May 12, 2014
Here is my current specs

Z77X UP7 MOBO
I7 3770K
8 GIG DDR 3 RAM
GTX 770 4GB
ANTEC 620 WATT PSU
1080p MONITOR

Now, im looking to upgrade my GPU when i have the cash because my GTX 770 is falling behind and current release games i need to tone down some graphics to get a solid 60FPS

Will the 980TI complement my rig nicely?? How will it fair in current gen games?? Because i have a strict policy that i WANT to MAX EVERY game i play without my card struggling to keep up the FPS

I wanted to get the TITAN, but its a BIT out of my price range. But i notice the TITAN has got 12GB VRAM compared to 980TI 6GB VRAM. How much of a diff will this makes if i run Skyrim with TEX mods and ENB with SWEET FX ect ect.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Superclocked-Graphics-12G-P4-2992-KR/dp/B00UXTN5P0/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438531408&sr=1-1&keywords=gtx+titan

ALSO, how much will i loose out if i choose the 980TI over the TITAN (accept for the VRAM ofcourse)

Definitely definitely definitely go for the 980 Ti; forget the Titan or Titan X. I only play 1080p @ 60 Hz, but I will soon be upgrading (hopefully) to 3440 x 1440. If you have the money then go for it and enjoy.

But.... your power supply brand + wattage makes me nervous. If you can afford to upgrade it, I'd recommend that you do so. The Antec brand is listed as un-tier, but something tells me that it's not a quality brand. I owned one a really long time ago, but I just vaguely remember them not being good, but I'm not 100% sure. If it's not a financial burden then I recommend that you just upgrade.

*** power requirements for graphics cards ***
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

*** power supply tier list ***
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

Sparky862

Distinguished
May 12, 2014
Hay RCALD2000 not sure how the TIER list works for the PSU, but i see that 600WATTS is recommended for the 980TI or the TITAN X.

The fact that the TITAN X has x2 more VRAM concerns me when comparing it with the 6GB VRAM from the 980TI. What bout graphics mods and current games?? Witcher 3 max?? GTA V max?? Games like those.

What bout Skyrim with a lot of graphic MODS, ENB + SWEET FX??

I seriously doubt you'll routinely hit over 6 GB of VRAM at 1080p gaming. I play Witcher 3 and GTA 5 and I haven't had a problem. Doesn't really make financial sense to get Titan X, but if you want it... and you can afford it.. then go for it. I have a lot of things in my computer that many would say is a waste of money. But ultimately we make our own money and it's our choice =>

There was a user earlier this week who opted to buy two Titan X's over two 980's, simply because they are black in color and matched his build. That's a $700 difference. That guy is clearly in the ZFG (Zero F#$'*s Given) category. I don't personally have it like that, but I envy those who do.

I don't play Skyrim, so I can't give you an opinion on that. I recommend that you watch a few YouTube videos and monitor the VRAM being utilized during game play. That should give you a good idea, especially if the person showcases their settings, in order to prove that they maxed every option for that resolution.

Sparky862

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Well, currently my GTX 770 4GB struggles to keep a SOLID 40-45FPS in Skyrim with all my graphic MODS, ENB and SWEET FX.

So i ended up in downloading the LITE versions of my GRAPHIC MODS only because ENB and SWEET FX steals a lot o FPS and i could have found a balance that way to at least get a 50-55FPS.

Ultimately in the end, WITHOUT my ENB and SWEET FX i can download the MAX GRAPHIC versions of my mods and get a solild 60FPS. But downloading the ENB and SWEET FX brings my whole rig to its knees and i need to start compromising to get playable FPS.

Thats why 6GB VRAM vs 12GB VRAM concerns me. Will 2GB VRAM make such a diff in my current VRAM to get more FPS than i currently can get??

I assume the VRAM will help but more importantly, the 980 Ti kicks the crap out of a 770; no offense to 770 owners. Good card, but it doesn't compete. Why not buy the 980 Ti from Amazon and if you don't like it, simply return it. They have an excellent no-hassle return policy.

Yes, I own everything in my signature, plus a few other things that I haven't taken the time to add. For now I've only been playing Witcher 3 and GTA 5. I also downloaded a game from steam today called Hatred. Savage game. Yes, I max everything. Well Witcher 3 I have on ultra. But there is a hidden option, uber, which I haven't gotten around to tweaking the ini file to get to.

Sparky862

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Yes, the 980TI kicks the living crap outa the 770. Problem is im from South Africa. Let me explain

Check the cost on AMAZON
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeForce-GV-N98TG1-Graphics-Gaming-6GD/dp/B00ZJP9DMC/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438535270&sr=1-2&keywords=980ti

Compared to the price here which WE pay for the SAME card
http://www.takealot.com/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-980-g1-gaming-edition-graphics-card-4gb-gdd/PLID32849982

Just use google and convert the price diff. So if i purchase a card, it NEEDS to be correct 1st time buy because i dont have the time to return cards and stuff as i am strictly speaking purchasing over seas

I understand now. Although you second link is the wrong card. It's a 980, not a 980 Ti. But I get your point. I don't know much about the gigabyte version. I personally like MSI and EVGA. I heard a unconfirmed rumor that the gigabyte card has coil whine. You should check user reviews just to make sure.

Sparky862

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Coil Whine?? Care to elaborate....

"Coil noise or coil whine is a phenomenon in electronics which produces undesirable audible sound." It's when the inductors on the GPU PCB makes an audible noise; basically it's a very annoying sound. There are plenty of YouTube videos about it.

No. I play 1080p. I will be upgrading to an ultra-wide in the somewhat near future: 3440 x 1440 resolution. If I were considering 4K gaming, I would definitely have two 980 Ti's in SLI. That's an extremely taxing resolution.

Sparky862

Distinguished
May 12, 2014

Also, will a 850 WATT even be enough if ONE card requires AT LEAST 600 WATT??