looking to upgrade

Sirens

Commendable
Feb 2, 2017
hi, so right now i am running an AMD a10 7700k with a gtx 1060 and an msi mobo (socket fm2/fm2+). i was looking to upgrade my CPU as i am not really getting much benefit from my 1060. i am tight on money however and i am looking for the best possible upgrade. i was looking to spend around $100 total. i primarily only use my computer for gaming and the internet so i dont need anything to fancy. suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks! -mike

Solution
There's not a whole lot you can do for $100 tbh, all the CPUs that fit your motherboard are slow. You'll need to buy at least a new motherboard and CPU and, if you buy new, DDR4 RAM as well. I'd suggest saving up for a Ryzen 1400/1500X, mobo, and RAM.
There's not a whole lot you can do for $100 tbh, all the CPUs that fit your motherboard are slow. You'll need to buy at least a new motherboard and CPU and, if you buy new, DDR4 RAM as well. I'd suggest saving up for a Ryzen 1400/1500X, mobo, and RAM.

Solution

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
^ This. If you want something cheap i'd look into a Pentium G4560, B250 Motherboard an 8GB DDR4 which would be only $150-200 or so i think but don't expect any huge performance boost over your current CPU. Note however, you can always chuck in a stronger i5 7xxx later and re-use the Motherboard and RAM.