[SOLVED] Looking to upgrade my old Intel system. Your thoughts?

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Hello all,

I'm Looking to upgrade my old Intel system by switching to a current and comparable version of an AMD system.

I use my PC, obviously, for daily tasks. I use SketchUp and V-Ray for casual designs and rendering (about 10 to 15 hrs a week). I work on heavily compiled Excel files for my work. And, last but not least, if and when I have time, I play COD Warzone /MP, and a few strategic games such as Civ 6, C&C, etc. I also would like to setup a few VMs for various projects on my new PC. While I am pretty sure the PC I wish to build is going to be an overkill now, I usually upgrade every 4 years or so. So, please keep that in mind for future proofing. Also, where I live, everything is overpriced, therefore price sensitivity is not a factor.

Current setup:
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K
Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series F4-2400C15-8GVR x 4 (32GB in Total)
Graphics: ASUS GTX 1080 OC Edition 8GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i
Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T FT
Storage: 860 EVO Pro 1Tb x 2
This was a sweet rig back in its day. To some extent still is.

Wish to upgrade to:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3950X
Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (Thought about Forumla, but I am not into watercooling that much)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16
Graphics: GeForce RTX™ 2080 Ti OC edition 11GB GDDR6
PSU: Corsair RM850 (Already own this)
Cooling: Hydro Series H115i RGB Platinum
Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X
Storage: 970 EVO Plus SSD 1TB - M.2 NVMe x 2
Lots of RGB 🤦‍♂️...

Why the case? Because, I'm nearly a middle-aged man, who likes a case with clean profile, but I also don't mind to indulge in a little (!) bit of RGB. The only thing with this case that I am worried about is whether with the front tempered glass it provides adequate airflow.
Why ASUS? Because, I choose ASUS in the past at some point for reasons then logical to me, and over the course stuck with it. I have no rigid preference in this matter, but if I can still stick with (since I am familiar with it) all the better.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be more than grateful if you shared them. Thanks...

Solution
All the parts are fine, the case won't have a great amount of cooling, but the only way around that is to get a different case with a mesh front for intake. It won't cause any issues you will just have higher temps in that case.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Am I so far off that the above post is a lost cause, or am I so dang on the money, that there's just nothing more to add? Sad humor! .... Well, maybe I should have been more clear... Let's do it this way:
  1. As for the mobo, should I switch to something else, or the Asus is decent enough for its price?
  2. Should I go with the Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz or does the Corsair also get the OK?
  3. Does the Corsair Crystal 570x provide sufficient airflow?
Now granted there are many answers to the above questions on this forum alone, let alone on the internet, but this forum helped me a lot with putting my old (current) rig together, so I'm definitely looking forward to your replies.

Last edited:

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
All the parts are fine, the case won't have a great amount of cooling, but the only way around that is to get a different case with a mesh front for intake. It won't cause any issues you will just have higher temps in that case.
Great thanks... What would you recommend for the case? Maybe an older obsidian?

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Why would you swap out the 1080? For the games you play that card should be absolutely fine. I would not spend the pile of money they ask for a 2080ti. Especially not if the next gen of cards might offer comparable performance for less money. Hopefully a lot less.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
Why would you swap out the 1080? For the games you play that card should be absolutely fine. I would not spend the pile of money they ask for a 2080ti. Especially not if the next gen of cards might offer comparable performance for less money. Hopefully a lot less.
Truth be told, this is the only part that I have a hard time spending on. For me (at least) the upgrade is not totally justified.

aah1357

Honorable
Jun 2, 2016
I like Phanteks cases, the ECLIPSE P400A is good and has a mesh front, the ENTHOO PRO M is also nice for the larger size stuff. I have a setup in both and Enthoo Pro and an Eclipse, just not those exact models.
Thank you for introducing me to Phanteks cases. Top marks for Evolv X and P400S TG looks (in addition to build quality and functionality)... With the 570x, apparently I'd have a tough time fitting both the ATX mobo and a 280mm AIO (which I already own and cannot return it) at the same time. So, then if I stay with Corsair, I'll most probably switch to 500D. Unless, I go with a front radiator install, of which I am not a big fan ... (no pun intended). Otherwise Phanteks it is.

Last edited: