Looking to upgrade my laptop.

Chaotic Crimson

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 9, 2014
I have a gateway ms2273 with an Intel Pentium processor (came stock with it) but I was wondering if I could replace it with a 2nd generation i5 processor from a broken laptop laying around without changing the motherboard. Is it compatible or should I just give up on it?

Solution
You should just give up.

Unless you know for sure that the working laptop fully supports that CPU (not just same socket, but BIOS as well) you're out of luck but based on what you've said I highly doubt it.

Also, if it WAS the same socket then the cooling solution would have been designed around the CPU heat so if you got one with a lot more processing power your system would run too hot.

Long story short, there's likely several reasons it wouldn't work at all, or not work well.
You should just give up.

Unless you know for sure that the working laptop fully supports that CPU (not just same socket, but BIOS as well) you're out of luck but based on what you've said I highly doubt it.

Also, if it WAS the same socket then the cooling solution would have been designed around the CPU heat so if you got one with a lot more processing power your system would run too hot.

Long story short, there's likely several reasons it wouldn't work at all, or not work well.

Solution