max will probably be a better option than the lower end X570 chip, unless you want PCIe 4.0 but you would be restricted to NVMe drives for that if you are keeping your GPU.
On your GPU, it will work fine. It's a nVidia card rather than Intel and will work perfectly well. You won't get any bottlenecks with the 3600X or 3800X.

I would say that the 3800x will last longer. Here's a catch 22 though. If I've read right, AMD will be releasing their 4000 series of CPUs which should drop into your board with a bios update.

For example, I've got a 1st generation b350 board, but if I update my bios, I can use almost any of the 3000 series CPUs. So with whatever board you select, that may be an option.

I guess what I'm saying, there's nothing wrong at all with the 3800x if that the route you go. But you might consider the 3600 or 3600x for now, wait for the 4000 series to land, and if they are a significant improvement in performance, update your bios, grab the fastest CPU from that series you can and sell your 3600/3600x. Just an idea you may consider.

But if you want to set and forget the CPU, then buy the best cpu you can afford today, overclock if you like, and be happy.

Solution

CharlieMKE

Reputable
Apr 2, 2017
Okay, I see where ohio_buckeye is coming from with waiting I think I'm just going to get a Ryzen 3800x with a MSI x570 board then I think I'm set thanks for the help folks :)