Question Looking to Upgrade

GeorgeTzef13

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Heyy everyone. I'll be upgrading my GPU and my PSU bcs they are quite old. And I'll probably be getting the GTX 1660 Super and the Be quiet system power 10 550W. But I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU as well. Right now I have the Intel Core i3-10105F and it's been pretty good but I'm thinking of getting the Intel Core i5-11400F. I guess my question is should I? Thanks!

try to get the higher clocked i5 variant like the 11600F if its not too costly. The turbo speeds of 4.4 vs 4.8 ghz is significant.

And for the GPU, what is the cost of RX6650XT and the Intel A770 there? closer to GTX1660 super?

Any NZXT C650 or seasonic focus plus 550 or Corsair RM550 or TXM650 or EVGA G series 550/650 available with the same price?

If you're truly asking if the GPU can bottleneck a CPU and not the other way around, then the answer is no. Why? Because the CPU doesn't wait for the GPU. The CPU can continue doing its job regardless of what the GPU is doing.

Besides, if you wanted to define "well balanced" or "used to its full potential" as say both the GPU and CPU are near 100%, but the CPU isn't near 100%, the easiest way to make the CPU get to 100% is to lower the clock speed. Which sounds ridiculous if you think about it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you're truly asking if the GPU can bottleneck a CPU and not the other way around, then the answer is no. Why? Because the CPU doesn't wait for the GPU. The CPU can continue doing its job regardless of what the GPU is doing.

Besides, if you wanted to define "well balanced" or "used to its full potential" as say both the GPU and CPU are near 100%, but the CPU isn't near 100%, the easiest way to make the CPU get to 100% is to lower the clock speed. Which sounds ridiculous if you think about it.
Not true.
If the CPU can put out 100 FPS in a given game but with the in game settings or resolution the video card can only put out 60 FPS then it has limited the CPU.

Not even going to comment on the 2nd paragraph.

If the CPU can put out 100 FPS in a given game but with the in game settings or resolution the video card can only put out 60 FPS then it has limited the CPU.
A bottleneck is when one part cannot literally perform its function because another part of the chain is too busy to tell it what to do. Tell me, does a GPU tell the CPU what to do?

In any case, the CPU's role in running a video game is to complete all of the logic (like input handling, game logic processing, AI, etc) such that in-game time lines up with real time. Presenting that information, be it audibly or visually, is only a benefit to the human and not strictly necessary for the game to work. If you want to say this is dumb, I would point you to say how Source engine games work: they create a server (which includes single player, it's just that the server has a max player setting of 1 and you can't change this while the server is running) that the players connect to. The game runs just fine without anyone in it, which means it runs without needing to process audio or video.

The only way for the GPU to bottleneck the CPU in this regard is if the CPU literally waits for the GPU to render a frame. But this isn't how modern game engines work because then frame rate would dictate how fast or slow the game runs.

There will always be a point in your system that will be the limiter in performance, it could be your monitors refresh rate, your CPU or GPU. As others have said you can pair a more powerful video card with that CPU but it doesn't really matter unless your not achieving the required performance for your use case.

GeorgeTzef13

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Please keep it to 1 thread.
Hey guys just a quick question. I have a MSI H510M-A PRO and a i3-10105F. And its been great but I'm looking to upgrade the CPU and i was thinking of getting the i5-11400F but i saw some posts and threads online that H510 chipset can't handle the i5 or something along those lines. I went for that CPU bcs i just want to replace the CPU and not the MOBO also. Will I have any problems if I get the i5?
SPECS:
CPU: i3-10105F
MOBO:MSI H510-A PRO
RAM:G.SKILL AEGIS 16GB 3200MHz
GPU:GTX 1660 Super
PSU:BeQuiet System Power 10 550W
Thanks

GeorgeTzef13

Honorable
Oct 4, 2016
Hey guys just a quick question. I have a MSI H510M-A PRO and a i3-10105F. And its been great but I'm looking to upgrade the CPU and i was thinking of getting the i5-11400F but i saw some posts and threads online that H510 chipset can't handle the i5 or something along those lines. I went for that CPU bcs i just want to replace the CPU but not the MOBO.
Will I have any problems if I get the i5?

Specs:
CPU: i3-10105F
MOBO: MSI H510-A PRO
RAM: G.SKILL AEGIS 16GB 3200MHz
GPU: GTX 1660 Super
PSU:BeQuiet System Power 10 550W
Thanks

^ i think with the latest BIOS, the locked chips wont have the options to release turbo duration and power limits in a H510 board. Only the XMP RAM profiles can be enabled if i remember correctly...

hence my suggetion for a higher clicked locked i5-11600 cpu.