Question Looking to upgrade my motherboard so I can upgrade from pcie 3.0 to pcie 4.0. And future amd grapics cards.

Jan 25, 2024
Hello all I needed some help to 'upgrade' my motherboard to get from pcie 3.0 to pcie 4.0 and needed help choosing either a b550 motherboard or x570 i think it's called. Which one would be good? I'm kinda settled on either MSI or asus tuf mobo. if one is better let me know! my budget is around $150 USD. I also wasn't sure about the asrock steel legend if that is worth anything. Here are my pc specs. Also need a new m.2. for storage. preferably 4TB at a good cheap price but that is gonna be rough.
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO: ASrock A520M-HDV motherboard
PSU: ASUS TUF GAMING 550W bronze rated power supply
RAM: Corsair vengance LPX DDR4
GPU: AMD RX 6600 (Regular)
I plan to upgrade the gpu because i run a lg 144hz ips monitor. thank you.

Jan 25, 2024
What else is involved in this 3.0 to 4.0 change?

M.2 drive?
Minimal difference, if any.

GPU?
Do you also need a new PSU?
550 watts psu i currently have should be sufficent enough. what would you recommend for the mobo and gpu? im not buying all at once just one at a time honestly.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What about the cheapest pcie 4.0 mobo? or just get a b650 mobo instead? or get a faster gpu for the mobo?

But what's the reason for needing to buy an entirely new motherboard for PCIE 4.0? The need is niche, so it would be useful to know if you have one of the very few reasons. No point in getting you to spend a single dollar if you're not going to see any actual benefit.

Hello all I needed some help to 'upgrade' my motherboard to get from pcie 3.0 to pcie 4.0 and needed help choosing either a b550 motherboard or x570 i think it's called. Which one would be good? I'm kinda settled on either MSI or asus tuf mobo. if one is better let me know! my budget is around $150 USD. I also wasn't sure about the asrock steel legend if that is worth anything. Here are my pc specs. Also need a new m.2. for storage. preferably 4TB at a good cheap price but that is gonna be rough.
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
MOBO: ASrock A520M-HDV motherboard
PSU: ASUS TUF GAMING 550W bronze rated power supply
RAM: Corsair vengance LPX DDR4
GPU: AMD RX 6600 (Regular)
I plan to upgrade the gpu because i run a lg 144hz ips monitor. thank you.
You need to change practically everything to see any practical improvement to whole system. I would consider MB change to B550 chipset for more practical reasons. Better BIOS that allows OC and has more options for optimization, more PCIe x16 and M.2 slots. As A520 MBs are pretty basic. most B550 MBs have more connectors for USB and fans as well as sound outputs, Those are real things to look for.

Lets say someone gives you a 4090. If you where to run it in your current motherboard pcie3 and then spend your $150 to get a pcie4 motherboard (assuming same cpu/memory/etc) it will run exactly the same.
The pcie version is not limiting video cards.

Jan 25, 2024
But what's the reason for needing to buy an entirely new motherboard for PCIE 4.0? The need is niche, so it would be useful to know if you have one of the very few reasons. No point in getting you to spend a single dollar if you're not going to see any actual benefit.
I wouldn't worry about it now. I bought a atx mobo. the reason i needed one is i wanted to upgrade for pcie 4.0 is i won't be buying anymore hardware aside from a new gpu for several years. That's all. I appreciate your help :)

Jan 25, 2024
Lets say someone gives you a 4090. If you where to run it in your current motherboard pcie3 and then spend your $150 to get a pcie4 motherboard (assuming same cpu/memory/etc) it will run exactly the same.
The pcie version is not limiting video cards.
That wasn't the real reason....

Jan 25, 2024
You need to change practically everything to see any practical improvement to whole system. I would consider MB change to B550 chipset for more practical reasons. Better BIOS that allows OC and has more options for optimization, more PCIe x16 and M.2 slots. As A520 MBs are pretty basic. most B550 MBs have more connectors for USB and fans as well as sound outputs, Those are real things to look for.
I've chosen a x570 mobo. i appreciate your insight.

Reactions: CountMike