[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my i7 4790 -- CPU Suggestions

Toshz

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hey guys,

I'm currently looking into a new CPU (mostly wanna have around 6 VMS up for labs and gaming), my current budget is $600 bucks for the CPU.

I currently own an i7 4790k but i feel like it struggles with both VMS and CPU intensive games (a.k.a ubisoft games).

I'm torn between 1950x, i9 9900k or a simpler option i7 8700k (maybe i7 9700k ? haha)

Would appreciate any input.

-------------------------------------------------------
i7 4790
16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (dual channel -- 1800)
H97 Board
1TB HDD -- 256GB SSD (OS Drive)
GTX 1080

Solution
For gaming, there is nothing better than a I7-9700K@5.0
The i9-9900K will also run at 5.0 but gives you 8 more threads which is likely useful if you are also running many VM.s.
You realize, I hope, that you will also need a decent Z390 based motherboard and DDR4 ram.
With a large number of VM's, you might even want 32gb of ram.

Threadripper is good for batch production of multithreaded apps and possibly for many vm.s
But, it will be a step backwards for gaming because of the poor single thread performance.
1. bad time for upgrade, 8 gen is obsolete although very capable, probably will alst for years, but still 14nm+, 9th gen? thats some monstrosity put up together to respond to AMD progress, nothing new at all architecture wise, its just the refresh of the refresh, thus 14nm++, plus also have heating issues and yadda yadda.

ok, all in all, you have the best CPU for your mobo, so any upgrades will require a new mobo and DDR4, then, its likely that intel will sort out that 10nm problem eventually, wich, will likely not be compatible with the z390 (8th/9th gen), so you upgrade to those and not so later on you'll be stuck with the old gen refreshes of the refreshes... oh god...

so if you really want and need to upgrade, go for 9700k... 8 cores is better than 6 cores and 12 threads... but i'd wait for whats next this year. (probably)

InvalidError

Titan
9th gen? thats some monstrosity put up together to respond to AMD progress, nothing new at all architecture wise, its just the refresh of the refresh, thus 14nm++
From what I have heard, Icelake/10nm has slipped into 2020 and we'll be getting yet another Coffee Lake refresh with 10C20T on 14nm+++++++ this year. Not cranking up the core count as quickly as AMD is with Ryzen 3 expected to max out at 16C32T, but at least not stagnating at the same mainstream core count it did from 2010 through 2017.

The i9-9900K will also run at 5.0 but gives you 8 more threads which is likely useful if you are also running many VM.s.
You realize, I hope, that you will also need a decent Z390 based motherboard and DDR4 ram.

Threadripper is good for batch production of multithreaded apps and possibly for many vm.s
But, it will be a step backwards for gaming because of the poor single thread performance.

Solution

christianpratt22

Prominent
Oct 16, 2017
I’d reccoemnd waiting for the 3rd generation of AMD Ryzen processors. They’re just around the corner and will offer amazing performance with new 7nm manufacturing that will change the game. You will get the same performance if not better from the new Ryzen 5 processor than a top of the line i7 at under $300. IPC performance of 3rd gen Ryzen is vastly improved and will continue to improve with time, you won’t be drastically different FPS wise compared to an I7/I9 OC’d.

Toshz

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

Yep, I do know i have to get a new base (mobo + ram), sadly :( hahah